Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2022, 02:58 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stunning wetlands photography from the Mangrove Photography Awards

The winners of the 2022 awards were already announced back in the summer, but I hadn't come across them before, as I hadn't been aware of the contest itself, which seems to be in its 8th year now. Just wanted to share what I found to be one of the most immersive viewing experiences I've had in quite a while:

https://photography.mangroveactionproject.org/gallery/winners-2022

Reminds me of how reliably the Mangrove at Burgers' Zoo Arnhem, The Netherlands, tends to give me keepers whenever I visit there. Just the palest reflection of what way better photographers than me are achieving out in the wild, but hey:

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 11-15-2022 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Faulty link fixed.
11-15-2022, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #2

Thanks for sharing, some fantastic shots among the winners of the competition and yours from the post aren't too shabby either, I like that first silhouette pic.

I hadn't heard of this competition before either.
11-15-2022, 06:56 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
this is what photography stand for . not a gear leaking , cameras brand comparison , what's in my bag .........................
11-15-2022, 10:07 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are two with crocodiles that weird me out. I want to know how those shots were made safely.

11-15-2022, 11:26 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
There are two with crocodiles that weird me out. I want to know how those shots were made safely.
+1 especially the top one!
11-16-2022, 04:51 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for sharing! One could spend hours examining these great images.
11-17-2022, 12:48 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Just the palest reflection of what way better photographers than me are achieving out in the wild
"The other man's grass is always greener". Most of the time those "way better photographers" have the opportunity to do that, because their life is different from yours. And they were not there when you took the pictures you are showing us here. I very much like the third one of the crab creature, I wish I had made that picture... It is a pure and simple picture, but still you made it and I think you must be proud of that one. Same goes for the butterfly shadow, you took the opportunity, you were there. It is not the palest reflection, you should be proud that you have that eye to make these pictures. And realize that those "way better photographers" only show you the "keepers".

Last edited by AfterPentax Mark II; 11-17-2022 at 12:51 AM. Reason: typo
11-17-2022, 01:19 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
"The other man's grass is always greener". Most of the time those "way better photographers" have the opportunity to do that, because their life is different from yours. And they were not there when you took the pictures you are showing us here. I very much like the third one of the crab creature, I wish I had made that picture... It is a pure and simple picture, but still you made it and I think you must be proud of that one. Same goes for the butterfly shadow, you took the opportunity, you were there. It is not the palest reflection, you should be proud that you have that eye to make these pictures. And realize that those "way better photographers" only show you the "keepers".

Now, thanks indeed for your lavish praise and uplifting words, definitely appreciated. Well, it seems that nearly forty years into my photographic journey, I am capable of pretty decent photographs, and I even seem to be getting them with some consistency. I do take pride in them - I guess I wouldn't share them otherwise - but I also see when other photographers produce photographs with a depth of storytelling or multilayeredness or other qualities that I sure aspire to but rarely achieve. But I'm not as competitive as some, and have always felt that great photography should be enjoyed and possibly learned from rather than envied. Hence the link to the award-winning wetland shots. As for my own humble attempts at Burgers' Zoo, I shall return there since I have a one-year ticket ...

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 11-17-2022 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Nuance.