Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2023, 06:52 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I definitely can't turn off the AC, I'd be as worried about fungus in the HVAC and drywall as in the camera. Houses in this part of the country are designed to be climate controlled most of the time. I think short term I'll try out some of the alternative wipes mentioned here. While I was looking at those, I chanced on the Nikon Fog Klear wipes

Fog Klear | Nikon

I'll probably give that a shot on a low-value lens as well, seems worth a try. I've got some furniture building projects coming up for my office, I'm going to look into heating part of something.

By the way, if anyone else deals with this, the lens warmer is a game changer for planned outings. It's made for astrophotography, but works great for slowly bringing the lens above the dew point temperature over the space of about 10 minutes. It gets warm enough that generally the viewfinder doesn't fog over either, but rear screen does.

07-02-2023, 07:46 PM   #17
Veteran Member

If there is a filter on the front and condensation forming behind that, remove the filter.
Then let the lens stand at room temperature.
In-field, just use a microfibre cloth to wipe away condensation.
Anti-fog wipes for reading glasses work well, but after application the surface needs to be given a microfibre wipe to remove any traces of streaks.
I would not be keen on anything like a lens-warmer to artificially raise the temperature when there is a big difference between the lens and ambient environment.

Fungal spores are all around us, all of the time. All that is needed for seeding is just the right environment over and extended time frame, not that careless storage of cameras helps (and I've seen plenty of this, including people storing their camera(s) in the freezer!). Once a lens shows evidence of a fungal invasion, chances are other lenses nearby it have also been infected. Nature of the beast.
07-02-2023, 10:27 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
That’s not my point. My point was that putting the camera in a hot and humid location for storage so that it is ready for a sudden opportunity shot isn’t safe. Certainly a few hours here and there is fine but that’s not going to make it possible to dash out and take a shot of a hawk in the front yard eating. This is why I suggested indoor heated storage to avoid the fungus but keep the camera ready for outdoor action.
In that case, i would take the suggestion of photoptimist, using a filter, but having the filters stored in cabinet outside de house, while keeping the camera in cool and dry area. In case of photo emergency, go out to take the filter, bring the filter in house to mount on the lens, go out with the camera and take pictures. If fungus grow on the uv filters, just buy new filters. I still believe fungus is a thing for old lenses (old coating), never had any fungus on modern Pentax lenses, even staying for months in tropical environment.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 07-02-2023 at 11:40 PM.
07-03-2023, 01:09 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
using a filter, but having the filters stored in cabinet outside de house, while keeping the camera in cool and dry area
Beat me to it, more or less. I was going to say warm up a filter off the lens with a hair drier - should only take a few seconds - then screw it on the lens, and out you go to get the shot of that unicorn in the garden. Maybe that is a short term answer because the humid air will start to seep into the lens, but the OP only wanted to snatch a couple of shots outside.

I'm a bit bemused by this thread because in the UK the problem is the opposite one : coming back into the house from outside

07-03-2023, 03:33 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
Beat me to it, more or less. I was going to say warm up a filter off the lens with a hair drier - should only take a few seconds - then screw it on the lens, and out you go to get the shot of that unicorn in the garden. Maybe that is a short term answer because the humid air will start to seep into the lens, but the OP only wanted to snatch a couple of shots outside.

I'm a bit bemused by this thread because in the UK the problem is the opposite one : coming back into the house from outside
Same here, coming from outside one has to keep the camera in the camera bag for an hour until the whole thing is at temperature before opening the bag.

Front lens element isn't the only thing fogged, there is also the viewfinder eye piece and rear display that get fogged
07-03-2023, 12:41 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NatureHike Quote
deal with your lens fogging when going from air conditioning out to hot and humid weather
You can use a gun safe dehumidifier rod in a drawer, cabinet or other enclosure in which you can store your camera. They're only about $20 and are basically heater rods that raise the ambient temperature within the enclosure.
07-03-2023, 01:02 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
You can use a gun safe dehumidifier rod in a drawer, cabinet or other enclosure in which you can store your camera. They're only about $20 and are basically heater rods that raise the ambient temperature within the enclosure.
Wow, that is a reasonably priced and very practical suggestion - thanks!

07-06-2023, 02:15 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Travelling by bus, my equipment is usually already at the ambient temperature and humidity, whatever time of year.