Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2022, 03:02 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you lost all your camera gear in a fire ...

If you lost all your photo gear in a fire, and assuming it was fully insured, would you
  1. Replicate exactly what you had;
  2. Stick with the same system but make different specific choices of cameras and lenses;
  3. Jump to a new system;
  4. Get a new hobby?

I am heavily invested in Pentax gear, and so keep going in that direction. But if I were starting from scratch again, would I make the same choice I made in 2011? The landscape has certainly changed since then, so I am not certain I would.

Pros to sticking with Pentax:
  • I am familiar and comfortable with the echosystem;
  • There are some truly fantastic lenses in the lineup;
  • I enjoy the OVF of a DSLR;
  • The K1 and K3iii in particular are well suited to much of my photography.

Cons:
  • Pentax gear is not the good value financial proposition it once was;
  • Continuing uncertainty about Pentax direction and future;
  • Better options for birds and action;
  • Mirrorless brings its own advantages in size and viewfinder capabilities, especially in low light;
  • A more certain path forward?

How do you feel about this? Which way would you go?

(By the way, I do not wish this on anyone!)

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 03-27-2022 at 07:26 PM.
03-27-2022, 03:52 PM   #2
UMC

I chose Pentax in 1982 for a reason: The ME-Super was the most affordable, most compact semi automatic SLR on the market. Since then I have always had Pentaxes in my bag. If I were forced to re-acquire my active system - I would probably look into changing to something really compact. 3+ kg for the K-1 with battery grip and the 70-200/2.8 make me think "will I be able to carry this beast in 10 years from now?

On the other hand none of the full-frame mirrorless systems would match my understanding of "really compact". I must confess that the OM-D system looks tempting. These are real cuties that look and feel like real cameras. BUT: The future there is a lot more uncertain than the future of Pentax. And adapting to a 2x crop factor would be a culture shock for me.

No, I think in the end I would find myself bying a brand new K-1 II with all the limiteds and the holy trinity. And my wife would again get the K-3 III with its holy trinity. The only thing I guess would be irreplacable is my FA* 200/f4 Macro...

Last edited by UMC; 03-27-2022 at 04:54 PM.
03-27-2022, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
How do you feel about this? Which way would you go?
I'd go shopping, after hitting up the rental house or willing colleagues to try gear I'm possibly interested in but not experienced. Much has changed in the last decade, some of good. You're buying a tool, and tools need to work with and for you.
03-27-2022, 04:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I'd buy a K70 and a DA50 and save the rest of my money and just go out and push this combination to its limits for as long as possible.

03-27-2022, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Waffles Quote
I'd buy a K70 and a DA50 and save the rest of my money and just go out and push this combination to its limits for as long as possible.
I think that would take you a long way!
03-27-2022, 04:27 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First thing is I would try to do a lot of research and reading as I know little about other makes.

Closing in on 80, I find that my photography has changed considerably. I find I like inanimate objects a lot more – they are cooperative and don't move when I am trying to take their picture. And I want to put a mirrorless camera up to my eye (with and without my glasses) and see through the viewfinder for myself.

Are there cameras out there that better suit what I am doing? What are the lens options? Yes, I would have to consider all my options and choices. As @JohnMc said above, "You're buying a tool..."

Now will AggieMom let me buy new stuff?? A totally different question.
03-27-2022, 04:30 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I think that would take you a long way!
Yeah, Id never master that combination so Id go at least until I got bored

03-27-2022, 05:00 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
First thing is I would try to do a lot of research and reading as I know little about other makes.
True for me, too - and I would find that a good argument for Pentax again. I just don't have to think about doing most things with my cameras (k-3 and K-1, both Mark I versions). I recently had a chance to play with (older - ~5-10 years) Canons and Sonys, and found it very frustrating - especially the Sony NEX-7 system.
03-27-2022, 05:11 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you lost all your camera gear in a fire, and assuming it was fully insured, would you Replicate exactly what you had; Stick with the same system but make different specific choices of cameras and lenses; Jump to a new system; Get a new hobby?
Considering a vast amount of photographic gear I own ranges from common to the exotic, rare, and no longer made (I make sure it is looked after and well maintained) second-hand on Ebay, I have no doubt it would fetch a considerable amount of money*.

Would I still buy Pentax cameras? hell yes! The FA limited lenses aren't really designed to work on anything else. The only thing I would change is I wouldn't buy into Canon, not again. I would get more studio equipment and medium format digital camera gear though: Pentax, Leica and Hasselblad the kind of gear that is built to last.

*easily enough to buy a decent second house...even at current market prices.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-27-2022 at 09:57 PM.
03-27-2022, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've pondered this question a few times,
When I went to a digital SLR in 2005, I bought an istDS, to use the old K&M lenses I had for my film gear.
4 more digital bodies and a dozen or so digital lenses later, I'm pretty immersed in Pentax.

I've often said that I should have gone with something else, probably Nikon, when I went digital, mostly for the availability and visibility, and being able to get your hands on one to try it out before you buy. Only my istDS was I able to buy in a physical store. But that's not really a factor anymore, as there are not any physical camera stores in convenient distance from me now. If I buy anything, it's going to be on-line, without getting a feel for it first.

I shot both Canon and Nikon film, So I think I have a feel for their gear, but no direct experience with their digital systems.
But I'm not thrilled where either of them are going with mirrorless, no experience with Sony,
I like shooting birds and other wildlife, I can't fathom using long lenses with a screen; personally, I need optics to shoot any kind of action.

I recently bought a Fuji GFX50R, for scenic and landscape work. I am surprised how much of a learning curve (for me at least) there is to their menu system.
Even though every new Pentax body has had a revised menu structure from the last one, I've been able to find things, and get the cameras set up the way I like fairly quickly and easily.
The Fuji menu is Ok for the basics, but there are tics and twerks that I haven't sorted out, Mostly I think I need more time with it.

Not sure how much of this is an old-dog, new-tricks thing or Pentax having a better organized menu system.
Would be some tough choices if I had to start over from scratch, given the current photo world landscape.
I know I would try to find something that was just a camera, it needs some dials and knobs, and interchangeable lenses.
03-27-2022, 05:46 PM - 6 Likes   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've shot with lots of brands, and own Sony and Canon cameras and lenses.

If I was to lose everything, and had an insurance payout, I think I'd have just a K-3 III and second hand 645Z, with just key lenses for them both (say, the DA*11-18, DA*16-50, DA*50-135 and DFA150-450 for the former, 35mm f3.5 and 120mm f4 Macro for the latter), instead of the crap I've accumulated.
03-27-2022, 05:47 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd for sure stick with Pentax, but not sure if I'd try to rebuild my current collection or go a different route/improve on it. I guess it would depend on what's available and for how much. I bought my gear used, so I wouldn't be able to do a like for like replacement.
03-27-2022, 06:49 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A K-1ii, a K-3iii and a few really nice lenses would do nicely. I suppose I could be tempted to hold back a little and wait to see what's released in place of the K-1ii.
03-27-2022, 06:55 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I already own multiple systems. I have no clue what I would do. I likely would keep Pentax apsc gear and thin down a few less used items. But who knows. I would likely replace my Sony gear with Sony gear - since sharing that with my dad is important.
03-27-2022, 07:58 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think I'd have to stay with Pentax. It's everything from the OVF to all the lovely Takumar lenses etc. that I can use with the modern bodies. The community also seems unique to me. I think if I switched systems, I'd feel there was a hole in it all.