Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2022, 08:20 AM   #61
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I lost all my gear

First I would cry! 45 years of accumulating gear would be a hard loss!

Second, I am in my 60's and it would most likely be the last replacement I would go through. Downsizing would be a consideration.

I have tried other gear, I used a canon for about two years, and I still preferer Pentax.

If I lost everything and could replace with anything?
35mm DSLR category I would purchased a K70 (or used KP) and the same lenses I currently have (18-135, 55-300 zooms) and add a 100mm macro
I like this setup and it works well for me. My wife would have a similar setup (K70) but with a single zoom (Sigma 18-300mm) and loves it.

I would also purchase a K1000 and a few basic lenses similar to what I have now (50mm, 28mm 200mm) as I still like film.

Medium format, well I have a variety, all film, and that would be another discussion.
Most likely I would replace my Mamiya 645 Pro with the same or similar setup for medium format film. This has become my go to medium format camera (645)
All the other medium format gear I would replace with a Pentax 6x7 and lenses.

Then you have extra gear, tripods, bags, and the like to consider. That I would have to research before making a decision.
I live in rural Wyoming so a trip to a big city to look at selections would be in order.

03-29-2022, 08:24 AM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I would have to go shopping. And seriously evaluate the options. I have been with Pentax for almost 15 years (not long compared to some) but long enough to accumulate a lot of 'stuff' that I like to have around but I likely would not buy again. That 'stuff' is one of the primary reasons I stay with Pentax.

Screw mount lenses, F series lenses, A series lenses, books on Pentax gear. Upon reflection I stay with Pentax because I have a lot of Pentax 'stuff'. If that all went away, why would I stay with Pentax? I still might, but I would definitely have to take a step back and evaluate what I really need in a camera system.

I have a friend who has moved to the Canon R system and is simply blown away with the performance. All new development for Canon and Nikon is in the mirrorless area. Maybe it would be time to take a look at other brands and other systems.

But I really, really hope that fire doesn't happen...................
03-29-2022, 08:33 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think I would look at the 10-18mp's as attachments on emails and size on websites have not grown so much as images I would also look at the largest zoom range with the sharpest zoom lens, as a long zoom is still sharper than a cropped image in most cases. I would not need so many gadgets on the camera because at the end of the day half the extras are turned off anyway. I also don't like that pentax has been descrininated against by manufactures like Tamron I believe pentax could mount a very sucessful lawsuit against their company. Funny that nikon and canon and sony have access to Tamron lenses pentax doesn't have access to. For the last few months I haven't touched any of my pentax cameras but when a nice sunset hits and I'm out I will take my k5ii and a canon 450d-650d I have so many batteries now I wish the sizes were more standardised. I would get the same plus ki or k3 the one with the largest sensor. I really dislike being corrupted by playing with colours in raw files (thank's Clackers) as now its too easy to get a brilliant photo when I like realism. Or used to like it.
03-29-2022, 08:37 AM   #64

I've done this...

So what did I do. I regretfully replaced my k-1 with a Nikon D810, which broke and was in continuous service so I replaced it with a Sony A7r2. Which I liked the megapixel size but I hated the camera for not being ergonomic or simple to customize the settings for my needs. I also hated the color of the images so I traded it for a camera that solved those issues and created another problem, the Nikon Z5.

The Nikon was fine except the megapixel count was low for my professional needs. I updated my lenses to include the Rollei 135 f2.8, Yashica 50mm f1.8, Samyang 85mm 1.4 and Tamron 17-35 f2.8-4. I felt these lenses were fine for my professional portrait work and I even played a little with the wide angle zoom but the camera had quirks and like my previous Nikon, looked like it would forever be in service. So I replaced it with my current Sony A7r2. Yes I bought it for a second time. I had to sell the 17-35 in order to have enough for the trade.

Then my Pentax itch needed to be scratched. The only reason why I went mirrorless for my professional work was focusing aids for portraits. For my personal play it's Pentax all day. No camera is more rugged, with high iso performance, with accurate colours, and runs on AA batteries!

So I bought the most current camera I could find that runs on double AA batteries. A Pentax K-5 is. I then purchased a sigma 18-200 for adventure photos which is 60 percent of my personal photos and I'm currently looking for a Pentax 12-24 or 10-17 for other 40 percent of my personal work, party photos and landscapes.

03-29-2022, 08:46 AM   #65

I do actually not know. I am finding, more and more, that I use LiveView for my K-1 to be sure the focus is actually correct. Is that a sign?
I also find Z7 II with a set of F1.8 primes and som nice zooms very tempting.
If Pentax had a K-1 III with the AF of K-3 III, then I would probably get that and buy Pentax gear again.
But, now they don't.
Will I be satisfied with a K-3 III ?
03-29-2022, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
If you lost all your photo gear in a fire, and assuming it was fully insured, would you
  1. Replicate exactly what you had;
  2. Stick with the same system but make different specific choices of cameras and lenses;
  3. Jump to a new system;
  4. Get a new hobby?
That would be horrible.

I currently photograph with a Nikon D750 and a Pentax K-1 Mk I. I was a long-time Nikon shooter, but a few years ago, swapped out a Nikon D610 for the Pentax camera.

I also should mention that I'm not rich, and almost all my camera equipment, I've purchased used. And that I am a night photographer.

If something happened to all my camera equipment, I would probably begin again by purchasing a used Pentax K-1 and a 28-105mm lens to get me started and slowly build up again, getting a 15-30mm (or not...read on) and a Lensbaby Edge 35 Optic.

I have been using a Nikon D750 for Milky Way and fisheye. This is more a function of the lenses that I have than anything else, although the D750 is certainly a really good camera as well.

So if all my equipment went up in flames, I might be tempted to get a second Pentax K-1 and go all in, getting a fisheye lens and a really good Milky Way lens (I am using the Irix 15mm f/2.4, which has a detent for true infinity) in a K-Mount instead. If I did this, I probably would not bother to get the 15-30mm any more.

I do have an interest in some of the Nikon mirrorless stuff, but I suspect that I would not be able to have enough money to purchase that and the Z-Mount lenses, and I really would not be able to afford having two cameras. So I think for me, the dual K-1s might be the best way to go, in effect, sort of doubling down on Pentax.

Interesting question. Our situations would all be different, and there's not really any correct answer. Well, the "correct" answer is what is best for you.
03-29-2022, 08:54 AM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
First, most insurance policies will only pay a limited amount for loss of camera gear. You will need an rider for a specific value OR you'll need camera specific insurance. So assuming I have not bought extra insurance and I only receive a minimal payment, say $1000, then I'd probably have to decide whether I'm the same shooter I was when I bought the gear now gone.
I'm liking my Nikon Z5 and Nikon 40mm f2 lens that I spent a combined $1300 to buy. I'd like a K3.3 and a 31 Limited however I'm not sure I'd splurge for the $3000 at this point in life and time.
Finally I'd give my Leica M10R and one Leica lens and one Zeiss lens a proper send off by taking them to Staples for recycling.

03-29-2022, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #68
Loyal Site Supporter

If you lost all your photo gear in a fire, and assuming it was fully insured, would you
  2. Stick with the same system but make different specific choices of cameras and lenses;
  3. Jump to a new system;
  4. Get a new hobby?
I'd stay with Pentax, I came to Pentax for the lenses, and see no reason to change my mind. I would do my best to replicate what I am using now, the only problem is that I have a few unicorns that are not so easily replaced.
03-29-2022, 10:36 AM - 4 Likes   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I think I'd have to stay with Pentax. It's everything from the OVF to all the lovely Takumar lenses etc. that I can use with the modern bodies. The community also seems unique to me. I think if I switched systems, I'd feel there was a hole in it all.
I have used Pentax gear since 1961. I fell into the system in a pawn shop in Vancouver BC with an AP and Tak 55/2.2 preset.

That means for 60 years or so my aperture control, focus control and (once I got a couple) zoom rings turn exactly opposite to Canon, but the main reason I wouldn't go that route has to do with their business practices where they force their loyal customer base to replace their entire system when they change it. Three times and counting. I once had a Montana friend who was shooting Minolta with a virtually identical system. We climbed mountains and such like carrying our systems on our backs. We couldn't see for the blue smoke coming out of this mouth when they switched systems with no slow switch options.

In Elk Island National Park (wood bison, plains bison and some birds) I ended up side by side with a Nikon shooter from Germany with multiple professional level bodies and lenses mounted on heavy duty tripods. He said that in his opinion the K mount was the sturdiest and most reliable out there and (horror!) said the Nikon mount was flimsy by comparison. No criticism of the M 400/5.6 was put forward. He travels the world with his gear and doesn't feel that because his choice is Nikon that should influence anyone else. He also said that his profession (not photography) gave him sufficient income to buy whatever he chose.

Having occasionally used a non viewfinder camera and/or iPhone, there is no way on God's green earth that I will ever use a system without a viewfinder. I would need a shroud like 8x10 shooters and that's too much work for this old fart.

Pentax for me. I'll stick with APS-C for the light weight. I'll stick with Pentax lenses and accessories because I can use anything from any period. I have 20x30 inch metallic prints in the local real estate office and chamber of. commerce and 16x20 canvas prints in the local library. The local arts council chair approaches me for donations for their annual art auction every year. I guess that Pentax equipment is good enough for me.
03-29-2022, 10:36 AM   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Equipment to keep and/or replace.

I have a big collection of Pentax medium format as well as K-mount cameras and lenses plus a number of Sony A-mount cameras. I have almost all of the medium format lenses for 645 and 67 formats. I would replace the 645Z camera, probably not replace the 645D camera, and replace about five of the 645 and maybe two of the 67 lenses--P645 90mm, P645 55mm, P645 150mm, P67 105mm and P67 75mm f 2.8, maybe one of the P67 zooms. Out of all the K-mount cameras, I would replace only the K-1 camera and of the K-mount lenses replace the three amigos, the PK 85mm f 1.4, three of my Zeiss lenses and three of my Leica lenses. Of the five Sony A-mount cameras, I would not replace any except the Sony A99, but would upgrade to the Sony A 99ii and keep my five A-mount Minolta and Sony lenses. Come to think of it, I have already started selling off some of my equipment, and will probably whittle it down to about the ones mentioned here.
03-29-2022, 10:41 AM   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That may prove difficult to determine as insurance coverage varies from company to company and also depends on the policy limitations. To replace the same items may prove impossible because some of us use equipment that is no longer in production. I personally own a couple vintage cameras and lenses for them, replacement would prove very difficult in the best scenario. Also, I have mono-lights that are no longer made and are very rarely found online.

If you are asking would I stay with the same make of camera and equipment, most likely I would as I have become familiar with it and would not want to learn an entirely new system. At my age, learning new tricks might prove difficult for this old dog.
03-29-2022, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #72
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

3. Jump to a new system;
  4. Get a new hobby?
Good question... The only thing I definitely do know is that I'd re-acquire a Ricoh GR (II or III, the jury is still out on that).

Apart from that, well, since I still want an OVF I guess Pentax would make sense. Everybody else seems to be in a hurry with abandoning proper viewfinders.

Should I go Pentax again I would be happy with a K1 (II) and
  • FA/A 20/2.8 (not as good as the DFA 21, but much smaller)
  • FA 28/2.8 (a great little lens, smaller than the 31)
  • FA 31
  • FA 43
  • FA 77 (I don't have this one today)
  • DFA 100 Macro
  • DFA 28-105
  • A glaring hole in the bag where there should be a (relatively) light-weight 100-400mm tele-zoom
  • Some old manual lenses, just for fun (the Super-Tak 50/1.4, "K" 30/2.8 and "K" or A 50/1.2 spring to mind)

And a compact "maybe" list consisting of a K-3 III and
  • DA 15 (the SMC version, I think)
  • DA 21
  • DA 40 (I don't have this one today)
  • DA 70
  • DA 18-55 PLM to have something small and WR
  • DA 16-85 even if it's not exactly small
  • DA 55-300 PLM

I don't have the three zoom listed above, but I think they'd be a better combo on APS-C than the 18-135 and SMC 55-300 I do have.

This is a "maybe" list because experience tells me It might get in a squeeze between the K-1 and the GR.

What I miss with Pentax is a reasonably sized xxx-400mm zoom. Canon, Nikon and Sigma all have xxx-400mm lenses weighing in at well under 1.5 kgs, I believe. By all means, I love my old DA 55-300, but it's less than perfect on the K-1. Then again, for telephoto use I should probably get a K3 III... I'd still like something longer than 300mm that's not 2+ kgs, though.

I don't know enough about the current offers from other brands, but I do notice that the DFA 150-450 weighs more than a Nikkor Z 100-400 and Nikon Z7 combined. Not sure it's worth giving up an OVF for, though.

To get back to the question posed, I guess I'd end up with the "same system but different camera/lenses" choice. Most of my current "collection" wouldn't be missed much
03-29-2022, 11:29 AM   #73

This discussion is relevant to me because I'm in the middle of negotiations with my ex-wife about property and asset division, from which I am expecting a reasonable payout.

I have a K-3 (first edition) and a K-30, the latter converted to IR. I dropped the K-30 on the ground a couple of years ago and I'm not sure whether I damaged the lens or damaged the camera, but ever since I have felt that the middle of the image is slightly 'soft'.

So, given an insurance payment as per the original premise of this thread, I would stick with what I really love and buy a K-3iii, sending my old K-3 to the IR converter's. I would retire the K-30 and the lens on it, a Sigma 17-50mm, perfect for my moody landscapes. I already have another Sigma 17-50 on the old K-3, so I would also invest in a Pentax lens for the new K-3 but I don't know which one yet.

Last edited by leehopkins; 03-29-2022 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Error in camera type
03-29-2022, 11:39 AM   #74
Veteran Member

I have had camera losses several times on break ins. way back i went from Canon fd system back to pentax with the mz5 and a small kit. next loss bought some extra equipment because i carry replacement cost and to replace say a 50mm f1.4 tak you need a 50mm 1.4 af lens/.....
last time i lost a lot of manual focus gear and most of my digital bodies ... that funded my move to fuji at the time , a move i do not regret. I have however pondered a k1 with the limited trio as an addition to my kit. The one thing i wish they stole at the time was my bronica film gear, that would have funded a nice 645z system at the time unfortunately i interupted them and they left that bag on the floor as they booted out the back
If I lost all i had now I probably would get very targeted items based on what i have been shooting, i would invest more in MF and less in my x system and maybe get that k1 ltd setup
03-29-2022, 12:11 PM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I grew into the current collection of Pentax gear over a 15 year period upgrading then upgrading the upgrades. And I do have a separate insurance rider for my photo gear, guitars and firearms. As much as I enjoy using my Pentax gear, I’d definitely would test drive other systems if I had to,start over from scratch.