Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 240 Likes Search this Thread
06-10-2022, 09:29 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
PentaxForums hasn't been my only source of learning... I've read a number of books over the years. I've no desire to join and frequent a local camera club, but being a member of one can undoubtedly be useful... and PentaxForums provides me with elements of that - day or night, 365 days a year - without having to leave my home.
I can see you've studied , learned a lot about photography, via various means. Staying at home is quite limiting, unless you're doing some still life photography, macro or have a photography studio clients coming at you. For landscape photography, there is no other way that going out, and I've found that going offline, hiking and taking pictures is healthy form of physical activity allow to see things that I wouldn't see without camera. Would you be able to stay offline for a week, just to check if you still have mind control over the internet or if the internet controls your mind?

06-10-2022, 09:55 PM - 1 Like   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Still, I appreciate those who post regularly and miss those who aren't here any more.

I sit beside the fire and think
of all that I have seen
of meadow-flowers and butterflies
in summers that have been;

Of yellow leaves and gossamer
in autumns that there were,
with morning mist and silver sun
and wind upon my hair.

of how the world will be
when winter comes without a spring
that I shall ever see.

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood in every spring
there is a different green.

of people long ago
and people who will see a world
that I shall never know.

But all the while I sit and think
of times there were before,
I listen for returning feet
and voices at the door.

--J R R Tolkien
In that vein, a (slightly) more contemporary contribution:
06-10-2022, 10:42 PM - 3 Likes   #63
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I can see you've studied , learned a lot about photography, via various means. Staying at home is quite limiting, unless you're doing some still life photography, macro or have a photography studio clients coming at you. For landscape photography, there is no other way that going out, and I've found that going offline, hiking and taking pictures is healthy form of physical activity allow to see things that I wouldn't see without camera. Would you be able to stay offline for a week, just to check if you still have mind control over the internet or if the internet controls your mind?
I didn't say I stay home all the time, biz - I said that while I've no interest in visiting a physical camera club, PentaxForums gives me some elements of that from the comfort of my home, on my terms and to my schedule.

The majority of my photography - the image-capturing part, at least - takes place outdoors, away from home, and I'm fortunate to live in an area that provides many, many photographic opportunities within just a short walk or drive. Countryside, forest, reservoirs, rivers, coast, wildfowl and wildlife reserves, attractive cities / towns / villages, historical and modern architecture, industrial heritage and more are all within easy reach. I'm very lucky in that respect. I don't walk as much as I'd like due to rheumatoid arthritis, but I take regular daily exercise through fields and moorland - sometimes with a camera, usually without. I'll be meeting up with an old friend of mine for a long country walk in a couple of weeks, but won't be taking my camera. That's more about enjoying time with my buddy who I don't get to see very often (especially in the last couple of years), and I want to give him my undivided attention. Photography is important to me, but it's just a hobby, not my only interest and pastime, and I don't let it encroach upon other things that I prefer to enjoy individually.

I spend plenty of time offline, and before the pandemic my last three or four vacations were to places where I had no internet access - not least because I don't subscribe to data access for my mobile phone, as I've no need or desire for the internet when I'm out and about (indeed, the only reason I have my phone switched on when I'm out is in case my Mum or Dad need to contact me in an emergency). I'm semi-retired, so I'm probably at home for a greater portion of my week than you, with more free time - so that's why you'll see me online more often... not because I have to be, but because I find it useful and enjoy it. My computer is online most of the time, and when I'm at home I'll use it sporadically throughout the day... but I don't use social media, and I don't sit here for hours on end surfing the web and posting in the forums (well, occasionally I might - but not usually ).

It's easy to make assumptions about someone's life and activities, but you know what they say about "assume", biz... it makes an ass out of u and me . I try not to make too many assumptions of others...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-11-2022 at 12:23 AM.
06-11-2022, 12:36 AM   #64
Pentaxian

My computer is online most of the time, and when I'm at home I'll use it sporadically throughout the day... but I don't use social media, and I don't sit here for hours on end surfing the web and posting in the forums (well, occasionally I might - but not usually ).
I get what you're saying. Would you be able to not login to Pentaxforums for a week or two or three, not visit the site for a week or two?

06-11-2022, 12:50 AM - 2 Likes   #65
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I get what you're saying. Would you be able to not login to Pentaxforums for a week or two or three, not visit the site for a week or two?
Of course... I've done it numerous times and I'll almost certainly do so again - whenever I feel I want or need a break (coincidentally, I sense that time may be drawing near)...

As you know, I was a moderator for four years, so not logging in for an extended period wasn't really an option during that time (though I took vacations and didn't log in during those). Since I left the team, I've taken breaks from specific threads, forums, posting, logging in, and even just viewing the forums whilst not logged in, depending on the reason - sometimes for a few days, sometimes a few weeks, once for around three months (or it may have been longer - I can't recall, it was quite some time ago). It's cathartic, and I'd recommend it to anyone from time-to-time. I take breaks from my photography too, for weeks - sometimes months - at a time, and I find that equally refreshing.

I'm flattered by your interest in my online habits and well-being, biz, but wonder if you're actually reaching out for comparison or advice, perhaps? It's certainly not healthy to become fixated on, consumed by, or obsessed with any single topic or activity, IMHO - and I know some folks can be susceptible to that. All things in moderation, as they say. It's a problem when it starts to get in the way of other things, or has a lasting effect on your emotions and mental health... So long as that's not the case, it doesn't matter whether someone logs in and/or posts once a month, or several times a day...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-11-2022 at 05:19 AM.
06-11-2022, 12:57 AM - 2 Likes   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

... We're just customers of Ricoh - we're not married to them; neither party took any vows...
The scales have fallen from my eyes!!
06-11-2022, 05:18 AM - 6 Likes   #67
Loyal Site Supporter

Of course... I've done it numerous times and I'll almost certainly do so again - whenever I feel I want or need a break...

It's certainly not healthy to become fixated on, consumed by, or obsessed with any single topic or activity, IMHO - and I know some folks can be susceptible to that. All things in moderation, as they say. It's a problem when it starts to get in the way of other things, or has a lasting effect on your emotions and mental health... So long as that's not the case, it doesn't matter whether someone logs in and/or posts once a month, or several times a day...
Before joining the moderation team I know of at least two instances where I've taken a break from our forums. Yet I came back for the feeling of community, and a shared interest in learning to be better photographers. Staying around for an emotional kick of dopamine isn't why the overwhelming majority of us are here, and we don't stop in for a daily dose of negative discourse, noting there may be a very VERY few who are exceptions to that and here for "other reason". It's the internet, not everyone in our community means well and that's unfortunately unavoidable. Don't let a negative member be a reason not to enjoy what we have.

So I suspect many of the original cast have moved on from standalone cameras altogether. Some because of age or health, those in their 50's when joining are now in their 60's or early 70's, and some because it's too expensive a hobby. Some still visit and read but don't post. Some lost interest in the hobby (I did for several years). Some number move around from one major interest to another, perhaps from general photography to drones or boating or trucks or home improvement or retirement or....
And the larger number is made up of members who were never regulars to begin with. That applies to most who come here.

We get new members joining every day, and big numbers of visitors who are simply looking for answers to a specific photo issue or interest. PentaxForums has been a friend to all photographers from the beginning, and we intend to stay that way. We're good.

By the way, a post lacking value was deleted from the discussion.

Last edited by gatorguy; 08-04-2022 at 05:56 PM.
06-11-2022, 06:15 AM - 2 Likes   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Before joining the moderation team I know of at least two instances where I've taken a break from our forums. Yet I came back for the feeling of community, and a shared interest in learning to be better photographers. Staying around for an emotional kick of dopamine isn't why the overwhelming majority of us are here, and we don't stop in for a daily dose of negative discourse, noting there may be a very VERY few who are exceptions to that and here for "other reason". It's the internet, not everyone in our community means well and that's unfortunately unavoidable. Don't let a negative member be a reason not to enjoy what we have.

So I suspect many of the original cast have moved on from standalone cameras altogether. Some because of age or health, those in their 50's when joining are now in their 60's or early 70's, and some because it's too expensive a hobby. Some still visit and read but don't post. Some lost interest in the hobby (I did for several years). Some number move around from one major interest to another, perhaps from general photography to drones or boating or trucks or home improvement or retirement or....
And the larger number is made up of members who were never regulars to begin with. That applies to most who come here.

We get new members joining every day, and big numbers of visitors who are simply looking for answers to a specific photo issue or interest. PentaxForums has been a friend to all photographers from the beginning, and we intend to stay that way. We're good.
When you first start here, it is a club and if someone upsets you enough or you lose focus on the thing the club is about, you have a tendency to step away from that club for a time, or maybe even just leave it completely.

When you stay long enough, it feels a bit more like a family. You may squabble with a sibling for a time, but they are always your brother or sister and eventually you are going to try heal the rift and come back.
06-11-2022, 09:47 AM - 7 Likes   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
On another matter, I do miss Monochrome’s once-regular input, here.
QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
Paul was one of the most courteous, knowledgeable and level-headed contributors here. I miss his contributions.
Ditto, I miss Paul as well.

Phil.
06-11-2022, 03:05 PM - 4 Likes   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Ditto, I miss Paul as well.

Phil.
I agree. I enjoyed Paul's (Monochrome) posts. I learned a lot from him via the Pentax Forum. He is a very generous individual, a good man.

Les (Bob)
06-15-2022, 06:13 AM - 4 Likes   #71
Veteran Member

Looks like I've been a member since 2006, which I can hardly believe. I used to be active and had a bunch of buddies, had a ton of fun, learned a lot and I hope educated some.

There really isn't anything bad that happened; I just drifted off... other things in life, plus stuff like facebook, and in general I've done less photography and gear acquisition in the last few years. I even stopped posting daily to Flickr!

Part of it is also that I'm stuck at my daughter's old K-x from a digital POV. I've bought Sony mirrorrless so I could adapt all sorts of vintage lenses, and a Nikon full frame. I dream of a Pentax FF but can't justify the cost.

I'm also behind on my dues
06-15-2022, 08:46 AM - 3 Likes   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like PF because people are mostly civil and it's very active compared to other photography forums. The Pentax Facebook groups are pretty good as well. Many of the brand specific FB groups are either full of elitists that look down on anyone who hasn't been published on a magazine cover or just like to insult each other.
06-15-2022, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Looks like I've been a member since 2006, which I can hardly believe. I used to be active and had a bunch of buddies, had a ton of fun, learned a lot and I hope educated some.

There really isn't anything bad that happened; I just drifted off... other things in life, plus stuff like facebook, and in general I've done less photography and gear acquisition in the last few years. I even stopped posting daily to Flickr!

Part of it is also that I'm stuck at my daughter's old K-x from a digital POV. I've bought Sony mirrorrless so I could adapt all sorts of vintage lenses, and a Nikon full frame. I dream of a Pentax FF but can't justify the cost.

I'm also behind on my dues
Look to this thread:
The Sony A7 series picture thread -- bring your base, S, and R pics here! - PentaxForums.com

There's a whole section of the forum dedicated to non-Pentax.

Also the Daily In social group and even the Single In group are active with non-Pentax cameras. The Single In limits use to a single lens and the lens or the camera needs to be Pentax/Ricoh. So your vintage Pentax lenses on a Sony body are welcome there. The Daily group is even looser - essentially any gear is fine. My shot yesterday was a cellphone image I think (or maybe the day before).

Single In: Single in June 2022 - PentaxForums.com

Daily In: Daily in June 2022 - PentaxForums.com
06-15-2022, 03:30 PM - 1 Like   #74
Veteran Member

thank you, will check out what's going on -- I was there starting a bunch of those threads Back In The Day.
06-15-2022, 07:24 PM - 4 Likes   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
thank you, will check out what's going on -- I was there starting a bunch of those threads Back In The Day.
I'm still actively shooting my KP and K-3 but I shoot my Sony a lot due to my Dad's interest in that platform. I find Pentax Forums a much nicer place to participate than any of the Sony forums I have used. DPReview is so limited in moderation and their etiquette is often deplorable. SonyAlphaForums is ok but not much activity there. So I find out what I need where I can and I enjoy the social aspect of photography here.