Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
02-08-2023, 07:16 PM - 7 Likes   #1

Found an old manual lens. Pleasantly surprised.

I was looking through the local bargain sheet, and came across a Pentax mount Vivitar 80-200 f4.5 zoom lens for sale for $25. Seller said it was never used and never even out of the box. Since he was only a few minutes away, I contacted him and we met. He told me that he got the lens from
his aunts estate. I took a look at it, and believed what he was saying. The lens is in the original box, in the original plastic, with
all of the original paperwork. The lens looked to be in perfect shape. There wasnt a single spec of dust on it. Absolutely no signs of wear or use. Glass looks perfect, with not so much as the slightest smudge or sign of cleaning. I figured what the heck, its only $25, so I bought it and took it home.

I've attached some photos of the lens, box, and paperwork. I cant find a date anywhere, so I have no idea when it was made. It has a price sticker
from Montgomery Ward for $179.99. I have no idea what that translates to in todays dollars, but it seems like it was a pretty expensive lens back then.
If anyone knows what it would be in todays dollars, please let me know.

When I got home, I put it on my K-5 iis. The zoom and focus operate like butter, with absolutely no slop of any kind.
I took a couple of quick shots and was immediately surprised by its sharpness.

I included a shot of a drapery, with both the Vivitar lens, and my SMC Pentax DA 55-300 lens set to around 190 (thought I had it set to 200).
The Vivitar zoom was set to 200, wide open at f4.5, and manual focus. I used the green button for proper exposure. (Vivitar-Drapes)
The Pentax lens was used with all automatic settings and autofocus.(Pentax-Drapes)
Both photos were take from the same place, about thirty feet way from the drapes, handheld, using flash. Room lights were also on.

After I took the shots, I used Photoshop to zoom into an embriodered decoration on the curtains using each image to make a crop.
No sharpening functions were used.
The crops were saved as(Vivitar-Drapes-Close), and (Pentax-Drapes-Close)

You can see how much more detail is available in the Vivitar image, and the amazing sharpness compared to the Pentax lens.
I had no idea the K-5 iis was capable of so much more than what I was getting before with the SMC lenses.

Overall I am very pleased, and I cant wait to go out and take some outdoor photos.

Note: I did not go into the camera menu and change the focal length of the manual lens, so it is still set at 50, which is the last manual lens I used.
I really dont know it that makes a difference or not.

List of attached photos in order:
Lens.jpg
Lens-Plastic.jpg
Box Top.jpg
Box Side.jpg
Paperwork.jpg
Pentax-Drapes.jpg
Vivitar-Drapes.jpg
Pentax-Drapes-Close.jpg
Vivitar-Drapes-Close.jpg

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
02-08-2023, 07:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a lovely find! Enjoy your "new" lens!
02-08-2023, 08:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeryst Quote
I really dont know it that makes a difference or not.
Changing the focal lenght is beneficial to tell your manual lenses apart by looking at the exif data; for zooms I usually insert the focal length on the wide end.

It is also important for the shake reduction (SR) system in the camera to work properly. Changing focal lenght manually every time you zoom in or out isn't practical, therefore 3 approaches are common: inserting FL of the wide end, the long end or somewhere in the middle. SR isn't working as effective when the focal lenght of the lens doesn't match the chosen FL in the camera (and when the actual FL is wider than the chosen FL, the system is overreacting, which can increase motion blur in the image)

Enjoy your new lens
02-08-2023, 09:55 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The Pentax 55-300 pictures seem slightly out of focus.

02-09-2023, 01:10 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's quite a find! Great purchase. That particular lens isn't listed in the PF Vivitar lens reviews yet, so if you decide to create an entry and review, others would likely appreciate it.

From memory, those lenses (generally speaking) were from the early to mid-1980s. I don't know a specific date for that exact model. A price of $179.99 comes out to $566.50 today in the BLS CPI inflation calculator, using 1982 as a starting year. I know I wanted something like it at the time and couldn't afford it. My monthly car payment on a new Chevy was less than $180 at back then (I think it was around $126, which seems impossible today, but it was a 1980 purchase).

There were apparently two Komine versions. The first had a 62mm filter thread. Yours appears to be the second version (newer) with a 58mm filter thread. I found a page that verified my guess of "early 1980s" for the age, with some example images. You can confirm if yours is a Komine lens if the serial number begins with "28" like "28xxxxxx"

The other variations at that 80-200mm focal length and a constant F4.5 were: 22xxxx Kino/Kiron with a 55mm filter thread and 77xxxx Kobori (sometimes labeled and sold as "Kobinon" lenses), also 55mm filters. These variations were labeled "macro", while Komine wasn't.

Vivitar was a business name. They didn't actually make the lenses, but they bought designs from major lens makers like Kiron/Kino, Kobori, and Komine, among others. They were well respected at the time. Their Series 1 lenses were among the better lenses that could be found (although often larger and heavier than camera brand lenses). As you can see from your trial photos, Vivitar lenses can produce good results.

Here's another article singing the praises of this lens design, with example photos.
02-09-2023, 01:26 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Vivitar was a business name. They didn't actually make the lenses, but they bought designs from major lens makers like Kiron/Kino, Kobori, and Komine, among others. They were well respected at the time. Their Series 1 lenses were among the better lenses that could be found (although often larger and heavier than camera brand lenses). As you can see from your trial photos, Vivitar lenses can produce good results.

Here's another article singing the praises of this lens design, with example photos.
Vivitar didn't make the lenses but if you go by what people who worked there say, they actually submitted designs to the manufacturers. Their Vivitar Series 1 lenses, up until the early 90s I think, are supposed to be their optical designs. They had an optical team up to a certain point. I think early on (and this lens might be from that era) quite a few of their lenses were designed by them.
02-10-2023, 03:21 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had the Vivitar Series I 70-210 F3.5 for Canon FD with similar design...