Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-15-2022, 07:05 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SATOBI approximations anyone?

I have been using modified custom image settings lately and enjoying the results and experiments with them. I am currently liking @Christianrock’s unmuted-muted profile as it gives a more subdued older style look. I have been intrigued by the Satobi profile and was wondering if anyone has tweaked an existing profile to mimic the Satobi one.

05-15-2022, 10:23 AM   #2
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by que es tu Quote
I have been using modified custom image settings
In the K-30 I found some similarity to the 'Satobi' with the 'Muted' setting, basically desaturates the colors making them closer to pastel colors.
05-15-2022, 10:30 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

I have been using modified custom image settings lately and enjoying the results and experiments with them. I am currently liking @Christianrock’s unmuted-muted profile as it gives a more subdued older style look. I have been intrigued by the Satobi profile and was wondering if anyone has tweaked an existing profile to mimic the Satobi one.
If you use the Pentax Digital Camera Utility (latest version) SATOBI is now one of the options … you can even apply it to an image taken with a *istD let alone anything newer … click, click, done
05-15-2022, 10:37 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
If you use the Pentax Digital Camera Utility (latest version) SATOBI is now one of the options … you can even apply it to an image taken with a *istD let alone anything newer … click, click, done
I got my KP in 2020, so it probably isn’t the latest version. I will have to look into it. I have been busy lately and haven’t used DCU, just jpeg and then transferring files with any minor tweaks on my computer at work (but don’t tell my boss!!)

05-15-2022, 10:41 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
In the K-30 I found some similarity to the 'Satobi' with the 'Muted' setting, basically desaturates the colors making them closer to pastel colors.
Ok, I have been using a “muted modification” lately and like it. I looked at the Ricoh website with the custom image settings, but it is hard to judge.
05-15-2022, 01:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I got my KP in 2020, so it probably isn’t the latest version. I will have to look into it. I have been busy lately and haven’t used DCU, just jpeg and then transferring files with any minor tweaks on my computer at work (but don’t tell my boss!!)
The latest version (v5.9.4) is available here Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING
The easiest way to install it is as an update to the program from the CD that came with your camera, but there's a relatively simple "workaround" if you haven't installed the program and/or the CD isn't "immediately available".
The latest version is somewhat more "user friendly" as well as having more options.
There are also some "undocumented" features discussed here https://pentaxofficial.com/tsukaitaose/3469/ (in Japanese, you'll probably need a translator) and onwards through the links at the bottom of the page.
They really get quite enthusiastic about the program and apologise for the lack of documentation!
05-15-2022, 01:31 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
The latest version (v5.9.4) is available here Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING
The easiest way to install it is as an update to the program from the CD that came with your camera, but there's a relatively simple "workaround" if you haven't installed the program and/or the CD isn't "immediately available".
The latest version is somewhat more "user friendly" as well as having more options.
There are also some "undocumented" features discussed here https://pentaxofficial.com/tsukaitaose/3469/ (in Japanese, you'll probably need a translator) and onwards through the links at the bottom of the page.
They really get quite enthusiastic about the program and apologise for the lack of documentation!
Ok I checked it out. I have the CD in the camera box. I’ll see what I can do in the near future. Thank you!

05-16-2022, 03:09 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

I have created a User profile (which I have called Satobi!) on my KP and have used it where I have thought it would work. When I get home I can have a look and give you the recipe - it isn't mine as I found it here on the forum.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 05-16-22 at 11:14 AM ----------

Made by fellow forum member Pid...

Muted colour profile, then

saturation:+1
toning: Magenta
Hi-Low-Key: -1
contrast: -2
highlight adjustment: -3
shadow adjustment: -1
sharpness: -2

Last edited by Jeff; 05-16-2022 at 03:15 AM.
06-23-2022, 01:13 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Quote
I have created a User profile (which I have called Satobi!) on my KP and have used it where I have thought it would work. When I get home I can have a look and give you the recipe - it isn't mine as I found it here on the forum.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added 05-16-22 at 11:14 AM ----------

Made by fellow forum member Pid...

Muted colour profile, then

saturation:+1
toning: Magenta
Hi-Low-Key: -1
contrast: -2
highlight adjustment: -3
shadow adjustment: -1
sharpness: -2
I just returned from a 3-week trip through Philadelphia, Boston, Acadia NP, and New York City! I used a similar muted profile for most of the trip and was very pleased with it!
08-15-2022, 08:18 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SATOBI approximation in DxO PhotoLab

For those who use DxO PhotoLab Elite, I have found that the 'Old School' preset in the Atmospheres group gives a treatment that is similar to SATOBI, with slightly higher brightness in some colours.

I don't know whether this preset is available in the basic PhotoLab package, or in the FilmPack add-on (I have FilmPack).

EDIT: After further experimentation, I would say that the Fuji CLASSIC CHROME emulation in DxO Photolab comes close to SATOBI. Select CLASSIC CHROME under Color Rendering, then set global vibrancy to -20, saturation -10, and reduce HSL green to -10.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 07-04-2023 at 12:24 PM.
08-15-2022, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #11
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
For those who use DxO PhotoLab, I have found that the 'Old School' preset in the Atmospheres group gives a treatment that is similar to SATOBI, with slightly higher brightness in some colours.

I don't know whether this preset is available in the basic PhotoLab package, or in the FilmPack add-on (I have FilmPack).

- Craig
It is in the Elite version.