Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
04-25-2023, 04:58 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flickr best practices

For those who use Flickr to share photos (and presumably have a Pro [paid] account) what do you do re: viewing permissions, EXIF data, etc? I do not have GPS info in the pix, not that I care if someone sees I was in La Crosse last Friday. I do see a lot of Flickr links here on the PF, what do you folks do to lock down stuff?

I plan to publish via LRC (it generates a pretty nice jpg) and in the past I have made most of my uploaded pictures viewable by friends and family only, but anyone with a link to a photo or an album can see them (I think).

I'm not a pro photographer (clearly ) and I'm not particularly concerned with someone stealing a picture and selling it, but I guess that is always a concern.

As much as I enjoy the PF, I'd like a easier way to share the higher quality images (for critiques and *hopefully* compliments) and the "Manage Attachments" requires an extra step plus reduces the resolution. Sandy H shared a few in another thread and it was so cool I knew I had to start doing it. The Flickr URL was embedded in the post.

Cheers!

04-25-2023, 05:37 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't put anything on the internet that I really don't want disseminated. My Flickr account is pretty much an open door. I think I have one private image.
04-25-2023, 06:06 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
These are setting I use for public photos:
(In Account Settings)
Global Settings:
Who can download your images (including originals)? Friends & Family
Largest shared image size Best display size
Allow others to share your stuff No
Who can add you to a photo? Any Flickr member
Allow your stuff to be added to a gallery Yes
Hide your EXIF data No
Hide your stuff from public searches. No
Hide your profile from public searches No
Who can see what on your profile Email address:*Nobody*
Current city:*Public*(Hampstead, North Carolina)

Defaults for new uploads
Who will be able to see, comment on, or add notes
See: Anyone
Comment on: Any Flickr user
Add notes, tags, and people: People you follow
What license will your content have: All rights reserved
Who will be able to see your stuff on a map: Anyone
Import EXIF location data: Yes
What Safety Level and Content Type will your photostream have
Safety level:*Safe
Content type:*Photos / Videos

I think these settings will protect the images pretty well. I do get occasional requests to download photos for commercial and non commercial use, which an easy way to allow the download is to make the requester a friend temporarily. I had one earlier this week for a photo of a turtle for a turtle project in Croatia (to differentiate from the Balkan Terrapin that they are trying to conserve). They must not need a high quality image since I have not heard back since granting permission, a screen shot may be good enough for their use. I don't usually charge non profit groups.

I export everything full size and that's what I upload to Flickr, I have the pro account and storage is unlimited, so why not. I do have a Pentax GPS, which I use unless I forget it or I'm just going out in yard, so I have the location data activated.

I hope this is the type info you are looking for.
04-25-2023, 06:13 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by madison_wi_gal Quote

I'm not a pro photographer (clearly ) and I'm not particularly concerned with someone stealing a picture and selling it, but I guess that is always a concern.
I'm not to concerned with people stealing images to sell them either, I've only sold 34 stock images this year and those don't bring much money. More likely is someone stealing images for use in a website.

If I upload family pictures I change the settings so only family can see them, and send them a link since it won't show for anyone else.

04-25-2023, 06:28 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pretty much the same as @ramseybuckeye, here are my settings:
Attached Images

04-25-2023, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I hope this is the type info you are looking for.
It is, thanks!

---------- Post added 04-25-23 at 20:34 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mbaez Quote
Pretty much the same as @ramseybuckeye, here are my settings:
Thanks!!!
04-25-2023, 06:57 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

If it it on the web, it can be stolen so I don't worry about trying to keep my images from being used. You don't need a GPS to geolocate your images. Flickr has a function that allows a user to drag and drop the image onto a map. One of the groups I belong to on Flickr is 'Geotagged: Nevada' and the images have to be tagged on the map. About the only images I don't geotag are of my home. Flickr groups are a good way to get your images seen. BTW, every image I have had Explored on Flickr has been in the PF Forums Single In challenge.

04-25-2023, 07:19 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
BTW, every image I have had Explored on Flickr has been in the PF Forums Single In challenge.
Yes, that is one of the things I want to start doing.
04-25-2023, 08:58 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Practice links (selected photo, selected "share", selected "BBCode" and used first of the 3 generated links)

Last edited by madison_wi_gal; 04-25-2023 at 09:45 PM.
04-26-2023, 12:24 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Practice links
You are doing that correctly and the pictures show up. But because they are "private" in Flickr, clicking the image does not display it at full resolution.

I generally do not have my pictures on Flickr set to "private", and so clicking the image reveals all........

04-26-2023, 01:26 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got a message saying I do not have permission to view your photo when clicking on those two pics.
I normally don't use share for use here. I upload the normal way with a compressed image here, then go to the full size image on Flickr, select and copy the URL in the address bar, come back here, and use the Hyperlink button (small globe and chain icon) and paste the URL flickr link.
04-26-2023, 05:11 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
You are doing that correctly and the pictures show up. But because they are "private" in Flickr, clicking the image does not display it at full resolution.
Fixed. Most were F&F as I sorted out how I wanted to do this.
04-26-2023, 05:24 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Practice links (selected photo, selected "share", selected "BBCode" and used first of the 3 generated links)
FWIW, when I clicked on those pictures (eg the flamingo) I got a page with a random picture in the background demanding that I either log in or register with Flickr. I didn't, not that I needed to to appreciate the picture, unless I wanted to see a 100% crop or something.

On the other hand, with pschlute's photo of the dog, when I clicked on it (not that I needed to, but out of curiosity) I reached the same picture on Flickr's website but with a cookie questionaire on top. I clicked the questionaire's "Reject All" button and it then allowed me to see the picture, and enlarge it. But after I closed the tab I checked and found that Flickr had stuck me with no less that 25 cookies despite my choice to reject them. Beats my why Flickr needs 25 (or any) cookies to show you a picture, and I deleted them anyway.

Hope that helps.
04-26-2023, 05:27 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
I got a message saying I do not have permission to view your photo when clicking on those two pics.
I normally don't use share for use here. I upload the normal way with a compressed image here, then go to the full size image on Flickr, select and copy the URL in the address bar, come back here, and use the Hyperlink button (small globe and chain icon) and paste the URL flickr link.

1 - fixed, they were Friends and Family
2 - this seems (to me) like more work - if that is your preferred workflow then great for you, but I have been urged by the Club folks to get more of my stuff visible, and if I have to do 3 steps within the PF then I am unlikely to do so.

For me: Grab RAW in LRC, Deep Prime correction in DxO, back to LRC with additional tweaks (I'd do this anyway), then LRC publish to Flickr with 2048 long side and public view access - then take that "share" BB link and post here for critique/Single in Challenge stuff.

Your final image link is still to Flickr, so I am not clear on what benefit you are deriving, but thank you for taking the time to explain your workflow.
04-26-2023, 06:55 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
FWIW, when I clicked on those pictures (eg the flamingo) I got a page with a random picture in the background demanding that I either log in or register with Flickr. I didn't, not that I needed to to appreciate the picture, unless I wanted to see a 100% crop or something.

On the other hand, with pschlute's photo of the dog, when I clicked on it (not that I needed to, but out of curiosity) I reached the same picture on Flickr's website but with a cookie questionaire on top. I clicked the questionaire's "Reject All" button and it then allowed me to see the picture, and enlarge it. But after I closed the tab I checked and found that Flickr had stuck me with no less that 25 cookies despite my choice to reject them. Beats my why Flickr needs 25 (or any) cookies to show you a picture, and I deleted them anyway.

Hope that helps.
I have since fixed my privacy settings, but the cookie thing is all Flickr. Thanks for the feedback!