Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 114 Likes Search this Thread
07-17-2022, 02:21 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
If so I am rather unfaithful, as I have so many...
I'm in the same boat.

07-17-2022, 02:34 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Well you do get quite a choice with my "Ladies"...
It sounds like you are the P..p of a "PHrothel".
07-17-2022, 04:01 AM - 4 Likes   #18
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
It sounds like you are the P..p of a "PHrothel".
Aye but that would be earning me money...

Whereas this bunch of "Ladies"... just cost me a fortune to keep the peace.
07-17-2022, 04:11 AM - 4 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

You must really go nuts when people use loose instead of lose......

07-17-2022, 05:22 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Two Countries Separated By A Common Language - iBrain

Need I say more ?
07-17-2022, 07:27 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nail on the head, oldbayrunner. And ‘allot’ instead of ‘a lot’. But then like Peter, I’m an old curmudgeon! 🤣
07-17-2022, 09:04 AM - 3 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

I often used to say, "My beloved Takumars." At least I did in the days before I fell out of love with lugging so much metal and glass around. And I still sometimes say, "My beloved K1000." Which I think is fair enough, since I've been shooting with it since 1980. It's harmless hyperbole, and not for one moment would I ever expect anyone to imagine that there's some sort of a genuine romantic obsession involved.

Anyway, that's enough from me for know. I need to start getting ready for my hot date with that cute photocopier that I met at the office the other day.

07-17-2022, 09:27 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Whereas my MX5 (Miata in the US),that certainly is my BELOVED!!
But that is just
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
A collection of metal, plastic and glass for ---
taking you somewhere
07-17-2022, 09:52 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I admit I call my red K-r "beloved" but I have no plans to sell it anyway.
07-17-2022, 01:35 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I about lost my lunch when I read yet another for sale ad here on PF where the seller expressed serious remorse in having to sell his "BELOVED" Pentax camera. Why do sellers keep calling their camera gear "BELOVED"? If the sellers' gear is really that special to him, then why is he even selling it?

I only see this adjective used to describe more expensive camera gear. For example, I've never seen a battery grip or a camera strap called "BELOVED". Maybe the seller thinks that by using such a gentle/loving/affectionate term he'll fetch a higher price because the buyer will believe the camera has been taken better care of?

I don't even call my wife "BELOVED", Probably the closest I've ever been to an inanimate object was the relationship I had with my rifle while in the US Army. I always slept with my rifle when in the field, yet I never referred to it as my "BELOVED" rifle.

Because "BELOVED" is so overused, maybe the next time that I sell my camera I'll have to come up with a new descriptor - what do you think of: darling, sweetheart, precious, sweetie, or cherished???? .
I’ve never sold a camera body - in general, when I replace one, it joins the army of backups in my closet.
07-17-2022, 08:01 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My Sears TLS. First film camera I got for school that my mom paid for. She passed away 2 years ago , so it has alot of sentimental value to it.
07-17-2022, 08:40 PM - 3 Likes   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I don't even call my wife "BELOVED", Probably the closest I've ever been to an inanimate object was the relationship I had with my rifle while in the US Army. I always slept with my rifle when in the field, yet I never referred to it as my "BELOVED" rifle.
Clearly it was, Fenwoodian, but you were too uptight to say it in words!

It's not too late, find out which National Guard unit has it now, seek it out, and tell it what it's always wanted to hear.
07-17-2022, 10:53 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmmm, yes I've always found other people's "love" for what in the end is an mere appliance somewhat odd. Quite similar to questions about loving a brand in general, even if it is Pentax. But then again, what's odd for me may be totally normal for others and vice versa. I don't particularly "love" my KP or my IR-converted K-5 but I do appreciate the fine level of manufacturing and engineering that went into to producing them as well as the results they end up delivering. I have one single exception: my Sigma 85mm/f1.4 which I used to call "the Beast" due to its size and weight. Used to as I since purchased the Irix 150mm macro which is even more beastly. Oh well...
07-17-2022, 11:46 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Forum Member

I was in the lift at my previous work with my camera slung over my shoulder and a colleague got in and said: 'Wow that looks like a great camera! I think I will borrow it to take headshots of everyone in my unit.'

Nasty old me responded with: 'Nobody borrows my camera mate*.'

Not entirely true, because other experienced photographers certainly get to have a play with it in my presence at least.

Perhaps if I had said something like 'This camera is my beloved' it would have softened the refusal a bit.

I offered to take the photos if I was paid casual senior research officer rates for a few hours. It was a good deal for them IMHO but their $200K odd a year unit head didn't think so. Apparently we are supposed to do that stuff for free.

BTW: There are three inanimate things I feel strongly about: my camera (and lenses), my bike (33 years old and ridden a lot more days than not for every year of our shared life), and my climbing gear (which, on occasion, stops me from going splat). Don't love any of it though, in the way you love dogs and, to a lesser extent, people.

*the Inuit have 42 different words for white and Australians and Londoners have 42 different nuances of 'mate' not all of them friendly.

Last edited by Billking; 07-17-2022 at 11:49 PM. Reason: left a bit out.
07-18-2022, 05:07 AM - 2 Likes   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
But that is just taking you somewhere
Only one of them always puts a smile on my face

Last edited by timb64; 07-18-2022 at 05:34 AM.