Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2023, 04:49 AM - 3 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery
ChatGPT fun: How to use Astrotracer in K-1

Just testing out ChatGPT knowledge on Pentax.

02-07-2023, 05:53 AM   #2
pid
Pentaxian

cool, er kennt Pentax ;-)
02-07-2023, 05:54 AM - 21 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yep, typical ChatGPT output: sounds authoritative, is mostly correct, but also is riddled with errors, half-truths, and missing items.

The central problem is that ChatGPT was trained from a huge body of text pulled from the internet and mimics the patterns of writings of people on the internet. Unfortunately people on the internet: sound authoritative, are mostly correct, but also are riddled with errors, half-truths, and missing items.

GIGO.
02-07-2023, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It got the last paragraph right.

02-07-2023, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by superpowerpinger Quote
Just testing out ChatGPT knowledge on Pentax.

FYI, I have moved this thread to "general photography" as it's neither Pentax News nor Pentax Rumors

Carry on...
02-07-2023, 09:41 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not having ever used Astrotracer - nor ChatGPT for that matter - what has ChatGPT gotten wrong?
02-07-2023, 12:26 PM - 4 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Not having ever used Astrotracer - nor ChatGPT for that matter - what has ChatGPT gotten wrong?
What it got right is a shorter list.....
1. Need to select B mode
2. Astrotracer menu is not in Custom Menu in either K-3 or KP
5. "proper exposure" is a bit short of useful guidance for night shots
Helpfully has overlooked any Astrotracer calibration steps.
Possibly a follow up question to ask how it proposes an alignment with the celestial pole - this is nonsense! (got itself mixed up with a tracking mount it seems)

I can see why they call it artificial intelligence, it's well short of real intelligence!

02-07-2023, 03:15 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good point, luftfluss, if anyone pulls up this thread hoping to get some info on the Astrotracer function.

It failed to mention the 3-axis rotational calibration you usually need to do (and the fine calibration you sometimes need to do). The first thing you need to do is put your camera on a steady mount (which can be as simple as placing it on the ground) and turn on the GPS, giving it time to lock. Enter bulb mode as mentioned. Then go to the Compass screen using the "info" button or the settings 2 menu. This is where you'll calibrate if needed (oops, might have to take your camera off the mount). Lastly, turn on Astrotracer mode. No pole alignment is required which is one beauty of the Astrotracer feature.

As mentioned, exposure is important and not described in any detail. It will depend on the object you're trying to capture, and the ISO you select (ISO is a whole other subject). Your lens will determine the lowest f-stop you can use (though a tad closed down might be better), and the time you can keep the shutter open will depend on the focal length of the lens (the longer, the less time you have since the sensor can slew only so far). Even with all this, ultra-wide lenses can have peripheral tracking errors since the sensor motion is only capable of good tracking over a certain angular field.

All in all, it's a great feature to have and works good with some caveats, but I prefer a tracking mount if it's practical. In some cases, a tracking mount is not practical and then the Astrotracer feature comes to the rescue.

There are some great shots available taken by members of this forum using Astrotracer, though many also incorporate multiple exposures and post processing to get the best results.

Last edited by Bob 256; 02-07-2023 at 03:37 PM.
02-07-2023, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #9
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Will it learn from it's own stuff posted to the web and consider it as valuable input?
02-07-2023, 11:56 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Yep, typical ChatGPT output: sounds authoritative, is mostly correct, but also is riddled with errors, half-truths, and missing items.
I see not problem to replace managers by AI software, as in most cases AI would make less mistakes and would be a lot cheaper.
02-08-2023, 02:23 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
If being nitpicky you can probably find something wrong in every step. And the order to do thing seems be out of order.

1. Why switch on the camera before you have attached a lens? And incorrect exposure mode for Astrotracer.
2. You will not find Astrotracer in custom settings.
3. It forgot to mention you need to mount the lens on the camera.
4. You adjust focus on lens not on the camera.
5. How do you set proper exposure for Astrotracer?
6. It is difficult to take a Astrotracer test shot before GPS has been switched on.
7. Switching on GPS is better to do earlier on as it may take minutes before GPS have locked position.
8. Wow, may actually be a correct instruction.

But the main problem with the instruction is too brief to be of any help for anyone that ask the question "How to use Astrotracer in K-1".

The only really useful in the guide are the last words. "...seek assistance from a qualified photographer for detailed instruction and best practices"
02-08-2023, 03:41 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote

The central problem is that ChatGPT was trained from a huge body of text pulled from the internet and mimics the patterns of writings of people on the internet. Unfortunately people on the internet: sound authoritative, are mostly correct, but also are riddled with errors, half-truths, and missing items.

GIGO.
I have always wondered about the trope that AIs will get smart simply by "reading the internet." The internet is so full of random and even contradictory information that it is hard to know how a computer can sort out what is true and what isn't.

I have experimented with ChatGPT and it really seems more like a toy than a tool. That said, I imagine there will be plenty of college students who use it to try to write papers for their classes. While ChatGPT isn't a great writer, it can still generate material that at least matches the level of most college freshmen.
02-08-2023, 09:04 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
While ChatGPT isn't a great writer, it can still generate material that at least matches the level of most college freshmen.
Maybe. When I was a grad teaching assistant, I was continually astonished at the number of college upperclassmen (not freshmen, mind) who could not read or write the English language.
02-08-2023, 11:29 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Maybe. When I was a grad teaching assistant, I was continually astonished at the number of college upperclassmen (not freshmen, mind) who could not read or write the English language.
True. Grammarly has a plagiarism detector and I wonder if they won't add an AI detector at some point to identify papers that have been written using some sort of online assistance.

The issue really isn't whether a student can (on a good day) write better than the AI. The question is if they can get a decent grade without trying and if they think they can get away with it, I'm sure they'd far rather let ChatGPT do their paper on the economics of 18th century Prussia than invest the effort to do it themselves.

---------- Post added 02-08-23 at 01:32 PM ----------

You all probably saw, but Chat GPT passed law and business exams. You would think it would wonderfully, but it just got a C+ on the bar exam and B- on the business exam from the Wharton School of Business.

Part of the problem is that humans know when they are unsure of an answer and will attempt to look up the information, while the AI is always immensely sure of itself, even when it is dead wrong.

ChatGPT passes exams from law and business schools | CNN Business
02-08-2023, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
True. Grammarly has a plagiarism detector and I wonder if they won't add an AI detector at some point to identify papers that have been written using some sort of online assistance.

The issue really isn't whether a student can (on a good day) write better than the AI. The question is if they can get a decent grade without trying and if they think they can get away with it, I'm sure they'd far rather let ChatGPT do their paper on the economics of 18th century Prussia than invest the effort to do it themselves.
Well, it was completely obvious if a paper was originally written or plagiarized...if I could tell, then Grammarly probably didn't have much trouble producing a detector. I suspect that an AI-generated paper would be detectable, too. If you read enough of them, you know what they look like. You're right on the "get away with it" score. I recall a couple of phone calls with athletic department personnel begging me not to report certain players' plagiarized assignment papers. They didn't "get away with it", we required that they do the assignment themselves or the plagiarism would definitely be reported.