Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2022, 08:47 AM - 3 Likes   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
(Just to be clear: my tongue is very firmly in my cheek here.)
Well there is a vinyl shortage and demand is high, so you could possibly laugh all the way to the bank.

I'd love to cut a 45 that had all my passwords. I could just play it for Siri when needed. Encryption handled by a shot of helium during recording and a voltage and frequency converter at playback.

05-19-2022, 10:43 AM   #47
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Quantum Computing may change the equation rapidly but you correctly are thinking about this in the right way: risk vs function. You are a small fish to the early adopters of quantum tech. You are unlikely to be targeted. Random (non-quantum) targeting of less secure accounts will occur first.
As I understand it (from nothing more than layman-level reading, admittedly; I'm an ex-developer, but no expert on cryptology), AES-256 is considered generally resistant to quantum computing-based biclique cryptanalysis - at least in the medium term, assuming the rate of technological progress in this area remains fairly constant (related key attacks are more likely to succeed, but then it's on the originator of the encrypted file to ensure key generation is appropriately random and complex).

Eventually, when quantum computing power has increased sufficiently to break AES-256 in a realistic time-frame, it's going to be the likes of government agencies who have it initially. I can't imagine why they'd be interested in little old me, but if they were, they're welcome to see what I have in my encrypted drive just by asking By the time this level of computing power becomes available to the common, opportunistic hacker, I doubt my files will be of much use to them (or me, for that matter ). If it should happen in my life time, though, access to all my financial accounts, credit cards, policies and other critical online services is protected by two-factor authentication - so even if hackers crack my encrypted drive and obtain my personal documents, they'll need my phone (or a clone of it) to access my accounts and perform any transactions or changes.

In summary, a hacker needs to gain access to my online storage which is protected by a complex, randomly-generated password; they then need to unlock my AES-256 encrypted drive with their quantum computing network; and lastly, they need my phone or a clone to answer two-factor authentication and gain access to my accounts...

It's not a 100% secure solution (what is?), but in terms of balancing risk vs function, I think it's a reasonable one...

EDIT: Apologies to the OP... I've drifted way off-topic here - though perhaps the discussion around local vs online backups might be of some minor benefit...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-19-2022 at 11:21 AM.
05-19-2022, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
This is why I fully intend to setup a NAS with full redundancy at some point. It doesn't need to be huge for a photography collection (compared to my video editing *shudders*) but I put my artwork above pretty much all other stuff on my computer

---------- Post added 05-18-22 at 06:59 PM ----------

Online storage while a bit controversial I guess is a great way to have an offsite backup of images you consider mission critical. Having everything on you in your house is a good way to lose it in case of disaster.
Point taken, and thanks for the comments - but all of my stuff will go when I emulate the Monty Python Parrot, and I am assured by medical professionals that this will certainly occur sometime this century. Nothing worth keeping or getting excited about - in fact if all my images disappeared overnight, the artistic quotient of the planet would probably increase.
05-19-2022, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #49
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Point taken, and thanks for the comments - but all of my stuff will go when I emulate the Monty Python Parrot, and I am assured by medical professionals that this will certainly occur sometime this century. Nothing worth keeping or getting excited about - in fact if all my images disappeared overnight, the artistic quotient of the planet would probably increase.
LOL Gone to meet your maker and join the photography-club invisible, eh? An ex-photographer....

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-19-2022 at 02:39 PM.
05-19-2022, 02:17 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Quantum Computing may change the equation rapidly but you correctly are thinking about this in the right way: risk vs function. You are a small fish to the early adopters of quantum tech. You are unlikely to be targeted. Random (non-quantum) targeting of less secure accounts will occur first.
Wake me up when there's a quantum computer capable of cracking anything let alone one available to 2 bit thieves.