Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 114 Likes Search this Thread
07-19-2022, 09:15 AM   #46
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
I about lost my lunch when I read yet another for sale ad here on PF where the seller expressed serious remorse in having to sell his "BELOVED" Pentax camera. Why do sellers keep calling their camera gear "BELOVED"? If the sellers' gear is really that special to him, then why is he even selling it?

I only see this adjective used to describe more expensive camera gear. For example, I've never seen a battery grip or a camera strap called "BELOVED". Maybe the seller thinks that by using such a gentle/loving/affectionate term he'll fetch a higher price because the buyer will believe the camera has been taken better care of?

I don't even call my wife "BELOVED", Probably the closest I've ever been to an inanimate object was the relationship I had with my rifle while in the US Army. I always slept with my rifle when in the field, yet I never referred to it as my "BELOVED" rifle.

Because "BELOVED" is so overused, maybe the next time that I sell my camera I'll have to come up with a new descriptor - what do you think of: darling, sweetheart, precious, sweetie, or cherished???? .
It may well be that more appropriate terms can be used to describe items offered for sale. That said, I chose to not let the less than appropriate selection of descriptors by others get me worked up.

I have much more important stuff to spend energy on.

Last edited by Racer X 69; 07-20-2022 at 06:51 AM.
07-19-2022, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I about lost my lunch when I read yet another for sale ad here on PF where the seller expressed serious remorse in having to sell his "BELOVED" Pentax camera. Why do sellers keep calling their camera gear "BELOVED"? If the sellers' gear is really that special to him, then why is he even selling it?

I only see this adjective used to describe more expensive camera gear. For example, I've never seen a battery grip or a camera strap called "BELOVED". Maybe the seller thinks that by using such a gentle/loving/affectionate term he'll fetch a higher price because the buyer will believe the camera has been taken better care of?

I don't even call my wife "BELOVED", Probably the closest I've ever been to an inanimate object was the relationship I had with my rifle while in the US Army. I always slept with my rifle when in the field, yet I never referred to it as my "BELOVED" rifle.

Because "BELOVED" is so overused, maybe the next time that I sell my camera I'll have to come up with a new descriptor - what do you think of: darling, sweetheart, precious, sweetie, or cherished???? .
sleeping with your rifle reminds me of a little song we had to march to and sing in boot camp when a big city boy used the term "gun" rather than rifle. if you've seen full metal jacket you have heard it. and none of my gear is my beloved. my 6 grand babies maybe but not an inanimate object.
07-19-2022, 09:40 AM - 2 Likes   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
If so I am rather unfaithful, as I have so many...

Chris
You Tart
07-19-2022, 10:02 AM - 2 Likes   #49
Veteran Member

Interesting. I am surrounded by soulless cynics.
I can tell, I loved all Pentax's - K20D (first DSLR still works), K5IIs and K1S.
Yes, I sold my beloved K1S, switching to Nikon Z.
So much emotions and feelings were connected to Pentax - first its arrival, first feelings of something well made and consumer friendly, first pictures, expectation of FF camera, new lenses, comparison to the other brands, discussions on this forums, my daughter's childhood, growing with Pentax as a photographer, understanding and learning photography etc...

Nikon Z system better works for me, but I will never call it beloved...it is just a machine to take pictures that do not require a lot of time and creativity to post process...
Looking back and looking forward on the things I owned and sold and may sell, Pentax is still the one that desrves the word BELOVED, even it pushed me to switch on to Nikon Z..
Amen!

07-19-2022, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love my wife. I have called her my beloved. I have an adult son, he is beloved. My cocker spaniel, named DODI, I am very, very fond of. One of the meanings in Hebrew for “DODI” is beloved.

I have some Canon F1N AE cameras and lenses that I will never part with including: 24/2.0; 85/1.2; 55/1.2 aspherical. That is the lens that Leica evangelist Erwin Putz (it is impolite to laugh at people’s names) called the best 50mm lens ever made. I like that equipment a great deal, but it does not keep me warm at night, take care of me when needed, or offer me unconditional love.
07-19-2022, 10:30 AM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
I love my wife. I have called her my beloved. I have an adult son, he is beloved. My cocker spaniel, named DODI, I am very, very fond of. One of the meanings in Hebrew for “DODI” is beloved.

I have some Canon F1N AE cameras and lenses that I will never part with including: 24/2.0; 85/1.2; 55/1.2 aspherical. That is the lens that Leica evangelist Erwin Putz (it is impolite to laugh at people’s names) called the best 50mm lens ever made. I like that equipment a great deal, but it does not keep me warm at night, take care of me when needed, or offer me unconditional love.
I'll stick with 'loyal' or 'trusty'.Which explains the remorse if you do part with them reluctantly.
07-19-2022, 11:25 AM   #52

well said that man👍

07-19-2022, 11:36 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stillwell Quote
well said that man👍
How about "Amazing"
07-19-2022, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #54
Pentaxian

I don't know about calling it beloved but I have had the unpleasant experience of selling my camera gear when hard times came along. My very first SLR was a Miranda Sensorex 2 which I had saved up for. It wasn't a terribly expensive camera but it was the early 70's, we just had our first child and approximately $250 was a big expense. A few months after our second child was born, I was laid off and I ended up selling my camera and all my gear to pay for prescriptions for the kids. Calling a camera "beloved" kind of reminds me of Gollem in Lord of the Rings, "My Precious". LOL. My kids were more important.

Six months later, I was working again after moving to Upstate NY and I had a new camera, my first Pentax, an SP1000. I still have it along with my old Taks. They're just short of 40 years old and still working.
07-19-2022, 01:43 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My "beloved" is a Spotmatic F my dad gave me. It is no longer functional (you really can't smash it with a brick wall). I'm not going to sell it, nor would anyone want it save my dad that I still have his camera.
07-19-2022, 02:00 PM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stemked Quote
My "beloved" is a Spotmatic F my dad gave me. It is no longer functional (you really can't smash it with a brick wall). I'm not going to sell it, nor would anyone want it save my dad that I still have his camera.
Never say never with a Spotmatic F-I've never come across any Spotmatic that can't be got going again ( metering is another matter..). But if you chucked it against a brick wall, the wall would lose......
07-19-2022, 02:03 PM   #57

I hope you're not a mass shooter. Sleeping with your rifle???
07-19-2022, 05:19 PM   #58

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Overstatement seems to be part of the contemporary world. Perhaps it’s a result of affluence, loss of religiosity or the dominance of the consumer economy and the cult of “masstige”. I find it slightly irksome, just like when people tack the word “proud” in front of their self-identifier.

Ultimately, over-used words become “weasel” words: words that have had the meaning sucked out of them, like a weasel sucks the innards out of an egg.
or it could be just easier to use that one word descriptor rather than "my Pentax camera that I really like, am sad to loose and will miss but......." I don't use the word ever, personally.
07-19-2022, 05:20 PM - 3 Likes   #59
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rick V. Quote
I hope you're not a mass shooter. Sleeping with your rifle???
In battle or on exercises, it has to be with you 24/7, Rick, I'm sure you understand.

If enemies were decent enough to attack only during business hours, the life of a soldier would be easier.
07-20-2022, 12:18 AM - 1 Like   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
In battle or on exercises, it has to be with you 24/7, Rick, I'm sure you understand.

If enemies were decent enough to attack only during business hours, the life of a soldier would be easier.
Explains why so many were left on Underground trains in London during WWII.......