Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
06-27-2022, 12:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Selling regrets

Last year I bought the K-1II for a good price. After that I slowly sold all my many many APSC lenses and bought a few good FF lenses. That was the goal: a smaller better kit! This Saturday I sold my old K-5IIs. I didn't really want to part with it, but keeping it and never using it seemed silly.

Now the guy that bought my camera keeps messaging me about how that there is a very big delay between taking a shot and seeing the image on the back LCD screen. I only saw the messages today, two days later. And he's already accusing me of ripping him off, because I hadn't responded yet. Honestly, the camera was functioning very well. It only had 10k shutter actuations. And I'm so careful with my stuff, it didn't even have any usage marks. It could go right back in the shop's display as new. It sure is true that it has a slow write speed, but it's also a 12 year old camera with speeds to match the technology of that day.

This situation is giving me so much anxiety that I'm about to offer to buy it back. Am I crazy?

06-27-2022, 12:08 AM   #2
Unregistered User

Did you sell it in person or online?

QuoteQuote:
In the EU you have the right to return purchases made online or through other types of distance selling, such as by phone, mail order or from a door-to-door salesperson, within 14 days for a full refund. You can do so for any reason – even if you simply changed your mind
06-27-2022, 12:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CraigR Quote
Did you sell it in person or online?
In person. Which I vastly prefer, to avoid these types of situations. I had asked him to bring one of his own lenses so he can sit down and properly test it. Which he did. I think he fiddled around with it for over half an hour.

QuoteOriginally posted by CraigR Quote
In the EU you have the right to return purchases made online or through other types of distance selling, such as by phone, mail order or from a door-to-door salesperson, within 14 days for a full refund. You can do so for any reason – even if you simply changed your mind
It think this only applies to stores. Not for second hand goods that are sold by private persons.
06-27-2022, 12:29 AM - 8 Likes   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

What he's describing could be caused by a number of things that don't indicate a fault... for example, having lens corrections and other JPEG-related settings enabled; using an SD card with poor performance; two-second shutter delay etc. I would advise him to reset the camera and insert a recent, known-good SD card with decent performance; turn off all corrections from the menus; select JPEG as the file type; and see how it goes from there...

06-27-2022, 12:35 AM - 1 Like   #5
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
In person. Which I vastly prefer, to avoid these types of situations. I had asked him to bring one of his own lenses so he can sit down and properly test it. Which he did. I think he fiddled around with it for over half an hour.

It think this only applies to stores. Not for second hand goods that are sold by private persons.
He tested it for half an hour and bought it. I would not stress, you do not have to give him his money back - tell him to do as BMC writes above.
06-27-2022, 12:46 AM   #6
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
He had the camera for half an hour, tested it and it was all working when it left your possession. I'd have little truck with his protests and tell him as much and I'd pass on the advice Bigmack gave you above. Much depends on your appetite to deal with this though and if you find it simpler to accept the camera back than try to help a numpty, so be it, do that. Some people never cease to amaze me though when they buy things.
06-27-2022, 02:16 AM   #7
Pentaxian

How long is a big delay? My K-50 takes a couple of seconds to display the image with corrections turned on and maybe a second with them off.

06-27-2022, 03:31 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bet he has turned clarity or some other jpeg enhancement on. It makes a big difference in write speed. Whilst you aren't obliged to buy it back I probably would just for peace of mind. . it is a hugely desirable camera being the best of the K5s so you will have no trouble selling it once you have tested it. I wouldn't want something I had a personal attachment to to be in the hands of someone this unpleasant and would take great pleasure in pointing out that the only problem was operator error and you have since sold it for way more money (whether you have or not)
06-27-2022, 03:36 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I usually give folks a week after purchase to return gear that I have sold them, less some sort of a handling fee. I think that is reasonable to do.

As others have said, I think his expectations of the camera are out of line for that camera's age, beyond which, he likely has some thing like lens corrections turned on and it is slowing it down even more.
06-27-2022, 04:03 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

I don't think you're under any obligation to buy it back if it's working. As others have stated, it may be a question of managing expectations but even then, if he used it before confirming the sale then it's maybe something that has happened since the purchase, which is part and parcel of buying used gear. And I say that as someone who traditionally buys almost all of his camera gear used, so being in that situation myself would really hurt, but if you buy used gear and want a guarantee then you need to pay more and buy from a shop that provides guarantees.
06-27-2022, 04:22 AM - 8 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everybody for the advise.

I've been able to resolve the issue for the buyer. I advised him to disable all in-camera processing options. And that resolved the issue. There was indeed a very big delay. And I never noticed that because I always shot RAW only. Prior to the sale I reset the camera to factory defaults & put it on green mode which effectively enabled all the processing.

But I do need to refrain from selling stuff until I get my anxiety under control again.
06-27-2022, 04:37 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That camera is slow by modern standards. Even my k-3 is significantly slower than my KP. Get more details on how slow it is and offer advice on turning off in camera jpg corrections. That’s about the only thing I can suggest.

Edit: we must have posted about the same time. Glad it all worked out.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 06-27-2022 at 11:50 AM.
06-27-2022, 04:46 AM   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I advised him to disable all in-camera processing options. And that resolved the issue. There was indeed a very big delay. And I never noticed that because I always shot RAW only.
Excellent news, and well done

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-27-2022 at 08:15 AM.
06-27-2022, 05:03 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But I do need to refrain from selling stuff until I get my anxiety under control again.

Understandably, you're a bit phased now, Wilfried. But actually, I haven't made the worst experience with selling honestly and carefully described photo gear privately on ebay. By sticking with trustworthy sellers, I've even been able to net several mint-copy Pentax lenses by now, which I wouldn't have been able to afford otherwise. Of course, your mileage may vary.
06-27-2022, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

If he tested it for half an hour, you're golden. I wouldn't have accepted that long a test.

I'm sure he simply turned on Clarity, or he's using an older, slow memory card. Or he can't live with a 12 years old camera with less than 10k accuations.

I'd say these things to him, politely, then leave it be.