Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
05-17-2022, 02:16 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am an idiot whine

I need to whine somewhere and a corner to cry so I came here

What happened? I just deleted my whole photo collection. All of it gone away. ALL. And I was stupid enough to clear copies too. I do not know what I had in mind. I suppose too much experience in IT has made me too confident in my own genius. I was running out of space so I got new drives, set up everything, started to move thingx, then switched systems etc. And as I am moving away from cloud I copied, archived (and deleted ) my OneDrive archive too.

Backup drives were also changed and previous ones reused for other purposes.

And I realised what I have done month later, as I was so sure that everything was done right that I have not checked backup drives. I just wanted to upload recent photos to catalogued backup and... nothing. Drive is empty. Not a single file.

I think I know what happened, I messed up open SUSE setup fragmentation as I was doing all at once and most likely checked also disc with backup and, well, rest is history. And as I format everything securely (overwriting with random data and formatting again) recovering it is not possible.

Only thing left is my flickr account with JPGs. Luckily I upload most photos there.

I am an idiot, admin can change my user name to idiotJersey.

05-17-2022, 02:23 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Commiserations!
05-17-2022, 02:40 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Oh, that's a nightmare scenario. You're darn well entitled to give a howl of anguish after something like that.

It's a lesson to us all that even the best backup strategies organised by someone who really knows what he's doing can sometimes come unstuck.

My sympathies.
05-17-2022, 02:42 AM - 6 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Life's too short to mourn about photo losses... An irreversible thing happened. OK. Let's see the bright side, you're off to a fresh start. Files are deleted. Memories aren't. Refilling that drive will be wonderful. Maybe a chance to refresh your photographic style, clean from previous shots. Grab a camera and get out....

05-17-2022, 02:52 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had an external hard drive fail on me once taking thousands of images with it - I'd bought it to back up my desktop files but as the desktop dot older and fuller and slower I stopped saving them there and deleted what I had. You don't need to be an IT genius to be an idiot!

It's the family pics that hurt more than the 'great shots'
05-17-2022, 03:04 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is a terrible event.

The only photos I back up with any regularity or plan are the photos of friends and family.
05-17-2022, 04:11 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

At least the jpg files on Flickr remain. Breathe deeply and carry on. Things happen and you can’t fix it. There are tools that attempt to create raw from jpg. You could take some of the best images and try to do that.

05-17-2022, 04:23 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
From one former IT guy to another, I feel you pain.
05-17-2022, 04:43 AM   #9
Closed Account

Reading that has sent a chill down my spine.
05-17-2022, 04:46 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote

What happened? I just deleted my whole photo collection. All of it gone away. ALL. And I was stupid enough to clear copies too. I do not know what I had in mind. I suppose too much experience in IT has made me too confident in my own genius. I was running out of space so I got new drives, set up everything, started to move thingx, then switched systems etc. And as I am moving away from cloud I copied, archived (and deleted ) my OneDrive archive too.

Backup drives were also changed and previous ones reused for other purposes.

And I realised what I have done month later, as I was so sure that everything was done right that I have not checked backup drives. I just wanted to upload recent photos to catalogued backup and... nothing. Drive is empty. Not a single file.

I think I know what happened, I messed up open SUSE setup fragmentation as I was doing all at once and most likely checked also disc with backup and, well, rest is history. And as I format everything securely (overwriting with random data and formatting again) recovering it is not possible.

Only thing left is my flickr account with JPGs. Luckily I upload most photos there.

QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
Life's too short to mourn about photo losses... An irreversible thing happened. OK. Let's see the bright side, you're off to a fresh start. Files are deleted. Memories aren't. Refilling that drive will be wonderful. Maybe a chance to refresh your photographic style, clean from previous shots. Grab a camera and get out....
^^^ This.

They're just photos... in a way, they're similar to material possessions; consider them a form of clutter... they're just "stuff". As Michail says, like it or not you've a fresh start ahead of you. All your photos from this point on will be a product of everything you've learned thus far. I think that's exciting! It's also an opportunity to optimise your folder structure, perhaps, and re-think your storage and backup strategies. You're unencumbered by all those old files, so you can start from scratch. In a way, it's quite liberating. No regrets, eh? Enjoy your photography...
05-17-2022, 04:57 AM - 3 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Every time I hear something like this I go home and make sure everything is triple backed up. Both to my Google Drive and to external hard drives.

I don't have a massive accumulation of stuff like my Dad and his bursting-at-the-seams garage. But I want to make sure my kids and eventual grandkids will eventually have to go through six million photographs and decide on the 100 they want to keep.
05-17-2022, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

That sucks. I understand your pain.

You still have most JPEGs, that's a glass-half-full situation, or it will be in a few weeks-months.

Cheers... I guess...
05-17-2022, 07:02 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, that really is one's worst nightmare (digitally spoken). I really really feel you're pain.
I backup my pictures to a local second hard drive and a 2 generation external USB disk. And the most precious pictures to a server on my work.
I really hope i never will have you're pain, and 'only' just feel you're pain.
05-17-2022, 07:30 AM   #14
Pentaxian

The bright side is all the re-enactment possibilities that you can apply hindsight to.

Last edited by JohnMc; 05-17-2022 at 09:26 AM.
05-17-2022, 08:05 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote

What happened? I just deleted my whole photo collection. All of it gone away. ALL. And I was stupid enough to clear copies too...

That's one reason I retire my camera SD chips to a safe, dry place even after copying to a hard drive.