Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2023, 02:35 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Camera for left handed

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi everyone

yes... another similar thread... with a slight difference.

Is there a camera suitable for a single (left) handed person?
Zoom and focus/shutter release to be on the left side.
Any make; lighter the better.

If no such is heard of (most likely), please suggest appropriate modifications

Thanks in advance.
Sridhar

03-16-2023, 03:03 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
An interesting question, and one to which I do not have an answer. I shall be watching with interest.
03-16-2023, 04:18 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I find the question interesting too. From time to time threads on here and similar sites have appeared seeking assistance from people with disabilities of various kinds, including being unable to use hands, arms, etc, so a forum search might help if you haven't already done it? Solutions I recall include using WiFi remote controls or a phone app with the camera mounted on a tripod or similar. Cameras with touch screen operation could be worth exploring too.

Last edited by JohnX; 03-16-2023 at 04:24 AM.
03-16-2023, 04:30 AM - 1 Like   #4

An adapted Sony A6000 might be suitable; with the 16-50mm kit lens it weighs under 480g. I built a pistol grip for the camera so I could take photos pointing back at myself. I dug out the pistol grip today and after a bit of experimenting I think you could make something similar. Nearly all of the controls are reachable with the left thumb but you would need a remote release (it plugs into the left end of the camera). The cable would need to be shortened and connected to a press switch mounted in the pistol grip. It might be more practical to set the camera to focus on the back button rather than by the first press on the shutter release.

I found the lens zoom ring hard to turn, but a rubber band around it makes the ring easy to turn with the side of the forefinger.

With me, a much thinner grip would make it easier for the thumb to reach all the controls. All you need is some scraps of wood so it wouldn't matter if the first version wasn't quite right; you could just make another one. You'll also need to work out a way of keeping the grip lined up with the camera. A wrist strap would be useful, I think.

There are other similar models in the Sony range and I think some of them have one or two more customisable buttons than the A6000, which you may find useful.

I'll post some photos of this rig later.

03-16-2023, 04:44 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
I find the question interesting too. From time to time threads on here and similar sites have appeared seeking assistance from people with disabilities of various kinds, including being unable to use hands, arms, etc, so a forum search might help if you haven't already done it? Solutions I recall include using WiFi remote controls or a phone app with the camera mounted on a tripod or similar. Cameras with touch screen operation could be worth exploring too.
yes; started this after a search

a tripod is not practical... especially on a day to day basis.
touch screen operation - does it include shutter release? ... need to explore that... but in reality, I guess it would be difficult to trigger the touch screen with the thumb
Please share any links to this
Thanks

---------- Post added 16th Mar 2023 at 05:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Robot camera Quote
An adapted Sony A6000 might be suitable; with the 16-50mm kit lens it weighs under 480g. I built a pistol grip for the camera so I could take photos pointing back at myself. I dug out the pistol grip today and after a bit of experimenting I think you could make something similar. Nearly all of the controls are reachable with the left thumb but you would need a remote release (it plugs into the left end of the camera). The cable would need to be shortened and connected to a press switch mounted in the pistol grip. It might be more practical to set the camera to focus on the back button rather than by the first press on the shutter release.

I found the lens zoom ring hard to turn, but a rubber band around it makes the ring easy to turn with the side of the forefinger.

With me, a much thinner grip would make it easier for the thumb to reach all the controls. All you need is some scraps of wood so it wouldn't matter if the first version wasn't quite right; you could just make another one. You'll also need to work out a way of keeping the grip lined up with the camera. A wrist strap would be useful, I think.

There are other similar models in the Sony range and I think some of them have one or two more customisable buttons than the A6000, which you may find useful.

I'll post some photos of this rig later.

Wow!
Please share photos of the grip you built... a demo video would be even better
03-16-2023, 05:09 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by gibikote Quote
Wow!
Please share photos of the grip you built... a demo video would be even better
I've just put them in an album on Flickr.
03-16-2023, 05:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My old Sony Nex3N is fairly easy to operate with left hand.

Although the controls are on the right side It has a rocker control around the shutter button that controls the zoom (on powered zoom lenses).
So it is possible to reach most important controls with left hand holding the camera on the right side.

I believe most P&S cameras has similar controls.

03-16-2023, 05:55 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are some carriers that act like a human mounted tripod. Here’s a selection of examples:

Pin on Video Camera Stabilizers

Some are unsuitable, reporting you to hold them up… but others are more of a floating style where you can release the camera and it stays where it is.

With a device like this it becomes easier to operate one handed. Other options might be to look at a smaller point and shoot like a Sony RX100 and see if the add-on grip which is attached with adhesive could be mounted upside down and the camera used upside down. This would place the controls all on the left side. The menus would also be upside down so mentally you’d need to adjust.
03-16-2023, 10:37 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gibikote Quote
Hi everyone

yes... another similar thread... with a slight difference.

Is there a camera suitable for a single (left) handed person?
Zoom and focus/shutter release to be on the left side.
Any make; lighter the better.

If no such is heard of (most likely), please suggest appropriate modifications

Thanks in advance.
Sridhar
I never really thought about that since I'm right handed, but I figure it must be pretty awkward for left-handed people to manipulate those dials. Metz the now defunct flash manufacturer use to make flash units that you could use from the left side or right of the camera which was very helpful for a lot of people.
03-16-2023, 10:55 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Thinking outside the box, hold the camera upside down? Now controls are on the left. Using a battery grip would be even better. It puts controls on the left side as well as on bottom when upside down.

EDIT: I'll have to look but I think on the K3III you would still have correctly rotated touch settings on the rear screen when upside down.

EDIT2: Yes it does. Even with the camera upside down the rear screen will be right side up, giving you touch access to various settings (and focus)

Last edited by gatorguy; 03-17-2023 at 06:16 AM.
03-16-2023, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

There are a few things out there, something like this...
Camera Hand Grip Stabilizer Shutter Trigger f Canon Nikon Sony Fujifilm Olympus | eBay

Also, depending on how much you want to spend, Sony make a really good grip for some of their mirrorless cameras that control all focus / shutter and zooming functions of the camera.

Last edited by cmohr; 03-16-2023 at 04:08 PM.
03-16-2023, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Just found this on the internet. Brand is Smallrig, it's a handle that bluetooth connects to some cameras, from Sony and Canon. All small mirrorless options, lightweight.

https://www.photogear.com.au/products/smallrig-sr-rg1-wireless-shooting-grip...SABEgKGSfD_BwE

From the website it's compatible with Sony and Canon .

COMPATIBILITY
① Sony Cameras
ZV-1 / ZV-E10 / RX100 Ⅶ / RX0 II
Alpha 6100 / Alpha 6400 / Alpha 6600
Alpha 7C / Alpha 7 III / Alpha 7 IV / Alpha 7R III / Alpha 7R IV / Alpha 7S III / Alpha 9 / Alpha 9 II

② Canon Cameras
EOS M6 Mark II / EOS M50 / EOS M50 II / EOS M200 / EOS R / EOS R5 / EOS R6
PowerShot G5X II / G7X III
03-16-2023, 10:04 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone!
Will go through slowly...
03-17-2023, 05:18 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I experimented with holding my KP and Sony a7r iii upside down left handed. With the KP I could fully operate it - firing the shutter with my pinkie finger. It would be easier with a redesign to the grip. The texts and info on the lcd and in the finder were upside down but your brain can compensate for that that over time - making reading that info easier. Both cameras use back button focus which was easier than triggering focus via the shutter button. It was clear that menu diving was difficult so using user modes to setup for different customized workflow is probably important. Things like being able to assign iso to a control wheel may be very useful in the one handed operation model. I did find that the awkwardness was reduced if I used my arm to support the camera - so if the problem is a lack of a hand or hand impairments but not the lack of an arm it may be even easier some a small amount of support added to ease of use. A strap carefully arranged via chest anchor or even shoulder positioned if short enough, could provide another method of adding stability by allowing tension against it to help.

The size of lenses will be limited in one handed use. This suggests that apsc or m43 might be the best platform. I didn’t find dslr vs EVF to be a huge difference. External controls placed in various locations and easy customization appeared to be a big benefit.
03-18-2023, 10:54 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
I guess I should have specified that I am looking for a P & S... as I beleive it would be better/easier compared to an interchangeable lens system - as it is difficult (impossible) to change lenses with one hand, and too heavy, cause imbalance and shoulder problems.

Thanks for all suggestions... shall go through to see which is feasible, practical.... I wish there was an easy no brainer solution though

---------- Post added 18th Mar 2023 at 11:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Just found this on the internet. Brand is Smallrig, it's a handle that bluetooth connects to some cameras, from Sony and Canon. All small mirrorless options, lightweight.
https://www.photogear.com.au/products/smallrig-sr-rg1-wireless-shooting-grip...SABEgKGSfD_BwE

From the website it's compatible with Sony and Canon .

this seems to be the nearest, quickest solution... with a compatible camera