Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2022, 07:12 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
This looks like a really interesting tripod: but it has a built in head like the peak design type. It is slightly different in multiple ways and some prefer this to the peak design irrespective of cost. I’m on the fence about it and may try one soon.

https://www.ulanzi.com/collections/tripod-2/products/ulanzi-f38-quick-releas...el-tripod-3131
Imwould say in many ways it'S quite the Peak Design copycat

12-07-2022, 11:44 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Imwould say in many ways it'S quite the Peak Design copycat
The f38 in particular added a peak design compatible quick release. But it is also an improvement per several reviewers. The head being able to fully tilt to 90 degrees is a benefit to me as I don’t use an L plate. The other bits I’m not sure add or subtract much.
12-07-2022, 06:50 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The head being able to fully tilt to 90 degrees is a benefit
The Peak Design head will tilt 90 degrees if the center column is raised about 2-1/2" (With K-1ii and K-3).
12-07-2022, 08:19 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PKMike Quote

The Peak Design head will tilt 90 degrees if the center column is raised about 2-1/2" (With K-1ii and K-3).
Really? That's weird - several reviews mentioned it would only tilt less than that - they showed it tilted at an angle. I need to go look at one of the video reviews rather than just rely on the print ones but I don't like video reviews generally.

12-08-2022, 06:13 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Really? That's weird - several reviews mentioned it would only tilt less than that - they showed it tilted at an angle. I need to go look at one of the video reviews rather than just rely on the print ones but I don't like video reviews generally.
Inded it tilts to 90° without problem. See this page in my review

Peak Design Travel Tripod Review - Ballhead | PentaxForums.com Reviews

The one comment reviewers make is that because of the three lugs, balancing the camera backwards and forward with the head tilted to 90° is limited. The workwaround is to rotate the camera position by 90° (thanks to the square plate) if movement is limited in the direction you wish for.
12-08-2022, 06:27 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Inded it tilts to 90° without problem. See this page in my review

Peak Design Travel Tripod Review - Ballhead | PentaxForums.com Reviews

The one comment reviewers make is that because of the three lugs, balancing the camera backwards and forward with the head tilted to 90° is limited. The workwaround is to rotate the camera position by 90° (thanks to the square plate) if movement is limited in the direction you wish for.
Thank you for clarifying! It’s all very unclear in some other reviews.
12-08-2022, 06:58 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

++1 for peak design, though the peak design tripod head takes some getting used to - I had to”fix” mine with a benro head
Though after all that I find myself using the monopod + monopod gimbal more than the tripod lately

12-09-2022, 04:56 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rvandenbrink Quote
...Though after all that I find myself using the monopod + monopod gimbal more than the tripod lately
Which are you using, and for which lenses?
12-09-2022, 06:49 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Thank you for clarifying! It’s all very unclear in some other reviews.
A pleasure. I did find it hard to understand when doing my homework before writing the review.
12-09-2022, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have had a Fotopro X-GO Max for a few years and it has done fine by me. They are currently on sale at B&H for 50% off. Mostly I use it for a spotting scope, but it holds my cameras fine too.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1431698-REG/fotopro_x_go_max_tripod_k...981&
12-09-2022, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

I like my Sirui ET 1004 tripod. Mine is aluminum, but it comes in carbon fiber also. Light, sturdy, and not super expensive.
12-09-2022, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love my "lego" Novoflex Triopod modular system. The most lightweight setup I use - 924g in total:

• Short screw legs
• Minimalistic Novoflex Base with six 1/4" holes
• Small Novoflex ball head
• Small Arca Swiss compatible pano base plate (not Novoflex)

It's more stable one would guess. K-1 with a heavier lens? No problem.

I can exchange each part against another with other characteristics. Something for hunters and collectors.

In this shown configuration height around 1,10m. If I want it higher I screw in higher legs, use another more flexible and stronger base and / or ballhead ... - fitting the purpose.

Last edited by acoufap; 12-09-2022 at 10:54 AM.
12-09-2022, 08:57 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

I recently purchased an Oben CT-3565 Carbon Fiber Travel Tripod and BZ-217T Triple-Action Ball Head from B&H.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1412821-REG/oben_ct_3565_bz_217t_ct_3...981&

It comes with a carry case. Folded in the case its dimensions ar 45 x 12.5 x 12.5 cm. It weighs in at 1.45 kg.

Hope this helps.
12-10-2022, 04:57 AM - 3 Likes   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you all for the replies.

I decided to go for the Benro Induro Hydra 2. It looks like a great companion for the current time of the year, and my incoming trip to Scotland. It also costs much less than the PD carbon.

After the aforementioned trip, I will write a review and share my experience on the forum.

Cheers
12-10-2022, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Which are you using, and for which lenses?
It's a Manfroto monopod, which I put some pipe insulation on to save my shoulder. I picked the model with the flip-locks, because I truly hate using twist locks on anything. If I had to buy today I'd look seriously at the Benro monopods.

Added an Arca-swiss clamp, then the Wimberly Monopod Gimbal, which is an awesome piece of gear!
Normally what I have mounted on it is the Pentax 150-450mm lens with a KP for a body. (I'm considering a K3 miii after the recent firmware update, though I'll really miss the flip screen that I have on the KP)