Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2023, 04:01 AM   #1

Facebook/Instagram etc export size?

Hey.

Has someone figured out best settings for image export?
Uploaded some pics today and those got compressed hard, there is so much different info on the web that its confusing.

For example on facebook:
1. 2048px wide edge
2. 1200x630px size (with this i have seen best results so far but that limits my cropping to 1,91x1 ratio)

03-04-2023, 05:13 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I find FB will downsize images to 2048 on the wide side for a landscape crop. That is fine for me as there is no need to post larger sizes to the internet. The bigger issue is that FB strips the EXIF, including colour profile.

FB and IG are not serious photo hosting sites. If you want that you should try something like Flickr.
03-04-2023, 06:04 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used Microsoft OneDrive for a long while - because I had a subscription to Office 365, I got 5 TB of storage free. But I find Flickr Pro, while not free, is not a huge expense, spread over a year, and is a much more flexible way for storing, organising and sharing my images. And it will display EXIF data, and allows quite large image sizes.
03-04-2023, 06:17 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asynergy Quote
Hey.

Has someone figured out best settings for image export?
Uploaded some pics today and those got compressed hard, there is so much different info on the web that its confusing.

For example on facebook:
1. 2048px wide edge
2. 1200x630px size (with this i have seen best results so far but that limits my cropping to 1,91x1 ratio)
I used to post links to Flickr on Facebook. These days I barely use Facebook. Using links to Flickr makes rights management a non-issue and allows those who want higher quality to view it in a platform that permits that.