Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2022, 09:07 AM - 8 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Having Fun Once again with Photography

I made a big mistake and in doing so, paid a price. Thinking I was upgrading to a mirroless world with a great carmera going to really like it. Well it is a great camera, the Fujifilm XT4 with a 16-55mm Red Tag lens and also a Fujifim X100v with a great fixed 23mm lens, both very good cameras and I got really good images. But why was I not having fun!!!! I take mostly landscape and I kept telling myself this is great, but always there was this under lying emotion of not really being satisfied. I said to myself, "you are not really having fun!" it was not causing me to have the fun I use to have with my Pentax K1 ii. WHY???

It has taken over two years for me to identify the reason and to come to grips with and being honest and owning the reason. Now, to complicate things I sold all my Pentax gear thinking and believing the Fujifilm XT4 would bring me too a new place in my photography life. Man, that was a dumb move! Even if the Fujiflim XT4 brought me to a new place in my experince as a photogrpaher I should have not sold my Pentax gear. I was not in a real "HAPPY" place. First of all I really got to disliking the mirroless view which the XT4 compared to a lot of mirroless cameras had a good view, but not like the view I would get from the mirror in my Pentax K1 ii. Plus, I got so tired of the complicated menu system of Fujifilm. I put a battery pack on my XT4 which made it easier to handle, yet, it was stil heavy when using the 16-55mm lens that I wanted on the XT4 to get good image quality. Also, I would from time to time look at images I made with my Pentax K1 ii and atually liked the color rendition and image quality better over all.

All that said, and after making an expensive mistake selling my Pentax equipment, I decided I needed to go back to a Pentax K1 ii, but will also keep the Fujifilm XT4 and X100v for other types of photography. All this said, I purchased me a Pentax K1 ii, with battery pack and a D-FA 28-105 WR Lens. Having fun once again taking photos with my Pentax system.

Last edited by mhsp1948; 07-21-2022 at 10:03 AM.
07-21-2022, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As they say, the grass is not always greener ...

Personally, I'm heavily invested in Pentax (K-1 & 3), but the niggle to try Fuji MF (and Pentax MF if I could convince myself Ricoh had a plan for MF) is sometimes not that far away. So your experience helps me and maybe others. You should take comfort with that ;-)

Ricoh's marketing has recently switched to the experience of using mirror based cameras, partly to distinguish themselves from the mirrorless trend, but also because there are many folk who know and become belatedly to appreciate, the DSLR is different and for them (us), better.

Pleased you've returned to the fold.
07-21-2022, 09:31 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've only had the K1 II for a couple of months, but I completely know what you mean. It is such a satisfying photographer's camera. I have never gotten into the Fuji X system because whenever I held and used a Fuji camera, I couldn't get over how much they felt like computers. I used (and still use) micro four thirds for a long time, and some of them act like computers as well, but there are some great features of M4/3 which are overlooked by many. I now have an Olympus EM5 II and the K1 II, along with a Ricoh GR IIIx, and it's definitely all of the digital gear I need or want to use. I am bowled over by how good the K1 files look, especially with M-series manual lenses from decades ago.
07-21-2022, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
I've only had the K1 II for a couple of months, but I completely know what you mean. It is such a satisfying photographer's camera. I have never gotten into the Fuji X system because whenever I held and used a Fuji camera, I couldn't get over how much they felt like computers. I used (and still use) micro four thirds for a long time, and some of them act like computers as well, but there are some great features of M4/3 which are overlooked by many. I now have an Olympus EM5 II and the K1 II, along with a Ricoh GR IIIx, and it's definitely all of the digital gear I need or want to use. I am bowled over by how good the K1 files look, especially with M-series manual lenses from decades ago.
Yes, I agree. We all live and learn. I had Cannon and Nikon before turning to Pentax, and so glad I did use Pentax. It always caused me to enjoy my photography. Thanks for the response.

---------- Post added 07-21-22 at 09:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote

Personally, I'm heavily invested in Pentax (K-1 & 3), but the niggle to try Fuji MF (and Pentax MF if I could convince myself Ricoh had a plan for MF) is sometimes not that far away. So your experience helps me and maybe others. You should take comfort with that ;-)

Ricoh's marketing has recently switched to the experience of using mirror based cameras, partly to distinguish themselves from the mirrorless trend, but also because there are many folk who know and become belatedly to appreciate, the DSLR is different and for them (us), better.

Thank you, so am I.

07-21-2022, 10:31 AM - 3 Likes   #5

QuoteQuote:
Now, to complicate things I sold all my Pentax gear thinking and believing the Fujifilm XT4 would bring me too a new place in my photography life. Man, that was a dumb move!

Read more at: Having Fun Once again with Photography - PentaxForums.com
Honestly, the last thing to blame for not reaching new heights in your photographic experience is the gear. Sure, there is some stodgy equipment out there but just think of what was used back in the day. Those photographers were shooting with nothing close to what we have today and producing quality images. IMO, never blame the gear, or think a new camera or more expensive lens will put you over the top, 9 out of 10 times you will be disappointed.

One eye of the photographer looks wide open through the viewfinder, the other, the closed looks into his own soul.

Henri Cartier-Bresson

Last edited by spiralcity; 07-21-2022 at 10:40 AM.
07-21-2022, 02:27 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Fuji cameras have a lot of appeal, the retro styling is great and they have the most complete APSC lens offering of any brand, and they are good quality to boot. I bought a used X-T1 a few years back thinking to dip my toes into the mirrorless waters. The camera is fine, but I also didn't fall in love with it enough to invest further. What it did make me realize is that if I invest outside of Pentax I want full frame and the AF, tracking, and video capabilities needed to be better, plus I wanted a proper grip on the camera and a much better evf. So I waited, several years actually, watching reviews as things changed out there. Nikon offered the most appeal for me in terms of design and specs, and mostly lens lineup, but the first gen Z6/7 were still missing a few things. The gen II's were closer but only after recent firmware updates they finally checked enough boxes for me. I acquired a Z6II and some lenses here recently. As good as the Z6II is, it certainly isn't a slam dunk over my Pentax gear. Basically I got 3 things, convenience of decent eye tracking AF for those wide open shallow depth of field shots of moving people, very good video capabilities, and access to better selection of long telephoto lenses. For everything else it's just niggling differences. I would describe the ergonomics and design choices on the Nikon as good, but my K1 and K3III are better, and I don't feel like that's just familiarity. That 3rd wheel, green button, TaV and other modes, are just so useful. The Z6II is way faster and more responsive than the K1 but not so much vs the K3III. I have no intention of getting rid of my Pentax gear, they kind of serve different purposes for me. K1 will still be my landscape camera which is what I bought it for. K3III with the DA*300 is so light and easy to pack around for wildlife. Z6II is the people camera with eye tracking and video. I did get a 200-500 F5.6 for the Nikon so I do some of my bird photos with it, but that combo is massive and heavy compared to the K3III and DA*300 so it's more for when I know I want to leave it on a tripod and maybe shoot video too. There is nothing game changing about it, it's just another camera. The AF is speedy and accurate, but by no means perfect. It still misses from time to time, and with telephoto I found the lack of cross type PDAF points tends to show it's face more often that I would like as it can't detect something close up if there is something contrasty far away, even when racking the full focus range. Just an oddity I didn't expect but is common across all mirrorless AF systems.
07-21-2022, 09:13 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Intesting. I too went mirrorless with a fuji xe3 and then xt30 and xt3. I like them all and can have fun with them but I love my k1 and k3iii. They feel great in my hand even thought they are bigger and heavier. there is a color rendition that the k1 has that I keep coming back to. But I will admit they are all fun. I like playing with Fuji film simulations, trying to guess which is best for my purpose and getting SOC pics. The pentax's are more import to light room images but so maleble. Welcome back to the fold!

07-21-2022, 10:09 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote

Forgive me, but I don't see why this should be an issue. By all accounts the 645Z is a great camera and it's capable of producing stunning images if what I've seen on here is anything to go by. Apart from a possible lack of spare parts in the future I can't see any reason why it shouldn't continue to serve a photographer very well for years to come.
07-22-2022, 03:51 AM   #9
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tried out an XT3 and 16-80 and a 23mm 1.4 and I didn't like it. A bit like you, I was looking for something other than what I had, in fact I was trying to simplify things, I just wanted one camera and a couple of lenses and for it to be lighter and smaller. I've ended up with Olympus kit and like you I sold my pentax gear. It remains to be seen if I've made the right decision, so far so good and I know people say changing gear is not the answer but sometimes it is, it really depends on why and how you use your camera but you don't always get that decision right because it's not always clear what is of value until you make that change. So even if you come full circle, as you have, you've learned something valuable in the process.
07-22-2022, 04:43 AM   #10
dlhawes

QuoteOriginally posted by mhsp1948 Quote
...Thinking I was upgrading to a mirroless world with a great carmera going to really like it. ...
But other than that sort of vague idea that you might like the mirrorless camera, seriously, why did you do all that? Were there reasons, or was all just a whim?
07-22-2022, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
I tried out an XT3 and 16-80 and a 23mm 1.4 and I didn't like it. A bit like you, I was looking for something other than what I had, in fact I was trying to simplify things, I just wanted one camera and a couple of lenses and for it to be lighter and smaller. I've ended up with Olympus kit and like you I sold my pentax gear. It remains to be seen if I've made the right decision, so far so good and I know people say changing gear is not the answer but sometimes it is, it really depends on why and how you use your camera but you don't always get that decision right because it's not always clear what is of value until you make that change. So even if you come full circle, as you have, you've learned something valuable in the process.

Yes I agree with you. I have learned something in this process and believe coming back to the K1-ii and also keeping my XT4 and x100v I will have much more latitude and enjoy especially my landscape shots with the K1-ii along with using the Fujifilm cameras for other things.

---------- Post added 07-22-22 at 07:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
But other than that sort of vague idea that you might like the mirrorless camera, seriously, why did you do all that? Were there reasons, or was all just a whim?
Just a whim that proved to be impetuous indeed! Was not really a wise choice and lessons have been learned.
07-22-2022, 09:06 AM - 2 Likes   #12

Well there you go! Ricoh has been saying they want to concentrate on bringing the "fun/joy/love of photography" to their products.
07-23-2022, 03:53 AM - 3 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The most important thing with photography is that you enjoy your gear and want to shoot with it. I have that connection with Pentax gear and while I probably could develop it with a different brand, when I pick up a different brand, I often feel like I'm struggling with the gear in a way I don't with my K-1 camera.

New Pentax cameras are close enough to older lines that they are easy to pick up and use as well.

There isn't anything wrong with the other brands and in point of fact, those who are used to Fuji or Nikon, probably feel the same way when they pick up a Pentax camera (if they ever do).
07-23-2022, 01:50 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The most important thing with photography is that you enjoy your gear and want to shoot with it. I have that connection with Pentax gear and while I probably could develop it with a different brand, when I pick up a different brand, I often feel like I'm struggling with the gear in a way I don't with my K-1 camera.

New Pentax cameras are close enough to older lines that they are easy to pick up and use as well.

There isn't anything wrong with the other brands and in point of fact, those who are used to Fuji or Nikon, probably feel the same way when they pick up a Pentax camera (if they ever do).
I very much agree, about enjoying one's gear. While I've not seen any mirrorless gear that interests me enough to consider buying, I do have some experience with Nikon. I've had a D700 and now a D750 and have not really developed that connection to either. The D750 while an improvement ergonomically and functionally over the D700 feels more dated in features and ergonomics - to the extent of feeling primitive when it comes to handling when compared to Pentax cameras from the K-5 up to and especially the K3 III. I did feel that connection to my Nikon film cameras, an FM and an FE2
07-23-2022, 02:27 PM - 4 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Why does the K-1 do such a great job reigniting that joy and sense of fun in photography? it really does do that, but I haven't nailed down why.