Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2022, 08:30 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Do you still want a bridge camera and why ?

Hi there,

It may sounds silly to purchase a bridge camera if you already own a DSLR, but I want one for a reason. I do hiking and casual nature photography, a full set DSLR would be too much for me to carry. I did own couple bridge cameras before I got the DSLR, I found bridge cameras are specially good at shooting close up like flowers and bugs, also good for birding if you are not expecting too much. Bridge camera has a smaller sensor which is a definitely plus in shooting close up to get better DoF, and since it is close up you can get much of the detail without the need for a very high res. and large sensor, anything more than portrait then we better off to go with larger sensor DSLR/MILC.

There are 2 old bridge cameras on my mind, the Lumix FZ 300 and the OM Stylus 1s, why not the FZ 2000 but the old FZ 300 you may ask, the simple answer is the weather sealing that not commonly found on bridge cameras these days, it well suits the task for outdoor nature shooting despite it has a smaller sensor, and the OM is the 2nd choice since I do not shoot video often so don't need 4K.

09-19-2022, 09:46 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Never thought it silly to get a bridge cam even if one has a DSLR with an entire platoon of lenses.

Cuz sometimes, in certain situations, carrying along a single bridge camera is the most practical way (instead of lugging a DSLR with perhaps another 3 to 4 lenses).

Something like the Sony RX10iv is the only practical way sometimes.
09-19-2022, 09:56 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am inclined to look toward modern smartphone which has more than one rear camera. Some of then has three lenses like 16mm, 24mm and 60..70 mm (35 film camera equivalent). If the quality of images from tele lens is the same as of my Google Pixel 3a wide lens I will be more than satisfied.
09-19-2022, 10:09 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
I am inclined to look toward modern smartphone which has more than one rear camera. Some of then has three lenses like 16mm, 24mm and 60..70 mm (35 film camera equivalent). If the quality of images from tele lens is the same as of my Google Pixel 3a wide lens I will be more than satisfied.
Yes, modern smartphone has large sensor can replace the camera for everyday use, I read somewhere someone shoot the entire movie with an iPhone. On the other hand, smartphone camera is particularly handy for step by step recording of repairing, such as to dismantle and reassembly of a lens and other equipment, a great tool for those non photographers at work.

---------- Post added 09-20-22 at 01:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
Never thought it silly to get a bridge cam even if one has a DSLR with an entire platoon of lenses.

Cuz sometimes, in certain situations, carrying along a single bridge camera is the most practical way (instead of lugging a DSLR with perhaps another 3 to 4 lenses).

Something like the Sony RX10iv is the only practical way sometimes.
I did use the RX10 from friend sometimes, it is very handy and powerful, just too powerful I need time to get use to the features settings.

09-20-2022, 12:01 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have often thought about getting a Ricoh GR III for trips where I don't want to carry the K1 with me, but smart-phones have become so advanced now I think I will stick with that as my alternate.
09-20-2022, 12:13 AM   #6
Pentaxian

A couple of the local wildlife enthusiasts have great success with the Nikon P900 … the extra-long zoom with shake reduction really does work well if you're sensible in good light.
I doesn't have the ultra-wide capabilities of my DSLR with a 10-20mm fitted, nor the low-light capabilities, and the EVF takes some getting used to, but the results do speak for themselves!
Each of the users I've spoken to have expressed a weight (or budget) concern with carrying a fully-fledged DSLR and would rather have a "limited" bridge camera over their shoulder than a DSLR in the car
09-20-2022, 12:16 AM   #7
Forum Member

I've also been considering a bridge camera, the reviews suggest the Sony RX10 IV is the way to go. But I'm wondering as it is quite an old design that they might update it soon and the successor would be a lot better.

Tim

09-20-2022, 01:00 AM   #8
Pentaxian

My wife bought a Nikon P610 bridge camera several years ago. I've used it a few times if we're going somewhere where/when we don't want to take my Pentax DSLR for convenience reasons. The zoom is impressive, the evf less so. Menu system and controls are just not intuitive, but you can get a good image out of it. Linda's mobile phone camera now does most of what she wants, so the Nikon is seeing only occasional use, but we wouldn't part with it.
09-20-2022, 01:28 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank guys for the response, one thing I don't like about most bridge cameras is the fly by wire control of the lens, the focusing and zooming is just sluggish a pain to use, I wished the traditional mechanical control like the Fuji HS20 to come back, although the focusing still fly by wire zooming is mechanical. I know due to the cost no one will produce such camera for this shrinking market sector, and it would be too silly to get one such old camera today.
09-20-2022, 01:56 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I had a couple of Fujifilm bridge cameras before I went DSLR. At the time Fujifilm hadn't introduced their X series, and I had a Pentax film camera and lenses, which helped decide which system I went with.
The second bridge camera wasn't much lighter than the K-70 I have now with say the DA 55-300 WR on it, although that's only one lens. I don't find the D-FA 100/2.8 macro too heavy to carry around as well, but I've seriously considered an Olympus TG-6 as it's waterproof down to 15m, shoots RAW, and has built in focus stacking. It also has built in GPS. Having two cameras, one for macro, and one for larger subjects would cover most nature subjects, and not be too heavy to carry around, but avoid the need to change lenses, and being able to shoot underwater would open up an additional range of nature subjects.
The larger APS-C sensor of the K-70 would give an advantage for subjects like birds where higher ISO is required, but where a small sensor is likely to get noisy very quickly.
09-20-2022, 02:11 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kiwizinho Quote
...but I've seriously considered an Olympus TG-6 as it's waterproof down to 15m.....
I too got a Pentax equivalent of the rugged P&S a while back, it's a good addition to the kit and a go anywhere camera, but I found it not so user friendly for everyday use except for serious sport and diving, and the fixed lens limited the use. Since I got a rugged CAT phone already, although it does not dive as deep it got GPS onboard and plenty of apps for everything that well suit my needs.

Last edited by lotech; 09-20-2022 at 02:25 AM.
09-20-2022, 03:08 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
Hi there,

It may sounds silly to purchase a bridge camera if you already own a DSLR, but I want one for a reason. I do hiking and casual nature photography, a full set DSLR would be too much for me to carry. I did own couple bridge cameras before I got the DSLR, I found bridge cameras are specially good at shooting close up like flowers and bugs, also good for birding if you are not expecting too much. Bridge camera has a smaller sensor which is a definitely plus in shooting close up to get better DoF, and since it is close up you can get much of the detail without the need for a very high res. and large sensor, anything more than portrait then we better off to go with larger sensor DSLR/MILC.

There are 2 old bridge cameras on my mind, the Lumix FZ 300 and the OM Stylus 1s, why not the FZ 2000 but the old FZ 300 you may ask, the simple answer is the weather sealing that not commonly found on bridge cameras these days, it well suits the task for outdoor nature shooting despite it has a smaller sensor, and the OM is the 2nd choice since I do not shoot video often so don't need 4K.
My wife wanted a (budget) bridge camera and I got her this: https://www.photowarehouse.co.nz/shop/shop-by-product/digital-cameras/point-...erzoom-black/?

We discussed that purchase here: New camera for my wife - PentaxForums.com

She's been very happy with it and I must say it takes lovely photos. I know it's much more budget orientated than what you're looking at, but my point is that there is certainly a good few reasons for such a camera.
09-20-2022, 07:54 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Forumers @Pentaxians and @WPRESTO have done credible work with the Sony RX10 IV. The sensor is only slightly smaller than the m4/3 sensors, that massive zoom is pretty sharp considering the focal range, and the AF is reportedly excellent. I was sorely tempted to buy one but decided on m4/3 instead.

Rumor has it that the RX10 V will be introduced by the end of 2022, but given the worldwide supply-chain issues, who knows?
09-20-2022, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought the RX10MIV for travel and it served me well. I have not been disappointed by the IQ delivered at any FL. It is a three-ring system on the barrel just like old times = aperture closest to the body, then zoom (keep twisting, not like a lever that triggers a motor) and outermost a focus ring, but you can zoom with a lever at the shutter release as with virtually all fixed-lens digital cameras, and both the ring and the lever are active all the time, no need to go into the menus to shift from one to the other. AF is very quick, very accurate. You can have only AF, AF with manual ring over-ride or tweaking, or full manual focus with, if you ant either or both, the usual focus peaking and enlarged focus assist. Try carrying a lens for a FF, APS-C or even MFT that gives a FF FOV equivalent to 600mm f4. Two caveats: 1) the SONY is heavy, heavier than I thought it would be; 2) the widest it goes is 24mm FF FOV equivalent. I brought along a lightweight MFT body with a 7.5mm Laowa and a Samyang fish-eye, both of which were useful for some interior shots on our recent trip to Scandinavia. Outdoors for UWA the RX10 has panoramic sweep, wider or shorter sweep; horizontal or vertical camera orientation; pan right or left or up or down. How many FF or APS-C DSLRs offer those options?

No unreasonable claims are made here. My Olympus 300mm f4 delivers better IQ than the Sony, and the K1 I had for a while delivered better IQ across the board. BUT, the most valuable equipment is what you have when and where you need it. Toting the K1 with 150-450mm, plus shorter FL lenses, was way, way more burden and bulk than the RX10. I don't need the extra IQ, and were I to post 30 images, some taken with the RX10, some with the K1, some with the K3, and some with one of the MFT cameras, I doubt anyone could come close to correctly assigning every image to the correct camera.
09-20-2022, 11:28 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another option:

https://electronics.sony.com/imaging/compact-cameras/all-compact-cameras/p/dscrx100m7-b

1" sensor, zoom lens, small, and poketable. This is the latest 7th generation, with 6 earlier versions out there. I was able to buy a like new orginal
RX100 for $100