Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2022, 07:43 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Travel friendly tripod recommendation

Hello everyone,

I'm currently looking for a new tripod. I have been using old aluminium Vanguard Alta pro, but that thing is just too cumbersome an annoying to carry. Not to mention the space it takes in the luggage.

So I'm now looking at the "travel" category of tripods. I'm aware that there will be some trade-off when it comes to stiffness and stability. I can accept it as long as it still allows me to get sharp long exposure shots up to light wind at the sea.

The parameters I'm looking for:
- packed size no bigger than 40-45 cm
- weight 2kg max
- 4 leg sections preferred over 5 (I don't think there are any 3-section travel tripods, but feel free to correct me)
- center column is unnecessary for me. If the tripod comes with one, it would be nice if it was removable and exchangeable with either flat platform or a shorter column
- Max height (without column) at around 1,3 m or more
- I already have a tripod head, so I don't need one to come with the new legs. Head mounting platform with 3/8 screw and around 60mm diameter preferable
- price point: anything cheaper than RRS will do

I will appreciate any help.

All the best

12-04-2022, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check out the Peak Design. Offered in aluminum or carbon fiber. Very compact and innovative. I think it meets your criteria except the preferred 4 sections over 5.The head is a bit unconventional and may take some getting used to (it did for me). I believe the company makes an adapter to change out head. I ended up keeping and using the original head because it is so compact and I use the available capture clip in conjunction. I think there is a review on this forum. I really like mine. Pretty sturdy for a travel tripod.
12-04-2022, 12:23 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are a lot that fit your needs. Look at Gitzo and Three Legged Thing as a start. Even Manfrotto has a few that fit your requirements. Sirui and Benro also have some.
12-04-2022, 01:06 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I second the Peak Design recommendation. Compact, but solid support.

12-04-2022, 01:34 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PKMike Quote
Check out the Peak Design. Offered in aluminum or carbon fiber. Very compact and innovative. I think it meets your criteria except the preferred 4 sections over 5.The head is a bit unconventional and may take some getting used to (it did for me). I believe the company makes an adapter to change out head. I ended up keeping and using the original head because it is so compact and I use the available capture clip in conjunction. I think there is a review on this forum. I really like mine. Pretty sturdy for a travel tripod.
Thanks for the recommendation. I have heard about this tripod, some people praise it, some say it's vastly overpriced. Well, it sure is pricey. In my country PD in carbon sells for more than Gitzo 2545 traveler. The aluminum one is cheaper of course, though still pricey. It also looks like I'll have to buy an adapter if I want to use my arca swiss head. It is however a very good option, I'm just not yet sure if I'm willing to drop that much money on it, and if I am, why not go for the Gitzo, which is an established brand with a lot of experience making tripods...

QuoteQuote:
There are a lot that fit your needs. Look at Gitzo and Three Legged Thing as a start. Even Manfrotto has a few that fit your requirements. Sirui and Benro also have some.
The Three Legged Thing tripods doesn't inspire confidence when I look at them, at least those travel-friendly ones. Not sure what to think about those multi-section center columns. The aesthetic also seems a bit tacky for my taste.

Manfrotto has Befree Xpro carbon, which seems ok, although it comes with a head that I don't need, and it sells for similar price to their carbon 055. Does anyone here have experience with Befree models? The 055 is well regarded, but that obviously isn't travel friendly.

One of my friends recommends Benro Induro series of tripods. Looking at the lineup, one seems to tick the right boxes, it's called Induro Hydra 2. It's marketed as waterproof, which is not exactly a feature I crave, but if it saves time on cleaning after a trip to the shore (or in the rain), then why not. Unfortunately it has 5 sections, but 15mm diameter for the last leg section isn't super bad. Any thoughts on this model - or a brand as a whole?
12-04-2022, 03:14 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
LS-225CEX - Leofoto

A lot of bang for your buck. I use the larger 284CEX and love it.
12-04-2022, 05:20 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
Hello everyone,

I'm currently looking for a new tripod. I have been using old aluminium Vanguard Alta pro, but that thing is just too cumbersome an annoying to carry. Not to mention the space it takes in the luggage.

So I'm now looking at the "travel" category of tripods. I'm aware that there will be some trade-off when it comes to stiffness and stability. I can accept it as long as it still allows me to get sharp long exposure shots up to light wind at the sea.

The parameters I'm looking for:
- packed size no bigger than 40-45 cm
- weight 2kg max
- 4 leg sections preferred over 5 (I don't think there are any 3-section travel tripods, but feel free to correct me)
- center column is unnecessary for me. If the tripod comes with one, it would be nice if it was removable and exchangeable with either flat platform or a shorter column
- Max height (without column) at around 1,3 m or more
- I already have a tripod head, so I don't need one to come with the new legs. Head mounting platform with 3/8 screw and around 60mm diameter preferable
- price point: anything cheaper than RRS will do

All the best
My Sirui T-1004SK T-S Aluminum Travel Tripod fits those requirement almost exactly, and came with a short center column, but it is no longer made. But I think they make others with nearly identical specs. I like the tripod, but I don't really care that much for the Sirui C-10S Ball Head I bought because the knobs are too small.

One of my friends recommends Benro Induro series of tripods. Looking at the lineup, one seems to tick the right boxes, it's called Induro Hydra 2. It's marketed as waterproof, which is not exactly a feature I crave, but if it saves time on cleaning after a trip to the shore (or in the rain), then why not. Unfortunately it has 5 sections, but 15mm diameter for the last leg section isn't super bad. Any thoughts on this model - or a brand as a whole?
I have an Induro non travel tripod that I bought thirteen years ago and is going strong. A few months ago I contacted the company about a part for the leg hinge, they said they were no longer made, but had a few used ones that they sent with no charge, and they worked fine. Mine is an extremely sturdy tripod and I've used the heck out of it.

That Induro Hydra 2 looks like an exceptional tripod, with a great weight capacity too. Five sections, but you don't have to use them all.

12-05-2022, 05:23 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Even the Peak Design fanboys are admitting that the Ulanzi tripod (which to be fair is "heavily inspired" by the Peak Design) is better in nearly every way. And much cheaper.
12-05-2022, 06:41 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I recognize the great value offered by brands like Leofoto and Ulanzi. However, those brands make blatant copies of products from other brands. Often improved in some way, but still. I'm not sure if I want to support such companies with my money.
12-05-2022, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

My experiences with various light tripods. I bought a MeFoto aluminum travel tripod last year. I use it with an Acratech ballhead and had good success with it. However, I never felt it was sturdy or secure as I hang my camera bag from the hook below the center column for a more steady set up. Total weight of body, lens and backpack is 10-14 lbs. depending on what I bring along.

I started researching for a new tripod that could handle the load better. I ended up buying a Sirui AM-284 a few months ago. It is carbon fiber and does not have a center column, making it more compact for travel. I bought the additional center column extension, just in case I needed more height. The tripod is rated at loads up to 33lbs. It is by far the best tripod I have ever used. I also have an old Giotto and a heavy duty carbon fiber Vanguard in addition to the MeFoto. I love the AM-284 and have used it for my outdoor landscape work. The tripod is as sturdy as my more expensive and much heavier Vanguard. Vanguard weighs over 6lbs., the AM-284 weighs 2.7lbs. I could have spent a lot more money buying a similar Gitzo or other more prestigious tripods but I doubt I would have had any better tripod than what I have in the Sirui AM-284.
12-06-2022, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I always take my Manfrotto MKBFRA4-BH Befree travel tripod with me. it's light and compact, only 40 cm closed and 1.4 Kg.
12-06-2022, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
LS-225CEX - Leofoto

A lot of bang for your buck. I use the larger 284CEX and love it.
I use a Leofoto LS-324C. It's a great tripod.
12-06-2022, 06:38 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

I've been using the Sirui T-025X for many years (check the review here Sirui T-025x Travel Tripod Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews). There is a newer, equivalent model.

Until I discovered, and reviewed, the Peak Design travbel tripod (review here Peak Design Travel Tripod Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews )

It's as sturdy as many bigger, non-travel tripods, so much so than unless I want to use a gimbal, I never reach out for any other tripod nowadays. It's plainly fantastic.

Vanguard does have a new, rather light and compact tripod also, pretty nice. Here A new travel tripod option - PentaxForums.com
12-06-2022, 12:35 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Feisol makes some nice travel tripods for a good price.
12-07-2022, 06:02 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This looks like a really interesting tripod: but it has a built in head like the peak design type. It is slightly different in multiple ways and some prefer this to the peak design irrespective of cost. I’m on the fence about it and may try one soon.

https://www.ulanzi.com/collections/tripod-2/products/ulanzi-f38-quick-releas...el-tripod-3131