Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2022, 07:46 AM   #1

Packing camera for trip

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

My question is about how to pack my K-70 for an airplane. I want to bring my camera and one additional lens on vacation. My camera case is too big to fit in a pilot case and I do not want to put it in my checked bag.

Any suggestions on to safely pack the camera and lens for travel would be greatly appreciated

07-19-2022, 08:18 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by davea Quote
My question is about how to pack my K-70 for an airplane. I want to bring my camera and one additional lens on vacation. My camera case is too big to fit in a pilot case and I do not want to put it in my checked bag.

Any suggestions on to safely pack the camera and lens for travel would be greatly appreciated
You are allowed a carryon bag, correct?

A small bag takes up little space and you would be surprised the gear you can pack in such a case. I posted a link to a small travel bag. I am not saying to buy this particular bag, but something like it would work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/383797246891?ff3=2&toolid=10044&campid=5338847478&c..._redirect=true

Last edited by spiralcity; 07-19-2022 at 08:25 AM.
07-19-2022, 09:00 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use a cheap camera insert in my carry-on backpack. It has two spaces, one for the camera and one lens, the other for a second lens and my shoulder strap.
07-19-2022, 09:37 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As above, I'd use a padded camera insert in my carry-on or additional personal item. What's nice about these is that they can be easily removed for inspection if required, yet they keep most everything together.

Pro tip (from several years ago---airfares have gotten crazy right now...): the additional benefit of upgrading is that you can better assure overhead compartment space.

In the continental US on coast to coast flights, at least look at business/1st class fares, especially if your trip is a longer one. With business/1st class, your bags (for me it was 2 with United) will be free, and you are guaranteed overhead space because you board first. The seats are far, far better, you get free drinks and food. When it was all totaled up, the business/1st fare wasn't really much more expensive, and so well worth it. My kit in my Mindshift 30L bag is at least $20K replacement cost if not more---it flies with me in the cabin, thank you very much.

For shorter distances it's not worth it, so just make sure you check in the literal second check in is allowed. If flying an economy airline, good luck...

07-19-2022, 10:10 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by davea Quote

I suggest you review the information found here:

Bags and Cases - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Backpacks - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Camera Bags - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-19-2022 at 10:58 AM.
07-19-2022, 12:14 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Camera sling bag. Google it.
07-19-2022, 12:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always use a large backpack which 98% of the time is crammed under the seat in front of me. My current one is this:

https://www.manfrotto.com/global/offroad-hiker-backpack-30l-green-for-dslr-mb-or-bp-30gr/

It's supposed to hold 30 liters. The interior space is configurable with a separate camera compartment. I can fit quite a lot of camera gear in that space, all very well protected. If I need a large laptop, that works well too. It's comfortable to hike in. It's more than you really need; my idea is I can fit all of the essentials, not rely on overhead storage and carry on my back. Dislikes are branding (not great for high-crime areas), and if security makes you unpack it.

07-19-2022, 12:22 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a Peak Design 10L Everyday Sling Bag. What is really nice about it, is that I can load my camera gear in it, and it slides right into the large compartment of my travel backpack which is fine for carry-on. That way I can put other carry-on necessities in the other backpack pockets, along with my tablet. Once at my destination, the backpack stays in the room, and I am ready to go with my camera and lenses.
07-19-2022, 01:49 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My carry-on luggage is an old brandless camera backpack filled for 2/3 with bridge and one DSLR camera, 4 lenses (10-17mm, 17-70m, 50mmf1,8 , 55-300mm) chargers, filters... and 1/3 travel stuff.
Size is ok but weight is an issue sometimes for airlines restricting up to 8 kg.
07-19-2022, 03:03 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My carry on is a small backpack, no special photo brand. Lenses go in first, in Think Tank cases, I toss the camera on top (no case) so it’s handy for shooting. For the flight the same pack holds the ipad and any laptop that’s coming along. Once we’re there the laptop usually stays in the hotel safe. Never had a speck of trouble with that packing method
07-20-2022, 01:06 AM   #11
Closed Account

I don't have a specific camera bag so my approach has always been to put camera and lenses in their own cases and pack them into my carry on luggage. That way you can fit them in around things and keep your carry on relatively small and light.
07-20-2022, 02:33 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Don’t think I’d ever trust anything of value to the baggage handlers in the UK always carry it in hand luggage.

I’ve been very happy with a Thinktank sling bag.Space for dslr with two lenses travel docs and a mini iPad.