09-05-2022, 03:15 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Samuel our Savior

Looks like Samuel just saved Pentax!

09-06-2022, 12:28 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes young man, a lot of things existed before you came to this world, almost everything that you now take for granted, things you aren't even aware of, were created by generations and generations of people who live before you, and can you believe they did it without a smart phone, without a computer, just with a pen and paper! The whole DSLR thing with the mirrors & mechanics, all designed with a pen and paper. The Takumar lens elements and machined metal barrel, all designed with pen and paper, and not spending the entire day the head plunged into your smartphone without noticing what's going on around you! Can you believe it?
09-06-2022, 02:13 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice video. It's always interesting to see or hear the thinking of others. I do agree -- seeing directly with an OVF is my preference as well. And while film SLRs weren't hard to use, the grip on DSLRs is a welcome addition.
Thank you for sharing Samuel Lintaro's video!
09-06-2022, 02:31 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Nice video. It's always interesting to see or hear the thinking of others. I do agree -- seeing directly with an OVF is my preference as well. And while film SLRs weren't hard to use, the grip on DSLRs is a welcome addition.
Thank you for sharing Samuel Lintaro's video!
Yeh he's wonderful and it's always nice to hear about peoples photographic journey. I think photography (at least for me) feels very mood based and assignment based. I feel very fortunate to own two mirrorless cameras and two DSLR's, I find I have times I want or need to shoot with the MILC and other times I find myself reaching for the DSLR's/OVF. I did note that Samuel seems to be talking all about his D850 camera (and voigtlander manual focus lens) from a very casual case usage, I'm not sure if he were still doing weddings he'd be that gung ho to cover the whole event in manual focus on a DSLR... but hey folk have and used to all the time.
So that is how I feel quite a lot of the time, I like the MILC perks for 'work' stuff where my keeper rates are vastly improved but if there is a chance to slow down, casual, take it easy then I do love reaching for a Pentax.

It's great that already DSLR's are gaining hipster like attention and appeal, it really could bode well for Pentax if the clunk and slap of the mirror and OVF attraction becomes nostalgic for a lot of current MILC users. What Pentax needs to do now is make great cameras that appeal to the current MILC user base but not intending to replace those MILC investments but instead compliment and run along side. Fingers crossed Pentax still has some glory days ahead of themselves.

09-06-2022, 02:34 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've watched a few of his GRiii videos, overall I enjoy his channel.
09-06-2022, 11:27 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can't say much about all the usual mirrorless or other controversies, but the lack of a simple molded place to hold the camera is completely wrong.
09-06-2022, 01:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I can't say much about all the usual mirrorless or other controversies, but the lack of a simple molded place to hold the camera is completely wrong.
I do touch upon a lot of that stuff on my channel. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Fuji's MILC ergonomics. On the one hand the lack of molded grips is horrible with the shooting experience, on the other hand the size, weight and slim profile is actually very much welcome for things like stowing away, transportation etc. I can understand MILC camera brands really wanting to cement the small footprint aspect of these cameras over the previous generations of DSLR beasts... but I think there needs to be a middle ground somewhere. It's funny that this particular major gripe on all MILC systems seems to be something that could be very easily addressed by manufacturers, even if they make a comfortable mold for the hand and inside is simply 'dead space'... they could do it. And those cameras that have a grip are often rubbish, just flat all the way with no attention for recessed parts of the grip for how our hands/fingers actually appreciate (*ahem Sony!)...

MILC brands really need to copy the KP's innovation of supplying the camera with removable sized grips. Right now we have to rely on 3rd party bottom plates, cages and L plates to provide something more to grab onto but they're not all that great!

I guess we should be mindful however that cameras without deep recessed grips were very common before the comfy DSLR beasts... sometimes we give MILC systems a hard time on this front but no one ever seems to give older film cameras the same level of ergonomic insults when essentially they have exactly the same issue.

09-06-2022, 02:00 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
, but the lack of a simple molded place to hold the camera is completely wrong.
The lack of simple molded place to hold the camera is completely wrong, but that's secondary if you know how the camera market works, in one word : money. And money comes from market share. Every retailer and every reviewer line-up and bow any camera brand having lots of market share, and ignore brands that have a very small market share. It is simply a matter of revenue. You simply can't generate much revenue with a minority brand / technology because revenues come from popularity. Once a camera brand is in the top 3 most popular brands, they can sell crap, people will buy it because that'll be what's promoted.
09-06-2022, 04:32 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
I do touch upon a lot of that stuff on my channel. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Fuji's MILC ergonomics. On the one hand the lack of molded grips is horrible with the shooting experience, on the other hand the size, weight and slim profile is actually very much welcome for things like stowing away, transportation etc. I can understand MILC camera brands really wanting to cement the small footprint aspect of these cameras over the previous generations of DSLR beasts... but I think there needs to be a middle ground somewhere. It's funny that this particular major gripe on all MILC systems seems to be something that could be very easily addressed by manufacturers, even if they make a comfortable mold for the hand and inside is simply 'dead space'... they could do it. And those cameras that have a grip are often rubbish, just flat all the way with no attention for recessed parts of the grip for how our hands/fingers actually appreciate (*ahem Sony!)...

MILC brands really need to copy the KP's innovation of supplying the camera with removable sized grips. Right now we have to rely on 3rd party bottom plates, cages and L plates to provide something more to grab onto but they're not all that great!

I guess we should be mindful however that cameras without deep recessed grips were very common before the comfy DSLR beasts... sometimes we give MILC systems a hard time on this front but no one ever seems to give older film cameras the same level of ergonomic insults when essentially they have exactly the same issue.
My film camera experience was mostly with a Pentax P3n, which wasn't stellar in construction or features, but had good ergonomics and just enough of a grip to hold on. I got an MX about 15 years ago, should have been better all around, same weight, slightly smaller. I couldn't hold on to it comfortably.

My other hobby is woodworking with hand tools. The high-end tools have handles or grips that anyone could feel how good they are. The low-end hardware store stuff is uncomfortable flat planes and corners. In the video I was seeing the Leicas as annoying as a low-end tool.
09-07-2022, 12:34 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My film camera experience was mostly with a Pentax P3n, which wasn't stellar in construction or features, but had good ergonomics and just enough of a grip to hold on. I got an MX about 15 years ago, should have been better all around, same weight, slightly smaller. I couldn't hold on to it comfortably.

My other hobby is woodworking with hand tools. The high-end tools have handles or grips that anyone could feel how good they are. The low-end hardware store stuff is uncomfortable flat planes and corners. In the video I was seeing the Leicas as annoying as a low-end tool.
Yes, in my film days, I certainly got by just fine with "no-grip cameras" as there weren't too many back then unless you got to larger formats. I remember my aunt's 'professional' Hasselblad as just a fat rectangular "block" that had to be cradled with both hands. No grip. Not easy to manage or be casual with. Every move was carefully calibrated to frame correctly. It wasn't a one-hand street photography camera at all!

None of my many film cameras had a grip, but we were able to use them in those days. Now that DSLRs have such nice grips, it's easily seen how much easier they are to use casually. I feel it's less likely my fingers will slip off. I can move it around easily with one hand and fairly confidently shoot whichever direction I want without needing the other hand (although two hands improves stability).

Using an older film camera now is like those low-end tools you mention. I feel right away the lack of a grip and I, at least, feel they are more precarious than a DSLR grip.