Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2022, 10:48 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Airport:Extra DSLR battery ok in carry on?

Hello,

On my way to the airport for a trip and took my K20 with me. Other than the one in the camera, is it ok to have 2 spares in the carry on camera bag? Or should I toss them in the checked luggage? Haven't traveled with a camera in 4 years.

Thanks,
Ismael

07-08-2022, 11:00 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I traveled by air last December from California to Florida with Q-7. I had it as carry on and I had extra battery in carry on as well. It was OK. I believe carry on is always better option.
07-08-2022, 11:32 AM - 2 Likes   #3

Spare batteries are allowed in carry-on luggage only. If you have to check the carry-on before or after boarding the plane the batteries have to be removed from the luggage and kept in the passenger area. Lithium batteries are not allowed in checked luggage.

https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/resources/media/Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf
What Can I Bring? All | Transportation Security Administration
07-08-2022, 11:52 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you!
Took the charger as well.
See you soon!

Thanks,
Ismael

Last edited by ismaelg; 07-08-2022 at 08:31 PM.
07-08-2022, 12:28 PM - 1 Like   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
as noted, lithium batteries are not allowed in checked luggage

I always carry the spare batteries in a way that the terminals of the batteries cannot touch

QuoteQuote:
Q1. What kinds of batteries does the FAA allow in carry-on baggage (in the aircraft cabin)?
A1. . . . Spare batteries must be protected from damage and short circuit. . . .

Q5. What does “protected from short circuit” mean?
A5. When metal objects such as keys, coins, tools or other batteries come in contact with both terminals of a battery it can create a
“circuit” or path for electricity to flow through. Electrical current flowing through this unprotected short circuit can cause extreme
heat and sparks and even start a fire. To prevent short circuits, keep spare batteries in their original packaging, a battery case, or a
separate pouch or pocket. Make sure loose batteries can’t move around. Placing tape over the terminals of unpackaged batteries
also helps to insulate them from short circuit.
https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/resources/media/Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-08-2022 at 12:36 PM.
07-08-2022, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's even a good idea to run the carry on batteries down to about 20% if that doesn't interfere with their use upon arrival. They are less prone to giving issues that way. It's mostly fully charged batteries that short and catch on fire. There are also fire preventative carrying bag options if you want to go that far. Camera batteries are a lot less of an issue than some of the higher power batteries (e.g. drone batteries), so these are just suggestions if you want to be extra careful.
07-08-2022, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #7
PDL
Pentaxian

I returned from a trip to Norway, London and Amsterdam a few weeks ago. I went through four airport security five (5) times and had zero issues with traveling with four (4) batteries for my K-3II. They were in my carryon luggage; one in camera and three in small plastic boxes sold as storage containers. (Super Stackers) At no point was I questioned about having components with Li-Ion batteries.
So, my bag had my Kindle, laptop, camera with three batteries, a UV-C light source and my Zune. Along with my phone and Fitbit, that is eight (8) Li-Ion batteries that did not raise any issue with security in the USA, Norway, UK and Netherlands.
Don't overthink this.

07-09-2022, 08:49 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
I returned from a trip to Norway, London and Amsterdam a few weeks ago. I went through four airport security five (5) times and had zero issues with traveling with four (4) batteries for my K-3II. They were in my carryon luggage; one in camera and three in small plastic boxes sold as storage containers. (Super Stackers) At no point was I questioned about having components with Li-Ion batteries.
So, my bag had my Kindle, laptop, camera with three batteries, a UV-C light source and my Zune. Along with my phone and Fitbit, that is eight (8) Li-Ion batteries that did not raise any issue with security in the USA, Norway, UK and Netherlands.
Don't overthink this.
Check online for lithium battery limits. 100 to 160 Wh is a seriously large battery and you may bring several of each.
https://www.iata.org/contentassets/6fea26dd84d24b26a7a1fd5788561d6e/passenge...um-battery.pdf
07-09-2022, 09:00 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Last week my wife asked me to dispose of her old iPad.

I took a hammer to it on the driveway as there was some personal stuff on it I didn't want to get out.

To my surprise, the lithium battery in the iPad started a small fire while I was smashing up the iPad.

Even with that tiny little fire, the limited smoke that it gave off was horrible and overpowering. I have no doubt that a more serious lithium battery fire inside a confined area (like a plane) would produce seriously toxic and irritating smoke that would make breathing difficult (to say the least).
07-09-2022, 09:06 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
. . . They were in my carryon luggage; one in camera and three in small plastic boxes sold as storage containers. (Super Stackers) .
good idea

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Check online for lithium battery limits. 100 to 160 Wh is a seriously large battery and you may bring several of each.
https://www.iata.org/contentassets/6fea26dd84d24b26a7a1fd5788561d6e/passenge...um-battery.pdf
FAA says:

QuoteQuote:
Lithium ion batteries (a.k.a.: rechargeable lithium, lithium polymer, LIPO, secondary lithium). Passengers may carry all
consumer-sized lithium ion batteries (up to 100 watt hours per battery). This size covers AA, AAA, cell phone, PDA, camera,
camcorder, handheld game, tablet, portable drill, and standard laptop computer batteries. The watt hours (Wh) rating is marked
on newer lithium ion batteries and is explained in #3 below. External chargers are also considered to be a battery.
With airline approval, devices can contain larger lithium ion batteries (101-160 watt hours per battery), but spares of this size are
limited to two batteries in carry-on baggage only. This size covers the largest aftermarket extended-life laptop batteries and
most lithium ion batteries for professional-grade audio/visual equipment.

 Lithium metal batteries (a.k.a.: non-rechargeable lithium, primary lithium). These batteries are often used with cameras and
other small personal electronics. Consumer-sized batteries (up to 2 grams of lithium per battery) may be carried. This includes
all the typical non-rechargeable lithium batteries used in cameras (AA, AAA, 123, CR123A, CR1, CR2, CRV3, CR22, 2CR5,
etc.) as well as the flat round lithium button cells.

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-09-2022 at 09:11 AM.
07-09-2022, 10:08 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote

I took a hammer to it on the driveway as there was some personal stuff on it I didn't want to get out.

To my surprise, the lithium battery in the iPad started a small fire while I was smashing up the iPad.

Even with that tiny little fire, the limited smoke that it gave off was horrible and overpowering. I have no doubt that a more serious lithium battery fire inside a confined area (like a plane) would produce seriously toxic and irritating smoke that would make breathing difficult (to say the least).
You can also just do a factory reset on the iPads. That wipes them and removes the user account. You can then turn them in to an e-waste recycler. Better than causing a fire and emitting toxic fumes everywhere.
07-09-2022, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
The large size is for mobility devices like electric wheel-chairs

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote

There's a lot of energy stored in the batteries, even when "depleted". When you crush the battery the innards short out releasing the energy in a very short time.

Watch the Linus Tech guy rebuild some battery banks and the precautions he took. As well as numerous "flare ups".

The airlines want the batteries in the passenger cabin because the crew can respond to a fire if need be. Depending on the aircraft the crew may not be able to access the cargo hold in flight.
07-09-2022, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's not just the stored energy in a lithium polymer battery but the electrolyte is very flammable and battery damage (a penetration) sets that off resulting in the flames and noxious fumes previously described. Water can't be used to extinguish such a fire since lithium is involved and reacts violently with water to produce hydrogen gas (adding "sparkles" to the fireworks).