Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2022, 11:08 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Why you want a Leica ?

Hi there,

I only played with one Leica the M2, it was super quiet and well made, but I would not have bought it if it wasn't heavily used and sold in affordable price, coz I don't think it worth so much when new, in comparison the Bessa R2M was more reasonably priced, and it had user friendly design at least the film loading. I am not anti-Leica, and I know one of the reasons Leica cost so must was hand made/assembly instead of mass produced by machine, and German optics are the best in the world, but Japanese made are not too far off these days. I don't know the changes in Leica after it switched digital as I did not follow, but I believe with the same lot of money I could get 2-3 sets of Japanese equivalent. I am a real photographer and will shoot with every piece of equipment I purchased, instead of to put them in the safe box most of the time like jewellery. I don't think modern Leica can live with rough use like the Pentax, I worked in a German electronic office equipment company when I was young, and I've seen too many of failure on the electronics part that uncommon to see in Japanese equivalent, and my Metz flash gun failed early while my Nissin one still ticking, I can say that German electronics are unreliable. I don't know if Leica produced the digital cameras all by itself or partner with Panasonic, but I would go for Japanese made instead of the Leica even if I won a lottery, sorry guys but I still respect Leica but it's not for me !

Last edited by lotech; 07-20-2022 at 11:25 PM.
07-21-2022, 12:21 AM - 4 Likes   #2
Unregistered User

Thanks for letting us know you don't want a Leica.
07-21-2022, 12:29 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Leica is the best, simply because it's German, and what is German is unquestionably superior (even when it's not) . Same with Swarovski binocular in Austria, it's the best because it's made in Austria, and everyone's got a pair of Swarovski binos at the national park, even the tiny ones with 30mm aperture lens with which you can see nothing after sunset so dark it is.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 07-21-2022 at 12:40 AM.
07-21-2022, 12:38 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CraigR Quote
Thanks for letting us know you don't want a Leica.
Please make it cash thanks

07-21-2022, 01:17 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do not know what you are ranting about. You can get a Leica CL (made by Minolta) in perfect working order with lens for less then a Bessa R body.
Nothing wrong with that camera.

And why do you want a Bessa R at all, since you can get the Cosina CT-1 on which it is based for a whim and you will have a SLR ready for all of your precious Pentax lenses?

Last edited by Papa_Joe; 07-21-2022 at 01:22 AM.
07-21-2022, 03:46 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think I will get one either. Unless of course PENTAX stop making quality cameras.
07-21-2022, 05:49 AM   #7
Pentaxian

IF I could afford one, the Leica I'd want would be the M9 for that lovely Kodak sensor.

Who knows, I might still make it big and get one

07-21-2022, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
I don't think I will get one either. Unless of course PENTAX stop making quality cameras.
I think you mean that RICOH stops making a Pentax branded camera, Pentax of old did not survive as we know. But I own a few Pentax and Pentax-branded camera's. But the Super A is in a brick state, because Pentax of old refused to repair "because it was no longer worth it". That is not a response you expect from a quality camera maker. The reason I still use camera's with that K-mount is because I have quite a few lenses with that mount because of the film era...
07-21-2022, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You want Leica, because it is old style rangefinder. And casue it is Leica. Otherwise Leica meks no sense.

That said, I would not mind if someone gave me monochrome Leica But I would also settle for monochrome GR III
07-21-2022, 02:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have a Panasonic Lumix FZ-50 digital bridge camera that was co-developed with Leica and was one of the few such collaborative efforts that actually had a Leica counterpart, the V-Lux 1. I bought the Lumix used for around $100 about five or six years ago, and at the time the Leica V-Lux 1 was selling used on eBay for about $300. The cameras are virtually identical, except they each have their own firmware and some slight variations in the case design, sort of like the Samsung GX series of DSLRs that were essentially clones of Pentax models (*ist DL and DS and K10D and K20D) with their own firmware and minor case variations. Also, when new, the Leica had a three-year warranty, compared to one year for the Lumix. Side-by-side reviews of the two showed performance differences between the two were negligible and the consensus of opinion was, not surprisingly, that the Panasonic was the better value for the money. Brand enthusiasts, though, had differing opinions. Leica enthusiasts panned the V-Lux 1 as a Leica in name only, while Panasonic-friendly reviews hailed the FZ-50 as an opportunity to own what was essentially a Leica without the Leica price tag.
07-21-2022, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I wonder how many 80 year old DSLR's will still be working? I would love to have a Leica M3 or even an M4 or M5. I have no interest in the modern Digital Leicas. A nice old Canon or Nikon rangefinder camera would be pretty sweet too. I just never had the money to spend on them so I never got one. I would also like a nice 4 x 5 field camera. Without a home darkroom and an enlarger up to the task it just does not make sense to get one. I miss the smell of fixer in the morning.
07-21-2022, 04:03 PM - 3 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I dare the OP to go and post his comments over on Rangefinder Forum
07-21-2022, 06:16 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have always fancied owning a nice Leica M2 made in 1961, the year of my birth.

Chris
07-21-2022, 07:16 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I have always fancied owning a nice Leica M2 made in 1961, the year of my birth.

Chris
I am more used to the cheap Soviet RF than the Leica, the reason I got the M2 instead of the M3 was the frame line selection. I found 35-90mm is best for everyday use than the 50-135mm one, I don't know why some RF models like the Bessa omitted the wide end that RF is best for, anything over 90mm becomes inaccurate and too small the view to get focused properly.
07-21-2022, 10:15 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I want Leica monochrome. But the price of this toy is out of my league, alas.