Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 40 Likes Search this Thread
07-23-2022, 03:03 PM - 6 Likes   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
Why does the K-1 do such a great job reigniting that joy and sense of fun in photography? it really does do that, but I haven't nailed down why.
Personally, I think there are two things. First, it makes you slow down. There is something good about gear that makes you slow down and think about shots before you make them. Second, it really has a design that is easy to work with. Every feature is accessible with a turn of a dial or the push of a button. A lot of modern cameras are trying to be as small as possible and simply aren't as comfortable or easy to work with. Menu diving is OK for some infrequently used features, but it is sure nice to be able to do most everything without doing that.

The K-1 is made for photographers and it shows.

Last edited by Rondec; 07-23-2022 at 06:36 PM.
07-23-2022, 03:25 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here is a link to photos I took with my D FA 28-105mm lens not to long before I sold my Pentax stuff Pentax HD D-FA 28-105mm f/3.5-5.6 - Page 5 - PentaxForums.com and I can't wait to go out this Tuesday and shoot with a K1-ii and the 28-105 again.
07-27-2022, 01:43 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I thought Pentax was going down the wrong road when they announced they were concentrating on a new prism finder for the K3 iii and not moving to mirrorless, then of course I bought a Fuji X-E1 body - second hand naturally - to try out assorted lenses I have bought over time and which would not readily adapt to either my Pentax film or digital cameras.

I have been using it mostly with old Leica screw mount lenses of various makes, lenses from my Olympus film days and a couple of long forgotten Exakta lenses but it all came back to two things, firstly no Image Stabilisation, I was surprised at how much the image shook in the viewfinder, I never had that trouble with my unstabilised film cameras, it improved slightly when I bought a genuine Chinese grip for it, and secondly the image itself, I could never really warm to the electronic image so as a comparison I went through every film camera on the shelf behind me, from those with old genuine prisms to the cheap mirror prism type and finally to the optical types from that in a Werra 1, bought new before time began at the enormous cost of £18 in London to, curses, £12 in a shop window in Dublin the same year, to a Leica IIIg to a Canon L2 rangefinder in which I think the viewfinder is better than that in the Leica, is that heresy, and finally back to that in the K70 which I think has the most beautiful finder of them all.

True the Fuji X-E1 is at least 10 years old and I supposed electronic viewfinders have advanced considerably since then but its not the same as those where you can feal you're just looking through a window into the view itself, maybe my description of the effect is not that good, however I now think that Pentax is right in that the prism finder is better than the electronic though this might be going against market forces which seem to be edging Pentax further into the sidelines and out of the realm of 3rd party markets where lens makers no longer seem to be catering to the Pentax mount, possibly making it a niche maker for the appreciative, somewhat like Leica though hopefully not at its prices.

By the way I have been told, by the powers that be, that I absolutely do not need another camera so I'm afraid I will not be stepping up to the K3 iii and will not actually see that finder and definitely, very definitely not up to the K-I ii.

Kind regards to all.
07-27-2022, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
As they say, the grass is not always greener ...

Personally, I'm heavily invested in Pentax (K-1 & 3), but the niggle to try Fuji MF (and Pentax MF if I could convince myself Ricoh had a plan for MF) is sometimes not that far away. So your experience helps me and maybe others. You should take comfort with that ;-)

Ricoh's marketing has recently switched to the experience of using mirror based cameras, partly to distinguish themselves from the mirrorless trend, but also because there are many folk who know and become belatedly to appreciate, the DSLR is different and for them (us), better.

Pleased you've returned to the fold.
I scratch the itch by going to John Lewis and holding various mirrorless cameras. I walk away thanking my lucky stars that I've never given in to the itch and sold everything to move to Fuji etc.

Nice cameras but lacking soul, lacking love, lacking an OVF.

I had a Lumix GX800 which was lovely, and also a GRIII that I never got on with. I have a K-1II coming soon (traded in my K-1 with Park Cameras - the deal is on the Pentax Price Watch sub-forum) and have a K3III which I am liking more and more - even without a flippy screen and with me having rheumatoid arthritis! Sometimes I like to pick up one of the cameras and just look through the viewfinder because I can. Fuji and Sony and Nikon Z's and Canon R's looks great and many people love them, but at the end of the day there is not a lot of joy in mirrorless for ME. Other people's MMV - I guess it comes down to personal preference.

Peated single malt? Blended? Or aged in bourbon and sherry casks? It's all whisky in the end, and cameras are just the same - they capture light, but how they do it is often special and unique, and that's what I like about this hobby.

07-29-2022, 03:19 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, I am having fun once again. Took this photo this week.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
08-12-2022, 08:15 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, indeed I am having fun again with my Pentax K1-ii using the D FA 28-105mm WR
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
08-12-2022, 10:01 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

I've kept my Fuji stuff for the rare occasions when I want a lighter kit to carry that is still capable of superior results. What this means in the real world is that I've used my XT-1 exactly once since I bought my K1 in 2016.
I keep thinking I should upgrade my Fuji body, but then I look at the use I would get out of it......

08-12-2022, 12:25 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I've kept my Fuji stuff for the rare occasions when I want a lighter kit to carry that is still capable of superior results. What this means in the real world is that I've used my XT-1 exactly once since I bought my K1 in 2016.
I keep thinking I should upgrade my Fuji body, but then I look at the use I would get out of it......
What is so wild is that I have a Fujifilm XT-4 with their best telephoto lens Red Tag XF 16-55mm WR and I have not taken it out since I again have just purchased a Pentax K1- Mark II and the D Fa 28-105 WR. I love Pentax colors. Now the XT-4 and the 16-55mm lens is an outstanding and a very fine camera. But I am just having to much fun with my Pentax. In fact will be taking the Pentax on vacation with me starting this Tuesday for two weeks.
09-02-2022, 03:21 PM - 3 Likes   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Still having fun!!!

Camera: Pentax K1-Mark II
Lens D FA 28-105mm
ISO 1600 28mm f/11 1/200s
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF