Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2022, 04:52 PM - 9 Likes   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
"How many PHOTOS I take vs How many I keep | Canon vs Pentax"

Lee Iveson doesn't shirk from difficult photography - shooting motocross in the UK.

He owns both a Pentax K-3 and a Canon 7D Mk II (with what was at the time a much-hyped dual-pixel autofocus system).

What gives him the most 'keepers' with autofocus?

Do help a Pentaxian brother, 'Like' his video and subscribe to his Youtube channel!

09-07-2022, 01:16 AM - 6 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Who would have thought that Pentax can be used for fast action sport and produce a similar keeper rate with a Canon camera. Just goes to show that the photographer is an integral part of the equation.
Are you reading this DPR?😊
09-07-2022, 02:03 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you for this video. I haven't seen his videos before (I'm not a big video learner), but I find him interesting, easy to listen to, and informative. I've seen three more of his videos now. I enjoyed the one where he runs down what he likes about each of his four Pentax cameras (2022), the K70, K5iis, K3, & K3ii.
09-07-2022, 03:30 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Lee Iveson doesn't shirk from difficult photography - shooting motocross in the UK.
Motor-cross photography has the advantage that the subject trajectory is predictable, such that it's possible to obtain sharp photos without AFC tracking.

I shot a number of international ice skating competitions (indoors) with the Pentax K1 and DFA*70-200 @ f2.8 - f/4 due to being indoors (the light isn't great). The lens is optically stunning, but the keeper rate is very very low, most shots are partially or totally out of focus, unless the subjects stop moving, which is rare. I don't go shooting ice skating with the K1 anymore because then I have to shoot the whole day and sort thousands of images to find two or three images that are in good enough focus to print at A2 or A1 sizes. The DFA* lens is really good, too bad the auto-focus of the camera is far too slow for any action photography where the subject position is not predictable. BTW, once I have removed the 997 out of focus shots from the 1000 shots on the SD cards, I get 100% keepers out of 3 images that are in focus.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-07-2022 at 04:05 AM.
09-07-2022, 03:39 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

There's always "that guy"....

I've enjoyed a number of Lee's videos over the past few months. He's a humble person who doesn't feel he needs to use the latest gear to get the shots he wants, or pretends he knows more than anyone else. His videos are simple, friendly, and informative. He's just a good guy, and well worth subscribing!

Thanks for posting this one Ian.

Last edited by gatorguy; 09-07-2022 at 05:49 AM.
09-07-2022, 11:49 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have been following Lee's channel for quite a while now. Some of the things that make me return and made me hit subscribe in the first place:
  • proves that skill will often trump technology, but also that PLM has done a lot to raise the Pentax action photography game
  • truth-seeker, always eager to learn and try things out
  • wears his own expertise, particularly his considerable practical photography skills, lightly
  • genuinely passionate about photography
  • totally approachable, makes a great effort to answer comments, remains authentic, must be fun to hang out with
  • loves his Pentax kit to bits, but not to the point of fanboyism or keyboard warring
  • appreciates capable budget and legacy gear
  • talks in this adorable - what is it? - Durham accent that I just can't get over
09-07-2022, 02:14 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the main point of this video is that the keeper rate is not dependant on the gear. If you use a comparable setup in a similar situation, you will get similar results.

09-07-2022, 04:46 PM - 7 Likes   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote

I shot a number of international ice skating competitions
Well, you're not Lee.

I have no idea of how you attempt to shoot sports, or any kind of photography, of what I would see if I stood beside you, watching while you were trying.

I shoot like this, with the old screw drive Tamron 70-200:

Last edited by clackers; 09-07-2022 at 06:49 PM.
09-07-2022, 06:52 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
There's always "that guy"....
Yeah, often the same guy!

Guess we should be used to his moaning and whining.
09-08-2022, 12:50 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

I shoot like this, with the old screw drive Tamron 70-200:
I also have a shots like that one, with Pentax K1, AF disabled (zone focusing), also works with MF lenses. That was one shot successful out of 300 shots. Your image doesn't say how many were out of focus.

Yeah, often the same guy!
I don't like your attitude. You also said that Fujifilm were losing money and withdrawing from the camera market. Last financial report from Fujifilm show they are profitable and growing. Putting down others, some sort of bullying.
You are putting down someone's genuine and honest feedback from experience, the same experience that many other Pentaxians have had. You are doing this because you have an agenda, it's not nice.
Best is that nobody will comment anymore, you will comment on your own posts and agree with yourself, while the world is moving on.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-08-2022 at 01:51 AM.
09-08-2022, 02:29 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have found the K-3 III to be really helpful in raising the number of keepers I get. The DA *16-50mm PLM is really nice with it (I don't own the 55-300 PLM). I'm not an action photographer though, just shooting my kids doing every day things.

Obviously the skill of the photographer makes a big difference (Lee has some serious skill), but having gear that helps you is nice too. I do get a bit bothered when people say that they can't take action photography with Pentax if they haven't tried the latest cameras and fastest focusing lenses from Pentax. The K-3 III with a PLM lens may not quite be at a D500 level, but it is getting close enough that your keeper rate should be quite high.
09-08-2022, 02:59 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I have found the K-3 III to be really helpful in raising the number of keepers I get. The DA *16-50mm PLM is really nice with it (I don't own the 55-300 PLM). I'm not an action photographer though, just shooting my kids doing every day things.

Obviously the skill of the photographer makes a big difference (Lee has some serious skill), but having gear that helps you is nice too. I do get a bit bothered when people say that they can't take action photography with Pentax if they haven't tried the latest cameras and fastest focusing lenses from Pentax. The K-3 III with a PLM lens may not quite be at a D500 level, but it is getting close enough that your keeper rate should be quite high.
There is actually one member who now has both and is doing investigations into this and the early stages are that in some instances it's Pentax and others Nikon. Admittedly he is on a steep learning curve with the Nikon and I also understand that the Pentax has a complex AF system which also requires a lot of learning and working out which settings give the best results for different scenarios.
09-08-2022, 03:09 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joetitch Quote
There is actually one member who now has both and is doing investigations into this and the early stages are that in some instances it's Pentax and others Nikon. Admittedly he is on a steep learning curve with the Nikon and I also understand that the Pentax has a complex AF system which also requires a lot of learning and working out which settings give the best results for different scenarios.
That's gatorguy. I have followed that thread with interest. The K-3 III is better, but as you say, it also requires more tweaking to get the most out of it -- probably the D5 and D500 are the same way.
09-08-2022, 03:17 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Moderators Note:
Let's make things less personal, and stay on topic.
09-08-2022, 03:48 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for posting, another good photographer to watch & subscribe to.