Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2022, 09:06 PM   #1
Pentaxian

The reason you want a m43 camera

Hi there,

I am a diehard Pentaxian, I always look for Pentax's offering first whenever I want to buy a camera or lens, but unfortunately Pentax does not offer everything that I want, like a thin body lens changeable camera, that I can adapt almost any lenses to it. I did use Fujifilm before namely the XE-2, it's also APSC so my K lenses can be used via adapter to give the same view, but I don't like the controls and handling of Fujifilm, I am more inclined to the OM like the Pen F, I like the retro styling and controls. My only complaint in m43 is the boken control due to smaller sensor, but I still want one to adapt my m42 and Leica copies screw mount lenses, that's the main reason I want one, the 2nd and less important to me is able to use smaller telephone lenses for wildlife.

06-21-2022, 09:34 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think the small telephoto lenses (and relatively reasonable prices for top-of-the-line teles) would be the biggest draw for me, although I don't see myself actually ever going the m43 route. Add in the in-lens+in-body stabilization combinations on some of the super long lenses.

Note that the other side of the coin with the bokeh issue is that they have depth of field advantages when you want a lot of depth, especially helpful for macro work.
06-21-2022, 09:39 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
I always look for Pentax's offering first whenever I want to buy a camera or lens, but unfortunately Pentax does not offer everything that I want
Those trees that hide the forest. When I looked into medium format and large format camera systems, I realized that the world of camera split in two halves: the world of hand-held photography (small formats, no tripod required , most of the time) and the world of tripod photography (medium/large format, a tripod is a must have most of the time). So for me, the difference between micro43, apsc and full frame isn't big., all those formats are for hand-held photography, use whatever you like as it won't made a lot of difference in your shooting style and image results. Micro 43 makes nice detailed A3 prints, apsc makes nice detailed A3+, full frame makes nice details A2 prints, in all cases, it won't be mural size prints unless accepting sharp drop in detail.
06-21-2022, 09:57 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Those trees that hide the forest. When I looked into medium format and large format camera systems, I realized that the world of camera split in two halves: the world of hand-held photography (small formats, no tripod required , most of the time) and the world of tripod photography (medium/large format, a tripod is a must have most of the time). So for me, the difference between micro43, apsc and full frame isn't big., all those formats are for hand-held photography, use whatever you like as it won't made a lot of difference in your shooting style and image results. Micro 43 makes nice detailed A3 prints, apsc makes nice detailed A3+, full frame makes nice details A2 prints, in all cases, it won't be mural size prints unless accepting sharp drop in detail.
Yes, and APSC is at the sweet spot considering size, weight an IQ, and as one mentioned m43 has definitely advantage in macro works, and I also shoot flowers and bugs...etc.

06-21-2022, 10:13 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I can understand getting m43 for a smaller and lighter system. But for adapting FF lenses the big change in FOV using the smaller sensor would ruin it for me.
06-22-2022, 05:12 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I recently left m43 because I had too many systems to feed (Sony full frame and Pentax APSC in addition to m43 at that time). It was a lovely system that I greatly enjoyed using, but only with native lenses. Adapted lenses never clicked for me on that platform. The crop factor made it less appealing to adapt lenses. I currently own a Sony d full frame camera and still do little adapting outside of the Pentax lenses used on a monster adapter. Adapting might be great if you already own the lenses or have a passion for it, but the ease of use of native lenses is hard to ignore.

In the end m43 had to go for two reasons unrelated to use or output. 1) I own a lot of Pentax gear and enjoy using it. 2) my dad wants to shoot Sony with me.
06-22-2022, 06:33 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I switched to M4/3 a few years ago and almost made it permanent. However the more I played with it I just wasn't happy with it. I like the small form factor & 4:3 aspect ratio, but wasn't happy with the dynamic range and hated the Olympus menus among other things. I had an Oly M5iii & M10 for infrared. Ended up selling off both. Eventually got another M5 for infrared, but that might end up getting replaced as well. The system has it's advantages, but full frame & medium format suit my needs better.

06-22-2022, 06:43 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As someone who has used adapted lenses a lot on Pentax APS-C, the same lenses feel weird on m4/3. The change in FOV is striking.

I also tried Fuji (X-T20) and disliked the feel and controls.

IIRC, a couple years ago Olympus said that sales of the Pen-F were not robust enough to warrant a successor, and maybe now the E-P7 fills that role.

I haven't had any issues with "bokeh control" due to the smaller sensor.

Overall, m4/3 doesn't feel better or worse than any other format, just different.

06-22-2022, 06:49 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Adapted lenses are not my thing. I'd only get an m43 sustem to use their native glass. I'd use PRO lenses with Olympus or Pana-Leica with Panasonic.

I wouldn't even mix & match Olympus & Panasonic lenses since some features are proprietary & only work within their own brands like Dual Sync IS & stuff like that.
06-22-2022, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just recently picked up a Lumix GX9 and several lenses to try out over the past few weeks. The main reason was the lighter weight travel kit for hikes during the day. So far, I really like the system. It is very light and great for taking on hikes. The IQ is very good and comparable to my K70. The Panasonic controls along with the touch/flip screen are easy to use. I wear reading glasses so the rear monitor works well for me. I decided that I am going to rebalance equipment by selling some of the Pentax gear (K5IIs and 10-17 Fisheye I do not use much and maybe one more lens). Going to just two battery systems to support will keep things simple. The two systems will be a great compliment to each other in my mind. Lumix GX9 for the easy day travel/hiking and Pentax K70 for low light and weather sealing when needed. I'm sure there will also be overlap between the two. The Lumix lenses I have are splash and dust proof, but the body is not.
06-22-2022, 09:50 AM   #11
Pentaxian

After shooting video on a Lumix GH-5s for the last 4 years or so, I bought an LX100 for use as a back-up video camera, as well as to use as a "carry everywhere" stills camera. The image quality isn't quite as good as my K1, but for the size, weight, and built-in flexibility, it does a great job. It's got a built-in Leica lens that's roughly equivalent to a 24-70mm f1.7-2.8 on a full frame camera. If I want a super-portable kit, I pair it with my Q and it's 06 telephoto zoom to give me an equivalent range of 24-200mm with nothing slower than f2.8.
06-22-2022, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a Panasonic GX85 and recently an Olympus EP7. I liked the handling, menus, and image in both. The Olympus had better high ISO noise control, even if both fall quite short of my fabulous Kp.
The m43 lens selection is fantastic, and if could start photography from zero, I'd go all Olympus: a M5-III, E-P7, 12-45 and 40-150 F4 pro lenses, and 45mm 1.8
The Panasonic 12-32 pancake zoom as very good image quality and makes the smaller cameras almost pocketable, perfect for street photography

I also own a Fuji X-e3, and while I like the film simulations, the handling is terrible, even with so many controls; and the menus are a big no.
06-22-2022, 10:48 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gianclaudio Quote
I had a Panasonic GX85 and recently an Olympus EP7. I liked the handling, menus, and image in both. The Olympus had better high ISO noise control, even if both fall quite short of my fabulous Kp.
The m43 lens selection is fantastic, and if could start photography from zero, I'd go all Olympus: a M5-III, E-P7, 12-45 and 40-150 F4 pro lenses, and 45mm 1.8
The Panasonic 12-32 pancake zoom as very good image quality and makes the smaller cameras almost pocketable, perfect for street photography

I also own a Fuji X-e3, and while I like the film simulations, the handling is terrible, even with so many controls; and the menus are a big no.
I've not used any m43 but did have a XE-2, and I finally found someone I can agree with about it, terrible overall handling of the Fuji but quite nice IQ, but I decided not to touch that brand again ! I wanted to get the Pen F instead of the Lumix for one reason, OM like the Pentax has deep root in photography will give me a better user experience, and I don't shoot video that the Lumix is strong at. I like the Pen F for it's low profile retro body design, and I need an EVF due to my eyesight. I do not have much experience with OM but the E300 which was my first DSLR, it took very sharp photos even with adapted m42 lens, I believe the Pen F can do even better and it was released less than 10yrs. ago.
06-23-2022, 05:02 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
I've not used any m43 but did have a XE-2, and I finally found someone I can agree with about it, terrible overall handling of the Fuji but quite nice IQ, but I decided not to touch that brand again ! I wanted to get the Pen F instead of the Lumix for one reason, OM like the Pentax has deep root in photography will give me a better user experience, and I don't shoot video that the Lumix is strong at. I like the Pen F for it's low profile retro body design, and I need an EVF due to my eyesight. I do not have much experience with OM but the E300 which was my first DSLR, it took very sharp photos even with adapted m42 lens, I believe the Pen F can do even better and it was released less than 10yrs. ago.
Having used both Olympus and Panasonic m43 I will say that Panasonic, not Olympus was far easier to transition back and forth to from Pentax. The menu system, while different, was logically laid out in a way that was more similar to how Pentax functioned. The Olympus was a bit more chaotic and confusing. I found despite the photographic pedigree the Olympus cameras were harder to adjust to and use than the Panasonics. The rangefinder style bodies from Panasonic in particular were appealing ergonomically also. Ironically the gx7 was my favorite, exceeding the gx8 experience despite the improved sensor due to ergonomics.
06-23-2022, 09:22 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I picked up a third-party grip (JJC DMW-HGR2) that improved the ergonomics of the GX9 considerably.