Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
02-01-2023, 03:40 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
But if we give the KP a 2 stop advantage over the G9, the KP image - while retaining its color better - is noisier and has less detail:

Image comparison: Digital Photography Review

As far as the OM-1's "two stop high ISO advantage" claim, I think it turned out that was due to their new software's so-called AI noise reduction. A spurious claim by OMDS, IMO.
I don't know. When I look at the G9 image on the DP Review tool you linked to, the colors do look washed out to me. The noise isn't bad at all and I don't know that I would notice the colors if there wasn't the comparison to the KP there, but even though the KP has more noise, the colors look better.

02-01-2023, 06:24 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't know. When I look at the G9 image on the DP Review tool you linked to, the colors do look washed out to me. The noise isn't bad at all and I don't know that I would notice the colors if there wasn't the comparison to the KP there, but even though the KP has more noise, the colors look better.
Not that I have much understanding of optics at this level in the least, I think that color vs. noise tradeoff you see was ll's point.
02-01-2023, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I agree that the KP does a better job maintaining strong color - and this is with the KP pushed two stops more than the G9. But personally, in this sample I would rather deal with increasing the G9's saturation and keep the noise lower.

I'll note that shadow recovery is far from being the sole measure of dynamic range. The graphic I posted from Photons to Photos is a measurement of DR at each ISO, not S/N ratio.

My overall point in my initial post in this thread is that the G9 is not far behind most APS-C sensors in performance, and there are other considerations and features that would impact the decision-making process when choosing a body for landscape photography. I remember back in the pre-K-1 days how Pentax users (including myself) would point to features like IBIS and Pixel Shift as features that can mitigate the advantages of a larger sensor. If only for the sake of intellectual honesty, similar arguments can be applied to other brands, as well.

I think what the debate about sensors and features and all that shows is that when advising someone about purchasing into a camera system, there needs to be careful thought and questioning about what the new user hopes to accomplish in their photography, and pushing aside brand loyalties and confirmation bias in an effort to provide thoughtful advice.
02-01-2023, 11:33 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

Marketing have gone so far than they now don't know what to say to stir the emotional pot and catch attention. What's the point of finding the "worst camera of the year"? I would call this marketing of grand mother gossip at the hairdresser "have you heard the latest gossip about the worst camera of the year, it's a Pentax. Oh really?" This is now what consumer camera marketing looks like. We're getting further away from professionalism. I much prefer the marketing done for medium format, such as having the field engineers of Phase One, Hasselblad , Fuji or even Pentax 645 would take you through the possibilities of what the system can do , how it can be used for best results.

02-02-2023, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

As per the posting topic…,KF gets mentioned…there is no longer any logic on dpreview when it comes to Pentax products…or dslr’s. The k3iii still has no final review because….no specific reason. The KF was rated badly by dpreview and now the opposite. The video states that live view on dslr’s are not as good as mirrorless because….they are not as bright in sunlight. And that with a mirrorless in bright sunlight one can use the EVF instead of a dslr viewfinder. I enjoy Chris’s videos…but the logic is just not there. I mentioned it a long time ago but repeats mentioning again. When the K1 model came out and DPreview listed the best full frame models, which there were not many, they left out the K1 because it was not expensive enough to meet their threshold! LOL!
02-02-2023, 12:30 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VSTAR Quote
As per the posting topic…,KF gets mentioned…there is no longer any logic on dpreview when it comes to Pentax products…or dslr’s. The k3iii still has no final review because….no specific reason.
DPR stated last year that they simply did not have the bandwidth to fully review the K-3 III.

QuoteQuote:
The KF was rated badly by dpreview and now the opposite.
DPR did not "review" the KF. Chris & Jordan did say they were disappointed in the fact that it is essentially a K-70 rehash, but having such a new name would typically imply a greater change.

DPR, in their preview of the OM System OM-5, expressed similar disappointment that despite the name change, the camera was merely its predecessor with a few new features.

QuoteQuote:
The video states that live view on dslr’s are not as good as mirrorless because….they are not as bright in sunlight. And that with a mirrorless in bright sunlight one can use the EVF instead of a dslr viewfinder. I enjoy Chris’s videos…but the logic is just not there
The video states that the advantage of MILC for landscape - from their perspective - is "Live Preview". In other words, you can see the exposure and histogram on the rear LCD. DSLR's can do this, too. However, when the sunlight is making the LCD to difficult to view, MILC users can have the same "Live Preview" experience by looking through the EVF, which DSLR's do not provide.
02-03-2023, 12:43 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

Was hoping K1 gets a mention for the price, performance, landscape features and usability in the field.

I feel that there is a over emphasis on the specs.
Even though I have a faster more accurate AF A7iii, it really does not handle as smoothly in the field shooting landscapes, especially in the dark hours before sunrise and just after sunset.

---------- Post added 02-03-2023 at 03:53 PM ----------

The video states that the advantage of MILC for landscape - from their perspective - is "Live Preview". In other words, you can see the exposure and histogram on the rear LCD. DSLR's can do this, too. However, when the sunlight is making the LCD to difficult to view, MILC users can have the same "Live Preview" experience by looking through the EVF, which DSLR's do not provide.
I actually have some issues with what was claimed in that video.

Practically, the LCD is usually only used in odd (often low ) angles and/or mounted on a tripod.
If the light is good, usually the tripod is not used (unless its a long exposure shot)
When the light is good, there is less often the need to gauge exposure with LV.
Its really very fast to snap a ISO100, f8, 1/250 shot and check exposure on review (and snap again for desired exposure )
So the "LCD is not as good when sunlight is up" argument don't really hold strongly (in good light)

Low angles, then EVF or OVF is the same since the shooter is limited on how low he/she wants to lie on the ground to use them.

When its long exposure (often in lower light), then yes, one does not want to reshoot too much to check/gauge exposure and thats where LV with histogram and highlights/shadows indicators come in really handy.
But then the absence of very bright sunlight makes using LV straightforward.

02-03-2023, 07:17 AM   #23
Pentaxian

The K-1 used to get an honourable mention from DPR for landscape because it's well-built, weather sealed and has a great tiltable screen. Perhaps there are now too many other mirrorless models available now or they have lowered the maximum weight they're prepared to consider for lugging around.
02-03-2023, 09:42 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I actually have some issues with what was claimed in that video.

Practically, the LCD is usually only used in odd (often low ) angles and/or mounted on a tripod.
If the light is good, usually the tripod is not used (unless its a long exposure shot)
When the light is good, there is less often the need to gauge exposure with LV.
Its really very fast to snap a ISO100, f8, 1/250 shot and check exposure on review (and snap again for desired exposure )
So the "LCD is not as good when sunlight is up" argument don't really hold strongly (in good light)

Low angles, then EVF or OVF is the same since the shooter is limited on how low he/she wants to lie on the ground to use them.

When its long exposure (often in lower light), then yes, one does not want to reshoot too much to check/gauge exposure and thats where LV with histogram and highlights/shadows indicators come in really handy.
But then the absence of very bright sunlight makes using LV straightforward.
Yeah, I think that was a load of BS by DPRTV to justify restricting their recommendations to mirrorless.
02-03-2023, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

DPR stated last year that they simply did not have the bandwidth to fully review the K-3 III.DPR did not "review" the KF. Chris & Jordan did say they were disappointed in the fact that it is essentially a K-70 rehash, but having such a new name would typically imply a greater change.
I have nothing against the dpreview site….but please do not state that they could not review the k3iii because of not enough “bandwidth”. They did not review it because they decided not to review it.

The KF was for all purposes “reviewed” by them in their video. No one expects anything else.
DPReview TV: Pentax KF announcement reactions: Digital Photography Review
02-03-2023, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have nothing against the dpreview site….but please do not state that they could not review the k3iii because of not enough “bandwidth”. They did not review it because they decided not to review it.

The KF was for all purposes “reviewed” by them in their video. No one expects anything else.
DPReview TV: Pentax KF announcement reactions: Digital Photography Review
DPR themselves (Richard Butler, IIRC) stated that they did not have the bandwidth to review the K-3 III. Whether you believe him or not is up to you, but I am conveying the factual information. DPR also neglected to review cameras from Canon and Olympus during the year.

Also note that a number of their reviews over the last couple of years have simply been DPRTV reviews.

DPR has also stated that they did not receive a camera from Ricoh for the review, but Chris and Jordan were able to borrow one from The Camera Store for their (fairly positive) video review.

DPR also featured a K-3 III promo video:

I think it is important to keep our comments accurate and within context when criticizing someone/something.

Last edited by luftfluss; 02-03-2023 at 12:32 PM.
02-04-2023, 05:02 PM   #27
Veteran Member

DPR themselves (Richard Butler, IIRC) stated that they did not have the bandwidth to review the K-3 III. Whether you believe him or not is up to you, but I am conveying the factual information. DPR also neglected to review cameras from Canon and Olympus during the year.

Also note that a number of their reviews over the last couple of years have simply been DPRTV reviews.

DPR has also stated that they did not receive a camera from Ricoh for the review, but Chris and Jordan were able to borrow one from The Camera Store for their (fairly positive) video review.

https://youtu.be/UpDDp3QEF34

DPR also featured a K-3 III promo video:

https://youtu.be/n68jbJk6STQ

I think it is important to keep our comments accurate and within context when criticizing someone/something.
Which flagship cameras from manufacturers have not been reviewed by dpreview? And from companies that release a camera maybe every ..,,5 years. Dpreview may not review every canon camera but they review a lot of canon cameras. Even a Nikon P1000 gets a full review. I do not know why Pentax reviews are far and wide on dpreview but it is a fact there are few in depth reviews. As far as the KF is concerned, it may not be a desirable camera by most dslr users, I would not know the exact answer to it, but the first 60 seconds of the dpreview video says it all. Thank goodness the internet has sites that do review Pentax cameras in depth in order to assist users with an informative review before making a purchase and thanks to the users of this forum there is lots of information. I will just leave it at that.
02-04-2023, 05:47 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Which flagship cameras from manufacturers have not been reviewed by dpreview?
Canon EOS R3, Canon's flagship for action/sports/journalism. Not even a video review.

QuoteQuote:
And from companies that release a camera maybe every ..,,5 years. Dpreview may not review every canon camera but they review a lot of canon cameras.
I agree that given the rarity of Pentax new releases, DPReview should do a full review. Pentax reviews generate a decent amount of clicks, which of course means advertiser dollars. And especially with Pentax being the only mainstream DSLR maker. IMO DPR is doing the photographic community a disservice by not doing a full review.

QuoteQuote:
Even a Nikon P1000 gets a full review.
In all fairness, the P1000 has proven so popular that it has sold out multiple times since its introduction.

QuoteQuote:
I do not know why Pentax reviews are far and wide on dpreview but it is a fact there are few in depth reviews. As far as the KF is concerned, it may not be a desirable camera by most dslr users, I would not know the exact answer to it, but the first 60 seconds of the dpreview video says it all. Thank goodness the internet has sites that do review Pentax cameras in depth in order to assist users with an informative review before making a purchase and thanks to the users of this forum there is lots of information. I will just leave it at that.
Spec sheets and Pentax Forums are enough for me.