Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 41 Likes Search this Thread
03-30-2022, 10:23 PM - 26 Likes   #1
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
PentaxTips: A History of Pentax

At long last, I am incredibly excited to present for your viewing pleasure: A History of Pentax

This PentaxTips video showcases every Pentax interchangeable lens camera with examples from every Pentax lens series ever sold!
A crowdsourced power-montage that incorporates over 40 unique video contributors and displaying over 185 pieces of equipment.

Again, I would like to give a special thank you to Luis Salazar.
This project would not have even started without his collection and support. If you enjoyed this video, head over to his Instagram @spaceman_lou, and send your love his way
And another big thanks to Adam and the entire PentaxForums community, and to my many contributors who have helped make this project possible.

In addition to contributors from other places, I am linking all PentaxForum members that contributed below:
@Adam; @arnold; @Baard-Einar; @bdery; @BigMackCam; @roberrl; @UncleVanya; @ChristianRock; @DonV; @grog85361; @AfterPentax Mark II; @garywakeling; @ismaelg; @Reijnaart; @ggascay; @kypfer; @Laho; @PentaxLou; @microlight; @MightyMike; @mtkeller; @Moe49; @Ole; @pschlute; @MilkaSchokoHase87; @RobA_Oz; @Sandy Hancock; @senicar; @blackcloudbrew; @ramseybuckeye;

Please see the description of the YouTube video and the end credits of the movie for a complete list of all contributors.

Also - please let us know your thoughts on the video!
Did we miss anything? What's your favourite camera?

Thank you - please enjoy!

03-30-2022, 11:24 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well done indeed. There is a lot to see in the video and I look forward to watching.

Thanks for your efforts.
03-31-2022, 12:47 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am half way through, and am impressed with how thorough a coverage you have made. It is very well done from what I have seen in the first half. I have learned a lot as well and didn't expect such wide scope of history. Brilliant!
It has also made me realize the problems that arise trying to cover so much ground. You have covered a huge amount of information that you are tasked with presenting in an interesting way. As I said, well done, so my comments are not to be taken as criticism.
I have some personal observations that may be non-issues for others who have perfect hearing and comprehension faculties, but I had a hard time keeping up.
I see the problem, you have a lot to get through and don't want the piece to go on longer than necessary.
I see what you have done by switching narrators to help break things up into smaller pieces, but I wonder if one can reduce the listener overload in other ways. It takes time for a listener to process what is heard, and if the facts come flying out faster than can be absorbed, mental fatigue sets in. I realize that speaking slower will make the show too long, so maybe editing down may help here.

As a suggestion, I direct you to the "Flight Channel" which deals with aircrash investigations via simulated visuals. The information is in the form of text. The only audio is music. This format is very popular with viewers, and allows them to engage emotionally. Perhaps some of the Pentax information could be presented via text, and one could pause if needed, to take in details.
Thank you for this truly historic endeavor - what an incredible amount of work went into that.
A.
03-31-2022, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
At long last, I am incredibly excited to present for your viewing pleasure: A History of Pentax
Wow, this is a masterpiece of history. You and the contributors put a lot of effort into the production -- thank you all.

I think I'll digest it in bits, by decade.

- Craig

03-31-2022, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Very extensive picture of Pentax. A bit sad of all the things I have missed, like that see-through SFX, wish I had one...
03-31-2022, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice work, Stephen!

This is a real asset to all us Pentax users. Thank you sincerely for your outstanding efforts, and to all who contributed. It was a privilege to be a small part of it

I haven't watched the entire video yet, but very much look forward to doing so in the coming days... perhaps in sections, with my morning coffees
03-31-2022, 05:44 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Awesome. I'll try to find a 90 minute viewing window over the weekend

04-01-2022, 09:14 PM   #8
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you all for your kind comments, constructive feedback, and channel views!
Really appreciate all the support!
Thanks
04-05-2022, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #9

This video is playing at max speed. If I slow it down - it's still too fast.
04-05-2022, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

The spotmatic 500 the notch at the 1000 shutter speed point does it work at 1000 or only at 500 as I have one?

Also pleased theSFXn got the review it deserved I used to use it with a 600mm lens for surfing shots so easy and comfortable a camera.

Last edited by Kombivan; 04-05-2022 at 10:17 PM.
04-05-2022, 11:53 AM - 1 Like   #11

Beautiful movie. To be seen all in one breath. Thank you
04-05-2022, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

I learn't somthing very importantant from this and that is the newest model is not necessarily the best camera. With the dropping of features and weather sealings to save costs or for what ever reason when you buy a camera you need to check the features on other models before accepting the salesmans word and parting with your money for the latest and greatest as it might not be the case. There is also no such thing as a cheaper model just a camera with less features. There is another thing I learn't (personal experience) if you like the way your camera works don't upgrade the firmware if you do it do it for a practical reason you can go up at any time but you cannot go back forever, the person who wrote the new firmware might live in a different enviroment to you so the new firmware may not cater for your enviroment eg you may live in the country and the firmware may have been written by a city dweller therefore no exposure to the scenery to get the firmware correct. Gave me a new perspective of the brand. I also had somthing I recently learnt, confirmed in the spotmatic section. ( does not mean it can't be done well but makes it easier) Now a tip if you want to use a spot meter best its used in manual mode when its needed this way your settings you selected remain when you move the camera about if you want the exposure fixed to somthing to the side of your frame etc.Exposure lock can also work sbut some cameras vary how the exposure lock works so its not guaranteed if your using a different camera.

Last edited by Kombivan; 04-05-2022 at 10:25 PM.
04-05-2022, 10:42 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've watched just a few minutes. Will watch later. Very well presented as far as I can see. Thanks heaps for putting this together.
04-06-2022, 04:07 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Watcha Quote
This video is playing at max speed. If I slow it down - it's still too fast.
VLC is the only video player I have that plays this at the correct speed. Ok it appears the fist moments of the video deliberately run fast. However, as I had the sound muted I was unaware it was playing at correct speed. Someone could have pointed that out.

Last edited by Watcha; 04-06-2022 at 04:13 AM. Reason: Mistaken comment
04-06-2022, 07:47 AM   #15

Pentax video

Thank you so much for posting this. I learnt a lot ! I'd have included an Espio or two (I found the Mini very useful when backpacking) and had less on the endless post DS2 digital cameras, but that's a comment not a criticism.