Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2023, 10:10 PM   #1
Banned

UV filters

Do we need UV filters with modern film anymore?

Was trying to get honest reviews of the current crop of UV filters, and quite a few photo magazines seem to think modern produced film has no need of UV filter.

05-02-2023, 12:56 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BandeauRouge Quote
Do we need UV filters with modern film anymore?

Was trying to get honest reviews of the current crop of UV filters, and quite a few photo magazines seem to think modern produced film has no need of UV filter.
As far as I know, both panchromatic b&w and color negs and slides are all sensitive to UV. Can you share any links to articles where a magazine or website make claims UV is not needed?

Before we reduced the depth of the ozone layer, UV was much more a problem at high altitudes, but now, you can have excessive UV at sea level.

If I'm shooting indoors or at night, I'll take off the UV filter, especially now that LEDs are often the indoor light source and do not have UV in their spectrum (unless it's specially a UV light for plant growth).

Where UV is not needed at all is with digital cameras. And for what it's worth, clear glass does filter out a majority of UV, but that last 2-15% can be enough to cause over exposure (the light meter measures visible light; not UV) and a blue cast.
05-02-2023, 06:51 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Colour films have had a UV blocking layer for decades now. One example - Kodak Ektar 25, Frozen for Over 30 Years | PetaPixel
05-02-2023, 09:13 AM   #4
Banned

Original Poster
How to Use Filters

In that genius writing,,, he puts forth ALL color filters for use with black and white film cut out all UV radiation just like a UV filter..

however there are different types of UV filters,,, protrector and Haze... so that raises more questions on me.

I just been using a CPL for a few years, and my latest camera came with a UV filter, that i dont know if it does anything or not.

05-05-2023, 05:14 PM   #5
Banned

Original Poster
bought up some Neewer UV filters... sale is nice... got some other stuff to play with.. Its just crappy these days with figure out stuff
06-18-2023, 12:29 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have used UV filters on all my lenses, 35 and 120 since the eighties. If I'm shooting B & W I take the UV off and replace it with the appropriate color lens.
06-18-2023, 12:51 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I never bothered with UV filters except in fairly special circumstances. I think it's one of those things that is pretty easy to check for yourself and see where it's going to benefit you to use, if ever.
Digital doesn't require UV filters as the sensor doesn't see that deep into the spectrum, but some films would probably benefit in some situations.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure any coated filter will act as at least a UV A filter, so if you are shooting B&W film with a colour filter, UV is taken care of to an extent.

One thing I did learn early on is that your lens is only as good as the filter on it. I like to have filters that are at least as good as the lens they are on.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 06-18-2023 at 03:57 PM.