Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 59 Likes Search this Thread
02-05-2023, 05:35 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Norm,
Sorry this has happened, I to have been forced into Photos, kicking and screaming, but my last computer that would support iPhotos and Aperture died on me, and no going back on OSX when you buy new hardware. I'm totally sympathetic, I've not been using iCloud, my images and Photos Library are on an external hard drive, backed up to separate external hard drive using Time Machine. So, my set up may look different than what you have.

Some thoughts, Hopefully helpful, Maybe you have already looked/tried this:
The Photos app is really just a viewer/editor for a database, the actual files and originals should be buried/hidden in a file that Apple does not want you messing with, as it can corrupt the DB if you start moving things around.

In Photos Preferences/General, there is a link to the "Library Location" and a button "Show in Finder" if you click that it takes you to the your actual Photos DB file.
You need to Right-Click or Control-Click on that file to get a dialog that lets you "Show Package Contents" This then opens up a standard drive menu, which you can see a lot of files and folders. One folder is called "Originals" it has many sub folders in it, and should have all your original downloaded image files in it. Unfortunately, At least in mine, they are all renamed and inscrutably organized, so it becomes a wild snipe hunt to find an individual image. It's not convenient, but at least you should still have your original images locally.

iPhoto had a method to right click on an image in it, and go to the original, in the file directory, I'm not finding an equal in Photos, but Photos still has a way to export the original (File->Export->Export Unmodified Original), which loses any edits you made to it, but seems to be the original RAW file, with EXIF intact, when I do it. Perhaps this will work to get back to your RAW files with correct EXIF. It does lose all your edits to an image though.

I'm frustrated with many things in Photos, I don't care for the editing tools interface, I don't like that it only reports the FF converted focal lengths, in the image info; too much iOS influence in it, but like you, I feel like I paid for it with the hardware, and don't use enough bells and whistles of the Adobe products to justify their subscription, and associated annoyance.
Hoping this is somewhat useful to you, I know it's not the solution you need or are looking for.

Last edited by K-Three; 02-05-2023 at 05:42 PM.
02-05-2023, 07:00 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Has anyone yet tried the "M discs" on blue ray burners - they have a quite extraordinary claim of 100s of years durability.I have bought some but haven't got around to archiving with them.
Is anyone got a blue ray reader that is guaranteed for a 100 (or more) years? Will anyone still be making or selling blue ray drives in 100 years?
I don't have answers, just questions.
This thread highlights some real issues that I hadn't considered. I live in fear of having to move from Lightroom 5 - and transfer all the processing. Best not to think about it.
02-05-2023, 08:15 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Has anyone yet tried the "M discs" on blue ray burners - they have a quite extraordinary claim of 100s of years durability.
No, but according to Wikipedia, NIST " stated that M-Disc is an acceptable archival format rated for up to 100 years+."

BD-R has a maximum capacity of 50GB; ten years ago that was decent, not so impressive today as it takes 80 discs to hold the same data as a 4GB hard drive. The other issue is ensuring that you still have a working BD-ROM drive twenty years from now when you want to dig into your photo archives. I can't remember all the different removable storage devices that I have used since 1991 that are no longer functioning, but I think there are more than 5 and I didn't use all of the devices that have been on the market over the past three decades. At some point, we need to go through our archived digital images, select the ones that are worth printing on quality photographic paper, store those prints appropriately and let the rest of the images fade into obsolescence because it is virtually certain that the effort required to keep obsolescence at bay will never be worth it. If we don't live past that point, it is pretty unlikely our estate will be willing to make that effort, either.
02-05-2023, 08:25 PM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't understand how this has all happened. I use iCloud constantly. My files do not get changed. They simply get stored.

iCloud is not back-up storage; it works as an extension of your existing disc storage. It also acts across all your Apple products which have the same account number, giving you a common storage. For example, I save to my MacBook laptop and I can access from my iMac desktop machine or my iPad. I delete an iCloud file from my iMac and it is deleted. It is no longer available anywhere. All very convenient. Each file shows up on each device as though it is on that device. It is a very transparent process.

But I agree with the advice of others. Get yourself a 1TB ssd for about $100 US (2TB of approx $180). Get your photos downloaded and keep all your work on your own drives.

02-05-2023, 08:47 PM - 2 Likes   #35
Closed Account

I was an Apple fan boy for years. However, it came to the point that I decided that their priority ways and charging a premium for it was too much. I always knew Windows was a disaster. When my Uncle introduced me to Linux, it was like an epiphany came over me. Linux brings with it the same rock solid operating system and resistance to viruses that Mac OS X has (OS X is Unix and very much related to Linux), but is free and runs on quite affordable P.C. hardware. Some of the things Apple is doing today, I just shake my head - like selling computers where you can't upgrade the innards. I see, fairly recently, where class action lawsuits and European governments threatened legal actions against Apple if users, and local repair shops, couldn't be allowed to easily fix their devices themselves - whollah and Apple now offers do it yourself repair kits for their phones, etc....

Of course, converting oneself to Linux brings a price, but within the past few years, users have began to enjoy plug and play peripherals that previously only Windows and Mac enjoyed. Companies like HP have put their weight behind making it easy for Linux users to buy their devices (printers, etc...), plug them in, and they simply work. Being a Linux user is easier and easier as time progresses. Open source/free software like Gimp, Darktable, and Raw Therapee have even made it easier for photographers to make the jump to Linux. I could go on and on about my transition to being a 100% Linux user, but I won't (unless provoked, LOL)...

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 02-05-2023 at 09:00 PM.
02-05-2023, 10:44 PM   #36
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Grimmus Quote
Is anyone got a blue ray reader that is guaranteed for a 100 (or more) years? Will anyone still be making or selling blue ray drives in 100 years?
We still have wax cylinder playing devices and if we didn't someone would soon make one.
Apparently the Mdiscs will play on a standard DVD player not that that would satisfy you.
Given the number of discs out there I would be surprised if the capability to read them would disappear. Maybe the future one will be a solid state device that reads the entire track simultaneously with the capability of bypassing damaged sectors.
02-05-2023, 11:02 PM   #37
Closed Account

We still have wax cylinder playing devices and if we didn't someone would soon make one.
Apparently the Mdiscs will play on a standard DVD player not that that would satisfy you.
Given the number of discs out there I would be surprised if the capability to read them would disappear. Maybe the future one will be a solid state device that reads the entire track simultaneously with the capability of bypassing damaged sectors.
Some retro and analog things are coming back, like vinyl records and film photography. However, other retro things are gone and likely gone for good, like: 8 track tapes and Betamax sized video tapes. I use to be an avid Atari 800 computer user. I'm informed that there are still a handful of companies (heck maybe just 1 or 2) that still make 5 and 1/4 inch disks. I emulate things like old computers and old video game consoles - I like to emulate Super Nintendo and Playstation 1 game consoles (as well as emulate Atari 800 "stuff")....

02-06-2023, 12:15 AM - 1 Like   #38
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BWG Quote
There is no such thing as “Cloud Storage.” There is only storage on someone else’s hard drive.
Many different harddrives in fact. All encrypted and not even kept in the same place. And, that 'someone' usually looks after my backups better than I can, complete with much better cyber security that I can buy and much better physical security that I can buy. Even if someone (else) was able to get hold of one of those harddrives, they'd still not be able to access my files because the data set needed to access those files are not stored with the files. It really is an ingenious system. I'm amazed that Microsoft provides the service it does, so cheaply as it does.

The key here is that it should be used as a backup and not the only location that the data is stored. Cloud storage allows me to access my files anywhere even if I should lose access to my primary computer or should there be a catastrophic failure such as the house burning down and at the same time my local backup location burns down and the harddrives do not survive the fire(s).

At the same time, cloud storage means that, should my primary computer be stolen, I can wipe it's contents remotely without the consideration that I may lose data and I can, within a few hours or so, be up and running again with a completely new computer, which looks identical to my old computer in every way, including messy desktop, yet with every file and every bit of software and customization preserved.

"The cloud" also allows me to conduct my business anywhere in the world. I've been on a boat in the middle of a lake and I've been able to produce invoices, send statements and receive and make payments or file my GST returns. Likewise, when my dad was dying, I was able to carry on working while transiting through various airports while en route and back from literally the other side of the earth.

As you may realize, I'm a cloud computing and storage convert.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 02-06-2023 at 12:27 AM.
02-06-2023, 12:16 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm so sorry you're having these problems. It's entirely frustrating and hopeless feeling to not be able to control your own files. Due to a vaguely similar issue years ago with my own CDs ripped to music files and stored on an iPhone, we left the entire Apple ecosystem and have managed everything with Windows and Android very successfully. Every original file is original and unchanged.

While there's a bit to learn with MS there's a great deal more control and flexibility. We avoid any cloud storage at all in our household. I direct my files to the folders I want and buy backup drives. This isn't as neat if I'm not careful. I'm not generally a great organizer, but this process encourages me to focus on at least some type of organization.

I also use only locally installed Lightroom and Elements Photoshop for similar reasons. I don't want to run something out of "the cloud" and all that silliness. "The cloud" is only a short-hand way of saying "give your stuff to us." Nope.
02-06-2023, 12:48 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will not rant on Apple, though after too much contact with it at work I realized that there is nothing premium in it save packaging and never used one privately. That said, Google and Microsoft are not better, and while Linux is in terms of system quality, it lacks severely in terms of software so in the end you can only choose poison that will kill you.

As for you problem, I am not entirely sure how Apple access works, but is it not possible to ask someone with fast internet access to download your files? MS OneDrive you can access from any device as long as you provide proper authorization and I think there is iCloud version for Windows so maybe someone around you can help?
02-06-2023, 01:08 AM   #41
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
I will not rant on Apple, though after too much contact with it at work I realized that there is nothing premium in it save packaging and never used one privately. That said, Google and Microsoft are not better, and while Linux is in terms of system quality, it lacks severely in terms of software so in the end you can only choose poison that will kill you.

As for you problem, I am not entirely sure how Apple access works, but is it not possible to ask someone with fast internet access to download your files? MS OneDrive you can access from any device as long as you provide proper authorization and I think there is iCloud version for Windows so maybe someone around you can help?

After using Windows and Mac, as most have, for many many years, my switch to Linux has not resulted in a severe lacking of software. Just with photography alone, I have Gimp, Darktable, & RawTherapee. There are many others. But quite frankly, the only one I ever use is Gimp to adjust the levels of my photos. Since switching to Linux, personally, I haven't found a single thing I can't do with it that I need to do. I've actually found it a freeing and liberating experience. The only thing I pay for is a Flickr account and a VPN service....

Last edited by Michael Piziak; 02-06-2023 at 01:14 AM.
02-06-2023, 01:21 AM   #42
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Piziak Quote
After using Windows and Mac, as most have, for many many years, my switch to Linux has not resulted in a severe lacking of software. Just with photography alone, I have Gimp, Darktable, & RawTherapee. There are many others. But quite frankly, the only one I ever use is Gimp to adjust the levels of my photos. Since switching to Linux, personally, I haven't found a single thing I can't do with it that I need to do. I've actually found it a freeing and liberating experience. The only thing I pay for is a Flickr account and a VPN service....
Plus one on that.
The only weakness was (and possibly still is) Canon A3 printer drivers with the appropriate level of control. Still using a virtual xp os on virtual box for that purpose - works great.
Gimp is brilliant So is Darktable, Digikam and Rawtherapee. Hugin for stitches is amazing.
The only thing I never have much success with is stacking but I am happy to blame myself!
02-06-2023, 01:52 AM - 1 Like   #43
Closed Account

Plus one on that.
The only weakness was (and possibly still is) Canon A3 printer drivers with the appropriate level of control. Still using a virtual xp os on virtual box for that purpose - works great.
Gimp is brilliant So is Darktable, Digikam and Rawtherapee. Hugin for stitches is amazing.
The only thing I never have much success with is stacking but I am happy to blame myself!
Yep. Are you a Linux user also?

Anyone getting into switching to Linux needs to understand that they will have to do more behind the scenes work than with Windows of Mac operating systems. This was much more the case years back. Now, I'm happy to say that many companies offer drivers and other support for Linux. I don't know much about Canon's support for Linux, but I know that HP has supported it fairly heavily for many years, so I have awarded HP in buying their Laserjet printers and Scanners when I go to purchase peripherals. Besides being free and using a fraction of hard drive and memory space on a computer, there exists a robust Linux community that is more than willing to help beginners and other users to get their systems working. Linuxquestions.org and Ubuntu forums have helped me solve a many an issue... But my favorite part about Linux is one can buy a $150 computer, install Linux on it, and it runs just as fast or faster than a new computer running the latest version of MS Windows - gone are the days of buying a $1200 plus Mac. I haven't purchased a new computer in 15 years or so...
02-06-2023, 02:01 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do use Linux, both for processional work (Ubuntu) and on my private computers (OpenSuse). Even play games on Linux (Steam Proton is working pretty good). But I will still say that Linux lack good software.
02-06-2023, 02:10 AM - 1 Like   #45
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
But I will still say that Linux lack good software.
I think your and my definition of good may be different.