Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-14-2022, 08:41 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bad Experience KEH

I wanted to sell a bunch of gear.
I signed up for an e-meeting with a KEH buyer.
Their web site gave instructions for the meeting, including how to have the light set up to make it easy for the KEH buyer to see the equipment condition.
I spent the time preparing to make this work. I sent a full description of what I was offering, including web addresses to the KEH web site describing each component. I prepared the lighting and had everything ready to show.
In the call, the KEH buyer barely looked at anything I showed. he was too busy fumbling to find the gear in his database.
It was a colossal waste of my time.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 04-14-2022 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Individual's name removed
04-14-2022, 10:28 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So what was the outcome? Reschedule? Didn't sell them anything? Did you complain?
04-14-2022, 12:05 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
So what was the outcome? Reschedule? Didn't sell them anything? Did you complain?
My intent was to sell it all quickly and conveniently. I wrote off my time with them and sold four items on ebay (two Pentax lenses, an old russian lens and a medium format camera kit with 3 lenses). I still have a bunch of lenses to sell. I will put some on PentaxForum Marketplace.

Lenses I have yet to sell:
SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.4
Takina macro 90mm w/ extender
Takumar 135mm F2.5 Bayonet
SMC Takumar 6x7 200mm F4
SMC Takumar 6x7 400mm F4
SMC Takumar 6x7 600mm F4, 6x7 to K mount adapter
Rear Converter-A 2x-S
Rear Converter-A 2X-L

Large format Camera: Calumet 4x5 rail mount with lens and shutter.
04-14-2022, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by weverka Quote
My intent was to sell it all quickly and conveniently. I wrote off my time with them and sold four items on ebay (two Pentax lenses, an old russian lens and a medium format camera kit with 3 lenses). I still have a bunch of lenses to sell. I will put some on PentaxForum Marketplace.

Lenses I have yet to sell:
SMC Pentax-M 50mm F1.4
Takina macro 90mm w/ extender
Takumar 135mm F2.5 Bayonet
SMC Takumar 6x7 200mm F4
SMC Takumar 6x7 400mm F4
SMC Takumar 6x7 600mm F4, 6x7 to K mount adapter
Rear Converter-A 2x-S
Rear Converter-A 2X-L

Large format Camera: Calumet 4x5 rail mount with lens and shutter.
All good gear. Yes, list them in the Marketplace with good photos and I'm sure you'll find willing buyers...

It might also be worth escalating the matter in a friendly manner with KEH. It's possible that the individual rep you dealt with should have handled things better, and wasn't demonstrative of their usual service. Either way, it's worth taking up any grievance with the company directly and giving them the opportunity to improve. You never know, they might be mortified at the service you received... or they might not. You won't know until you give them the chance...

04-15-2022, 12:31 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I sold a lens to KEH previously (6+ yrs ago) and was very happy with my transaction. I sent them the lens and they actually offered more than the website indicated by a small amount.

Last year I sent a box of lenses, many with original boxes, hoods, and caps. I had bought the DA lenses included new (16-45, 50-200, Tamron 17-50 2.8), and added two older F-era lenses, an A 50/1.7, plus a K200 body (under 15k shutter count, original accessories and box.) The offer was $77 for everything. KEH wouldn't offer any additional when I asked. I understand they can only offer wholesale but this time the amount just didn't seem to be enough.
04-15-2022, 02:13 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Haven't ever sold anything to KEH, but my purchases have all been "better than described" usually by a lot. They do a solid job of packing, unlike many on ebay, too.
04-15-2022, 02:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I sold a lens to KEH ... plus a K200 body (under 15k shutter count...
From a buyer's point of view,
1. KEH has excellent and conservative grading
2. But their big weakness is their inability to show shutter counts on cameras for sale

It's ironic that they insist on an elaborate set up to view the actual items on offer, whereas their own website never shows the actual items you're buying, only generic photos. But I've always found their grading excellent, which greatly execuses the lack of actual photos.

04-15-2022, 08:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
From a buyer's point of view,
1. KEH has excellent and conservative grading
2. But their big weakness is their inability to show shutter counts on cameras for sale

It's ironic that they insist on an elaborate set up to view the actual items on offer, whereas their own website never shows the actual items you're buying, only generic photos. But I've always found their grading excellent, which greatly execuses the lack of actual photos.
I have purchased from KEH as well and was completely satisfied with the grading, just as I was with the first lens I sold to them. But I'm not convinced something hasn't fundamentally changed that has resulted in the disappointing offer for this latest equipment. If I visit the local (not really that local) store sometime I'll ask them for an opinion on a couple of the lenses. They won't be interested in buying anything Pentax-related, but they buy other brands to resell, so they could give an opinion on the condition.