Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 38 Likes Search this Thread
06-13-2022, 10:59 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
Great rundown of this camera's importance. Anyone who might be motivated a little bit by snark regarding Leica's air of superiority and "status" ought to stop and think about that fact that this camera is probably the most meaningful first step in 35mm photography,
Thanks.

Some of us may have noted the recent announcements of the Leica limited-edition cameras -- a $20,000 'Titan' titanium film model and the gold-plated edition, which celebrates the coronation of the Thai monarch at $30-50,000 per kit. They're certainly far removed from Barnack's original camera and the model that was auctioned.

- Craig

06-13-2022, 05:25 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Well minus the percentage the auction house gets of course, which can be upwards of 20%....people often forget that.
Ah yes.

I see the auction house has a lovely selection of images of the camera: https://www.leitz-auction.com/auction/de/kamera/auktion40/article/320.html
06-13-2022, 05:52 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This auction and the reaction to the record hammer price -- either positive or critical -- reminds me of a piece of art that stirred controversy in Canada: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_of_Fire.

Crazy, perhaps -- gimme a sheet of plywood, a couple of paint rollers, and two cans of paint. There ya go. But I didn't paint the Voice of Fire, I'm not an artist, and I didn't have the inspiration.

I think it can be hard to estimate the 'value' of something, especially a piece of art, a rare artifact, or something for which demand exceeds the market's current supply. For example, what's the value of a small, ramshackle house? I'd say pretty low, but recent sales in some Canadian cities would suggest otherwise.

Leitz -- and Barnack -- certainly influenced photography. I wonder if the original Kodak camera -- ca. 1888 -- would be considered a more significant achievement? I don't know how many Kodak No. 1 cameras still exist, but I would think they would be valuable today.

Original Kodak Camera, Serial No. 540 | National Museum of American History
https://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/kodk/hd_kodk.htm

Regardless, it's fascinating history.

- Craig
06-13-2022, 06:11 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I see the auction house has a lovely selection of images of the camera
But none of those images are FROM the camera, so it is safe to assume it's inoperable. I've seen cameras in a similar condition and age sell for $50.

Perhaps I should sell my grandfathers low serial number Leica M3 when it claps out*, perhaps I can snag a good $2M for it.

* which is unlikely as it was serviced by Leica technicians in 2006, what is interesting is they looked up the serial number and weighed some of the internal parts to certify that it was an authentic Leica.

06-13-2022, 09:14 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
...Perhaps I should sell my grandfathers low serial number Leica M3 when it claps out*, perhaps I can snag a good $2M for it....
Unfortunately, it will likely be a number with a few less zeros.

Still, an M3 is a remarkable bit of engineering.
06-14-2022, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by CraigR Quote
It's usually nearer 25 -30% these days but with something like this they would make a deal with the vendor.
25-30% of hammer price is what the BUYER pays - the seller typically gets charged 15-20% as well. So the poor auction house is typically getting around 50% markup on the total sale fees for an auction.
06-14-2022, 07:56 AM   #22
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Thwyllo Quote
25-30% of hammer price is what the BUYER pays - the seller typically gets charged 15-20% as well. So the poor auction house is typically getting around 50% markup on the total sale fees for an auction.
Of course, my mistake - I am so used to buying not selling!

06-18-2022, 03:41 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DPReview TV has produced an interesting and enjoyable piece on the famous Leica camera. Join Chris and Jordan in Germany as they get close to the auction item.

- Craig

07-27-2022, 02:51 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Inflation is great... there will always be record prices, Everyone can cover records again and again.