Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
03-27-2023, 09:58 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DPRevived - DPReview's Forum Structure Duplicated

Basically, it's so the forum communities from DPReview have a new home. The person who created the site goes by the handle "bobn2"

https://dprevived.com

QuoteQuote:
When I took this on I intended that it should result in a genuine community site - and maybe a bit more consensual than was DPReview. Here are some general principles:
1. Community Ownership
I don't want a single owner (or shareholders) that can sell the site to a corporation that closes it down when inconvenient. I propose that the legal embodiment of this site be a UK company limited by guarantee. That means that it will be a limited liability enterprise, and no-one will end up footing huge bills if something goes pear-shaped. This is a model used in the UK for many charities and community organisations. It has no shareholders, just members (more later) who have a stake for as long as their membership lasts. Without shareholders it can't be bought by a corporation without consent of the members. It has by law to have annual membership meetings and those elect company officers. I would propose that we have a fairly small board with named individuals taking on specific responsibilities within the operation. I will call this company the DPRevived Foundation (or just Foundation) hereafter.
2. Membership
One of the things that came across strongly in the discussions on the old forum was that free access was important. I propose that this should be maintained with DPRevived, but that there should be another class of members, which I will call 'partners'. Partners become members of the Foundation. To become a Partner people pay a fee, which helps to fund the site. They also take on a very small slice of the liability of the company (say 10 UKP, about 10 USD or EUR) in the event of the Foundation becoming insolvent (that's how a company limited by guarantee works) - this guarantee ceases when they cease to be members. I propose partnership be available in annual and life forms, and that those that have played a significant role in the foundation of DPRevived.com be awarded free life partnership (and maybe some others in future, at the discretion of the board of the time). All people undertaking responsible roles in the site should be partners and will be given free partnership for the duration of those roles. Partners will likely get some privileges, maybe some dedicated forums, publishing rights when we get content pages and so on. Suggestions welcome
5. Funding
Partnership subscriptions will provide some funding, but I think we'll need to take advertising, and possibly some paid services (such as for sale a la FM). I've used Google advertising in the past , it's not too onerous.
4. Terms, Conditions and rules
Yes, we'll need them. If anyone here has legal expertise and can contribute text - please!
My ideas, feel free to discuss, challenge and suggest alternatives.

03-27-2023, 10:10 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is encouraging news!
03-27-2023, 10:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This is good news
Bobn2 helped a lot behind the scene with much of the technical articles at DPR with his knowledge on sensors, what iso is and how camera manufactures use cameras

Root (If it is who I think it is) is another no nonsense person will help make it a valuable site

Alan I really don't know who he is but he seems down to earth
03-28-2023, 01:45 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Looks good. That's laid out in a much better format than the old DPR forum ever was. Hopefully it'll do well.

Edit:
But won't they have Amazon's lawyers all over them for calling it DPRevived?

Last edited by Dartmoor Dave; 03-28-2023 at 03:46 AM.
03-28-2023, 07:16 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Looks good. That's laid out in a much better format than the old DPR forum ever was. Hopefully it'll do well.

Edit:
But won't they have Amazon's lawyers all over them for calling it DPRevived?
It will be interesting to see if Amazon bothers.
03-28-2023, 08:29 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
bobn2 has matured over the years into someone more helpful than the guy he was during the equivalence wars.
03-28-2023, 08:29 AM - 5 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe dparrrgggh.com would have been better..

03-28-2023, 09:03 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
Maybe dparrrgggh.com would have been better..

They'd be a lot more likely to get away with it than the name they've chosen. I don't know if Amazon is quite as litigous as Disney, but I suspect they'll at least be keeping an eye on DPRevived just in case it becomes a moneymaking proposition. Let's just say that I don't think I'll be handing over any cash for membership/shared liability in the meantime. Being in the firing line of a global megacorporation's legal artillery is really not a whole lot of fun.
03-28-2023, 09:41 AM   #9
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

"All content, design, and layout are Copyright © 1998–2023 Digital Photography Review All Rights Reserved.
Reproduction in whole or part in any form or medium without specific written permission is prohibited."
Attached Images

03-28-2023, 11:12 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't think that's a problem. The layout of the forums and titles, etc. are fairly standard and common.

Copying over gear reviews could be problematic.
03-28-2023, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I don't think that's a problem. The layout of the forums and titles, etc. are fairly standard and common.

Copying over gear reviews could be problematic.
I think it would be curious if Amazon pursued legal actions for something it was shutting down.
03-28-2023, 12:45 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

I did a visit and so far it looks good. But the days are early.

Last edited by gatorguy; 03-28-2023 at 02:11 PM.
03-28-2023, 02:02 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I signed up today and found a few of our current members have boarded. I didn't post on the DPReview forum until these last few days, so I doubt I'll post on DPRevived - I'm just there to read postings and look at pics.
03-28-2023, 02:05 PM   #14
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Their website currently has an unsupported protocol. The client and server don't support a common SSL protocol version or cipher suite.
03-28-2023, 02:47 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I'm seeing garbage :