Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 240 Likes Search this Thread
06-09-2022, 06:07 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
People who switch completely away from Pentax do tend to leave. The Forum has areas for non-Pentax cameras, but I don't think they are as busy as the areas for Pentax gears and posting.

Some folks add a brand, so they continue to shoot with Pentax gear, but they add a mirrorless too. I know BigMackCam fits this bill and there are others as well.

I am afraid that as "nice" as we all are, there are still personalities that irritate and probably there are times that people have left simply because they are irritated at how people perceived a post or something like that. That is the thing that makes me saddest. Surely we can all get along and disagree with things without being disagreeable. I know that personally I have given up taking test shots with new gear because there are always folks who show up and tell you how you screwed things up -- even if you are careful to state that it isn't a scientific setup and you are doing the best you can.

In a way, the Forum is like a sports team where we have all different levels of experience and ability. So, we have some folks here who are like Michael Jordan or Larry Bird -- who've forgotten more about photography than I've ever learned -- and others who are high school Freshmen just figuring things out. I think there is generally a spirit of encouragement and helpfulness among those who have more experience, but it definitely can swing the other direction sometimes.
Well said!

06-09-2022, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #47
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
When I joined in early 2014, one of the most regular posters was @Na Horuk; from Slovenia. The first to answer most newby questions, helpful, intelligent and factual responses. Over 11,000 posts. Then, since March 2018, nothing. I wonder what happened.
His 500px account does not appear to have any content from after early 2018 either.
06-09-2022, 04:30 PM - 5 Likes   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Some regular posters are missed in their sudden absence, and we might wonder where they've gone. A few members seem to get disgruntled, and leave with a few parting words. Others just leave quietly.

That reminds me, we haven't heard from @normhead for a while.

- Craig
Norm’s still posting on Flickr. He was kind enough to fave one of my recent Flickr posts, too. Maybe he prefers posting there, because the web browser site doesn’t compress the files (even though the mobile app does).

On another matter, I do miss Monochrome’s once-regular input, here.
06-09-2022, 06:49 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

He seems to regularly view but seldom posts these days.

06-10-2022, 12:35 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Some people are much more knowledgeable than I am in medical topics, could comment further. But from what I've read online, once one doesn't get excited anymore by new gear and controversial topics, dopamine doesn't kick-in. Long absence in forum can be fatal as the dopamine cycle is broken. After few weeks of not being emotionally engaged in forum topics, participants may never come back. That's why it's important to have some news and also some controversial topics with moderators working to avoid controversies turn into battlefields.
06-10-2022, 01:10 AM - 5 Likes   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
On another matter, I do miss Monochrome’s once-regular input, here.
Paul was one of the most courteous, knowledgeable and level-headed contributors here. I miss his contributions.
06-10-2022, 01:10 AM - 3 Likes   #52
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Some people are much more knowledgeable than I am in medical topics, could comment further. But from what I've read online, once one doesn't get excited anymore by new gear and controversial topics, dopamine doesn't kick-in. Long absence in forum can be fatal as the dopamine cycle is broken. After few weeks of not being emotionally engaged in forum topics, participants may never come back. That's why it's important to have some news and also some controversial topics with moderators working to avoid controversies turn into battlefields.
I don't get too excited about new gear... I get a kick out of gear in general, mainly with respect to what I'll be able to do with it, but it doesn't matter whether it's new or old. In fact, I'm more likely to get excited about older gear and the results I can squeeze from it.

As for controversial topics - especially those that crop up repeatedly (often in "News & Rumours"), such as the future of Pentax, the perceived failings of its gear, what's lacking in its range of offerings, "what Pentax should do", DSLR vs mirrorless, why smartphones make ILCs redundant because they're just so good now (apparently), which camera or brand is currently best or better than another, spec sheet battles, sharpest / most perfect lens, why someone is leaving the brand, Pentaxians being defensive or mean, yada yada yada - I usually find them frustrating, exasperating and/or tedious rather than exciting. I don't know if those feelings also trigger dopamine, but I suspect not, as I don't find them particularly enjoyable and I don't crave more of them. I can imagine adrenaline is involved, perhaps, but dopamine I somehow doubt. I do enjoy learning, receiving the wisdom of other members' experience, and being able to share what I've learned to help others - so I tend to prefer those discussions here beyond all else. PentaxForums is great for that, and I never tire of learning from our members who are so generous in sharing their knowledge and unfailingly willing to help. If I can learn something from them that makes a real difference to some aspect of my photography, however small, I find that exciting. Controversy, aggravation and gear wars, I can live without...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-10-2022 at 04:56 AM.
06-10-2022, 05:24 AM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
PentaxForums is great for that, and I never tire of learning from our members who are so generous in sharing their knowledge and unfailingly willing to help. If I can learn something from them that makes a real difference to some aspect of my photography, however small, I find that exciting.
Sure it's possible to learn something in camera forums, although the speed of learning is like building a castle one grain of sand at a time without an architectural plan to begin with, so maybe you'll get a castle, maybe you get a smooth beach, or a pyramid, who knows. Ten years of forum is about equivalent to taking 10 hours to read a couple of the expert photography books out there. Lately I was astonished that one guy in Fuji forum is downgrading from the GFX100, it looks like he doesn't know why he bought such camera in the first place, maybe his learning was from Fuji sales reps, he could have read "the camera" from Ansel Adams free of charge at the openlibrary.org, and saved himself $10 000. I found Karl Taylor is pretty good, anyone should buy himself/herself a couple workshops before buying a camera system based on marketing ads. Anyway, if that matters, I like when we get some insights about Pentax activities from Japan (from JPT) and also Pentax product reviews which give me an idea of what to expect in case I decide to buy.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 06-10-2022 at 05:50 AM.
06-10-2022, 06:19 AM - 2 Likes   #54
Unregistered User

I was a member (under a different name) for a while but left when the comments got dismissive and negative.

Those commenters seem to be gone, I've been happy with the forum since then—where else am I going to get Pentax Q coverage?

I've had various Pentax cameras and lenses for over 50 years and, with a couple of exceptions, have always found their cameras and lenses to be "photographer friendly", more so than any other brand.
06-10-2022, 08:53 AM - 2 Likes   #55
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Sure it's possible to learn something in camera forums, although the speed of learning is like building a castle one grain of sand at a time without an architectural plan to begin with, so maybe you'll get a castle, maybe you get a smooth beach, or a pyramid, who knows. Ten years of forum is about equivalent to taking 10 hours to read a couple of the expert photography books out there. Lately I was astonished that one guy in Fuji forum is downgrading from the GFX100, it looks like he doesn't know why he bought such camera in the first place, maybe his learning was from Fuji sales reps, he could have read "the camera" from Ansel Adams free of charge at the openlibrary.org, and saved himself $10 000. I found Karl Taylor is pretty good, anyone should buy himself/herself a couple workshops before buying a camera system based on marketing ads.
PentaxForums hasn't been my only source of learning... I've read a number of books over the years, and - coincidentally - bought a fairly comprehensive multi-pack of Karl Taylor video courses back in 2015 (they were pretty decent - I learned a fair amount). Most of my learning here has been in response to specific questions I've asked, or discussions I've engaged in. I've also learned about some good books and authors to read - for example, Bryan Peterson, whose Understanding Exposure, Understanding Flash Photography and Understanding Composition titles have become favourites of mine... books I've since recommended to several other members. The thing with books is, you're still getting (usually) one individual's personal take on a technical or artistic matter, and a whole lot of information you might already know, whereas here you'll get many responses to a well-placed question on a very specific subject, and if you've spent enough time in these forums (as you and I have), you'll generally have a pretty good idea as to which members' responses are worth prioritising. Another nice thing about learning here is the interaction with other members... I consider a number of folks here to be friends, even though I've never met them in person, and I enjoy chatting with them. I've no desire to join and frequent a local camera club, but being a member of one can undoubtedly be useful... and PentaxForums provides me with elements of that - day or night, 365 days a year - without having to leave my home.

I like when we get some insights about Pentax activities from Japan (from JPT) and also Pentax product reviews which give me an idea of what to expect in case I decide to buy.
Yes, I enjoy reading about what's going on at Ricoh and with the Pentax brand too, and I read the product reviews with some interest. I don't wait for or depend on these things, though, and I'm not always keen on the resulting discussions which often fall into the categories I previously mentioned ("What Pentax should do", future of Pentax, why some other brand is doing it better etc.) - but it's interesting to know where the brand is headed; though it doesn't affect my day-to-day photography or teach me anything practical. As such, I try to spend as little time as possible reading "News & Rumour" threads...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-10-2022 at 12:23 PM.
06-10-2022, 02:48 PM - 5 Likes   #56
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
As for controversial topics - especially those that crop up repeatedly (often in "News & Rumours"), such as the future of Pentax, the perceived failings of its gear, what's lacking in its range of offerings, "what Pentax should do", DSLR vs mirrorless, why smartphones make ILCs redundant because they're just so good now (apparently), which camera or brand is currently best or better than another, spec sheet battles, sharpest / most perfect lens, why someone is leaving the brand, Pentaxians being defensive or mean, yada yada yada - I usually find them frustrating, exasperating and/or tedious rather than exciting.
QuoteOriginally posted by Cipher Quote
I was a member (under a different name) for a while but left when the comments got dismissive and negative.Those commenters seem to be gone, I've been happy with the forum since then—where else am I going to get Pentax Q coverage?
I'm with you guys. I can get dopamine and testosterone driven flame wars anywhere. I enjoy the intelligent, helpful, informed and witty discussions here. And the inspiring images. If some people find that too dull, too bad. I would like to think that there are more in our camp and that the culture (maintained by many sage contributors and great work from the mods) attracts more people than are lost.
06-10-2022, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can get dopamine and testosterone driven flame wars anywhere.
Yup, nothing I enjoy more than chugging back half a dozen Foster's, rolling up to the ol' keyboard, and letting loose at some forum idiots.

Oh, sorry, that's my other forum.

I enjoy the intelligent, helpful, informed and witty discussions here.
Indeed. There's certainly a lot of breadth and depth here, and thoughtful discussion.

- Craig
06-10-2022, 03:59 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
Paul was one of the most courteous, knowledgeable and level-headed contributors here. I miss his contributions.
I believe that Paul's wife had/has cancer and that probably changed his focus a bit. But I would echo that I miss his levelheaded input -- and he had a background in finance that shed some light on Ricoh that I don't have.
06-10-2022, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I believe that Paul's wife had/has cancer and that probably changed his focus a bit. But I would echo that I miss his levelheaded input -- and he had a background in finance that shed some light on Ricoh that I don't have.
That's sad to hear. I hope both of them are OK. He did once make a comment about the pandemic changing him and his priorities - the above is probably what he was referring to.

As I said, I hope they are both as well as can be hoped for.
06-10-2022, 07:36 PM - 8 Likes   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I first got here, there were a number of photographers that I really appreciated.

JSherman I think has moved on to Nikon, but he started a number of threads -- DA 35 and DA 15 controls my mind are two that come to mind.

Falconeye has moved on to some other brand. I think he was in academics in Germany and understood the "why" of photography better than most.

Sodium Chloride used to post quite a bit, but not as much in recent years.

Marc Sabatella used to post quite a bit but it has been a long time.

Of course there were others who seemed to stir the pot a lot. Rice High used to show up here periodically and there were a few others who seemed interested in preaching the value of non-Pentax gear. Still, I appreciate those who post regularly and miss those who aren't here any more.

I sit beside the fire and think
of all that I have seen
of meadow-flowers and butterflies
in summers that have been;

Of yellow leaves and gossamer
in autumns that there were,
with morning mist and silver sun
and wind upon my hair.

I sit beside the fire and think
of how the world will be
when winter comes without a spring
that I shall ever see.