Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2023, 11:59 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Someone had an idea similar to this at one time!
The Zenitar ME-1 lens, found on Zenit 18 cameras from the USSR, around 1980-87.

Attached Images

Last edited by yucatanPentax; 01-26-2023 at 12:07 AM.
01-26-2023, 12:24 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I had this same lens if I remember right, the square aperture caught my eyes, I believe it was simplicity with this design more than to serve other purpose.

---------- Post added 01-26-23 at 03:36 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mlag Quote
Use grinder or a laser cutter or similar on a round lens element
But keep in mind the lens center must remain in perfect center of rectangular & it is extra production step/cost.

I guess round lenses are more efficient in production for such things as polishing and shaping while the lens rotates....which probably yields a more perfect curvature in all directions. Note that similar techniques exist in woodwork to produce round elements like pilars...

When I read about problems of decentered lenses, I suppose alignment might be easier if you can rotate the lens in its holder/mount... with a rectangular lens there is degree of movement less. And round holders can be self aligning to match the center points better. Note that it is not only the lens, but also the tubes of the lens are using round screw/rotation when mounting. Try to imaging a mounting technique to stack rectangular tubes and lenses perfectly centered.

And you need to invent a new focus & zoom ring mechanism, because a rectangular helicoid mechanism is is hard to imagine.
Yes the lens won't be using conventional focusing/zooming mechanism but fly by wire via micro motors, no hand focus/zooming, and the lens will be rectangular not rounded, I know this is just an April fool joke too early ha !
01-26-2023, 07:29 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Someone had an idea similar to this at one time!
The Zenitar ME-1 lens, found on Zenit 18 cameras from the USSR, around 1980-87.
but that's more like a shield in between the glass optics to reduce internal reflections , glare?
a bit like the lens hood of the 21 mm limited?
01-26-2023, 10:43 AM   #34

Humm…

TLDR;

I can’t imagine doing fine focus adjustment, focusing or zooming with a square/rectangle lens barrel.
That’s not going to «*roll*» as easily (as a circle).

Not mentioning that the (front) rectangle lens might end up been in vertical position at some point.

01-26-2023, 02:44 PM - 2 Likes   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Apropos of this, I believe that it is possible to grow fruit and veg in almost any shape, simply by confining them in a container of the required dimensions. I have certainly seen images of square section cucumbers and bananas (and not on April 1, either !).
That's how they grow those Toblerone bars.
01-26-2023, 02:49 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mhoule418 Quote
TLDR;

I can’t imagine doing fine focus adjustment, focusing or zooming with a square/rectangle lens barrel.
That’s not going to «*roll*» as easily (as a circle).

Not mentioning that the (front) rectangle lens might end up been in vertical position at some point.
Good points!
01-27-2023, 12:42 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses guys, well I think I did not make myself clear enough so that some of you did not get my picture...
Let's put aside the complexity of the optical/mechanical design of such "system", to put it simple, the glasses of such lens DO NOT roll at all, they are driven by linear motor for focusing and zooming, so that only fly by wire control no manual adjustment by hand possible, all the element of the lens are molded or precisely cut and polished to the optical specification. If such a design can be done at reasonable cost, it would benefit to very wide frame format that normally requires a very large "rolling" lens and can save some material and cost. By saving cost I mean not during manufacturing as the cut out material can be reused, but we do not use the full glass area of a regular rounded lens and it got wasted but we paid for that "waste" !

Last edited by lotech; 01-27-2023 at 12:50 AM.
01-27-2023, 01:47 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Round lenses are simply the most cost effective way to achieve a workable lens, that's easily focused, with reasonable cost. It would be physically possible to make square, rectangular or other shaped lenses, but costs would go up astronomically, so finding buyers for such a thing may prove difficult.

I am reminded of Panavision lenses which are sometimes partly rectangular. They do cost a small fortune.
The rectangular matte box at the end of a round Panavision lens on a Panavision motion picture camera is used as an adjustable lens shade and filter holder.

Most Panavision lenses are round. Their anamorphic lenses from the 1950's and 60's, that were not round, were used specifically to take a wide angle and to squeeze it onto a frame so that it could later be projected via an anamorphic lens that had less distortion than a standard wide angle lens.

Indeed, lenses can be made any shape if cost and compatibility with existing technology was not a concern. But the circle has been used since the camera obscura and much of color technology (RGB) was developed based on nature's design of the human eye.
01-27-2023, 01:48 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mlag Quote
but that's more like a shield in between the glass optics to reduce internal reflections , glare?
a bit like the lens hood of the 21 mm limited?
A square is a square is a rectangle, but a rectangle may not be a square! \_O_/

---------- Post added 01-27-23 at 02:50 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
Thanks for the responses guys, well I think I did not make myself clear enough so that some of you did not get my picture...
Let's put aside the complexity of the optical/mechanical design of such "system", to put it simple, the glasses of such lens DO NOT roll at all, they are driven by linear motor for focusing and zooming, so that only fly by wire control no manual adjustment by hand possible, all the element of the lens are molded or precisely cut and polished to the optical specification. If such a design can be done at reasonable cost, it would benefit to very wide frame format that normally requires a very large "rolling" lens and can save some material and cost. By saving cost I mean not during manufacturing as the cut out material can be reused, but we do not use the full glass area of a regular rounded lens and it got wasted but we paid for that "waste" !
In all seriousness, I think it may be more economical to manufacture round lenses in the first place, making the rectangular ones the more costly to produce. We'd need to know which is the more prominent cost? Materials? Or lens manufacturing from the materials?
01-27-2023, 01:57 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
By saving cost I mean not during manufacturing as the cut out material can be reused, but we do not use the full glass area of a regular rounded lens and it got wasted but we paid for that "waste" !
The cost of materials on a lens is a sliver of the final price paid on a lens. What we are mostly paying for is the research and development, the cost of manufacturing which includes molds, labor, shipping of parts, machines, waste, the marketing and packaging, wholesale and retail profits, and taxes.

In the future when (and if) 3D printers are as common as microwave ovens, this may be a viable consideration.
01-27-2023, 04:06 AM   #41

https://cdn-7.nikon-cdn.com/Images/Learn-Explore/Camera-Technology/Mirrorles...on_EVF.low.jpg
01-27-2023, 11:49 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by romay Quote
Where especially the last lenses look like rounded ones, cut to fit in the narrow viewfinder...