Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2022, 07:19 AM   #1
Closed Account

What unlimited free photo websites are good?

I've been using Flickr for years, and ended up having to pay now for having more than 1,000 photos.

Do any of you use a site with unlimited free photos? Does such a site even exist anymore?

04-04-2022, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Even google photos dropped the unlimited from their service but you do get 15gb for free. It's not as nice as flickr for posting on forums but is otherwise easy for sharing with people. If you are technically inclined there are lots of ways to do it yourself but you'll run into the fundamental problem that it's still not free. It begs the question, what's the problem with paying for a good service? I know we all like to save our pennies but photography in general is not a cheap hobby and if sharing and displaying photos online is a priority then it's worth paying for, as much as any other camera body, lens, or accessory.
04-04-2022, 07:29 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Imgur and Postimages look to be about it...

https://postimages.org/

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

No frills or the cat GIF site...
04-04-2022, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Amazon has it included with a prime membership (so essentially free if you already subscribe), but I don't recommend it. They locked me out without warning and without reason not long after I started using it. I tried multiple times to find out why, or which specific rule they think I violated, but they would only tell me I violated the TOS and eventually stopped responding to the issue. I think what may have happened was when their app decided to upload every photo on my phone without my permission (I was backing up desktop photos/edits and only wanted the app to download if needed), which included some things that may have gone against the TOS. I had deleted them as soon as I noticed it, so not like I was intentionally trying to do anything wrong. They didn't care, though, even though it would've been their own app that could've caused the problem.

You get what you pay for, I guess.

04-05-2022, 04:31 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I understand that this may not be Michael's question, but I've long stopped looking for a free photo hosting site. Those that I tried or looked at just weren't doing it for me. Also, providing such hosting is a service, one that incurs costs and one that I value highly if done properly, and so I'm perfectly okay with having to pay for it within reasonable limits. So far, SmugMug has done exactly that for me.
04-05-2022, 07:18 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
... I've long stopped looking for a free photo hosting site. Those that I tried or looked at just weren't doing it for me. Also, providing such hosting is a service, one that incurs costs and one that I value highly if done properly, and so I'm perfectly okay with having to pay for it within reasonable limits. So far, SmugMug has done exactly that for me.
Fully agree ...
04-06-2022, 06:51 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have used flickr Pro (paid) over the years and have pleased with it for basic photo sharing with friends/family.
I've also started using SmugMug, as it seems to be more polished and can be more customized.

04-06-2022, 07:51 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Generally, you get what you pay for ... and as a tightwad (eg I use LR6 rather than subscribe to Adobe) paying for hosting didn't come easily. But unlike Adobe, I am getting a public facing hosting service with acceptable TOS and cost.

I also use Smugmug, happy with that experience.

Note, check your TOS for copyright issues, some sites claim copyright over uploaded images - I don't know if that has ever proved to be a problem, but if they make the claim I presume they have something in mind.
04-06-2022, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeeEmm Quote
Note, check your TOS for copyright issues, some sites claim copyright over uploaded images - I don't know if that has ever proved to be a problem, but if they make the claim I presume they have something in mind.
I'm not aware of any site claiming copyright over your photos if you upload them. Most of those claims stem from a misunderstanding of how it works. If you upload to something like Facebook because you want to share, Facebook is required to obtain your permission to repost your photos to be able to show it on other people's feed. They stipulate that you grant them that license for reposting your photos in their TOS as a blanket rule since that's presumably why you upload them in the first place. If they don't have that license granted to them, they could run afoul of copyright law when they show your photos to others. That even includes your friends going to your page to see them.

Other sites may require other licenses, and a common one is to use your photos in their own advertising. It's not a bad idea to check the TOS for possible conflicts of interest, but make sure you fully understand what it is stipulating (and hope the company understands and follows them as well), and not simply jumping to conclusions.
04-07-2022, 05:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Mooncat, that explanation makes some sense, although the ones I have seen have no limitation or explanation (as far as I could see) on how/why they may use your photos, and I simply do not post photos to those. If that is 'jumping to conclusions', so be it.
04-07-2022, 06:15 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeeEmm Quote
Thanks Mooncat, that explanation makes some sense, although the ones I have seen have no limitation or explanation (as far as I could see) on how/why they may use your photos, and I simply do not post photos to those. If that is 'jumping to conclusions', so be it.
That isn't jumping to conclusions, that's being wary of a vague TOS, and rightfully so. Jumping to conclusions would be if they only require limited license to repost your photos to other users and assuming it means they want full copyright control.
04-08-2022, 04:47 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The best way to store photos is on an external drive. The expense is so low that you could have one at home and one off site at a friends or relatives house. No hacking to deal with as a bonus.

People who want free photo storing services should look into starting one themselves then they would appreciate the expenses involved. The free photo storing services remind me of cable TV in the early days. When it first came out, the shows were commercial free. That was the hook.