Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 279 Likes Search this Thread
07-07-2019, 10:32 PM   #361
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Note: Unless anyone objects I'm going to merge this thread into the "Pentax in The Movies" thread.
No objection from me.

07-08-2019, 06:27 PM   #362
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A CW channel show Riverdale.
In various episodes, but noticed the KM in season 3, Episode 3, one of the girls was using the KM in a couple scenes.

I watch this with my teenager.
09-22-2019, 12:59 PM   #363
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The movie "Polaroid", released this year, prominently features an ME Super (with M 50/1.4 ?!) in at least two scenes in the first 15 minutes
09-22-2019, 01:32 PM   #364
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
The movie "Polaroid", released this year, prominently features an ME Super (with M 50/1.4 ?!) in at least two scenes in the first 15 minutes
It's in the trailer too.

Steve

09-22-2019, 10:18 PM   #365
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

"Salmon Fishing in the Yemen" (2011) has a Pentax LX (silver) at 1:27:12.

Steve
06-21-2020, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #366
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
My impression is that the Pentax gets less screen time than either of the Nikons individually. It might seem unusual to have competing products on screen but as I recall this was still an era without complicated legal maneuvering have products on-screen. Indeed the product makers would often write the studios a check as a thank-you for the free advertising.
From an accuracy point of view, rocking three cameras doesn't make a lot of sense. I have tried that and it gets awkward and old very quickly. Too may bits of gear swinging around your body and slowing you down. Two cameras just work better.

The main reason for using multiple bodies is that you don't want to waste time swopping lenses in the heat of the moment. Having Pentax and Nikon could work for that. The other reason in the film era was to have monochrome in the one body and color in the other. In that use case, having two different lens mounts makes no sense.
06-21-2020, 07:21 PM - 2 Likes   #367
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
From an accuracy point of view, rocking three cameras doesn't make a lot of sense. I have tried that and it gets awkward and old very quickly. Too may bits of gear swinging around your body and slowing you down. Two cameras just work better.

The main reason for using multiple bodies is that you don't want to waste time swopping lenses in the heat of the moment. Having Pentax and Nikon could work for that. The other reason in the film era was to have monochrome in the one body and color in the other. In that use case, having two different lens mounts makes no sense.
In the 80's and 90's I always showed up for work with three 35mm SLRs. Sometimes it was because of different films, always three primes, so it was faster to switch lenses, and sometimes it was so that when one ran out of film, you could switch to another and not lose time rewinding and reloading in the heat of shooting.

No I didn't like it and yes there was always a strain on my neck and shoulders, but I was young and you never heard a photographer gripe about it. It meant you were working and being paid well enough. It was also a contingency plan to have the redundancy in case one camera stopped working.

Back then, that was often what separated the pros from the wannabes. One camera? Hobbyist. Two cameras? Ambitious part timer. Three cameras? Pro.

06-22-2020, 03:17 AM   #368
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Back then, that was often what separated the pros from the wannabes. One camera? Hobbyist. Two cameras? Ambitious part timer. Three cameras? Pro.
I had an LX and a Super A in the eighties, both with motor drives. Ambitious part timer? That was me.

I once managed to get into the pits at a motor racing event, without a pass. Having a 400mm lens helped as well. I just walked past the security guy, looking the part of a serious pro.

Edit: I just realized my biggest problem with three bodies. Where does the bag go? I would feel under-equipped with only three lenses.

Last edited by Wasp; 06-22-2020 at 03:46 AM.
06-22-2020, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #369
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Edit: I just realized my biggest problem with three bodies. Where does the bag go? I would feel under-equipped with only three lenses.
The bag stayed in the hotel room or the camera truck. Instead I wore one of those 20+ pocket photographer's vest for spare or spent film and batteries, cleaning supplies, sharpie, chewing gum, etc. All three cameras with lenses were out of the bag and on my neck and shoulders. I once tried a sling type camera back pack instead of the vest, but it was just too slow to access things.

I think it's natural to feel under-equipped, until your day starts before the sunrise and ends at midnight and realize what pieces of gear are not actually essential. My mindset of not being over equipped vs. fear of being under-equipped is resolved at days end cleaning and putting things away and realizing what was never actually used. If I had an assistant that changed things, but most of the time I was solo.
07-26-2020, 08:58 AM   #370

The Invaders - Season 2 Episode 2 "The Saucer" original air date 12 Sept 1967
"The Invaders" The Saucer (TV Episode 1967) - IMDb

Looks like David Vincent (Roy Thinnes) is using a Spotmatic or SV but I could be wrong. The Asahi/Honeywell Pentax logo is painted/taped over but it looks like you can just make out the "H" or AOCo logo on the prism housing in a couple of the screencap (see last two).

Note: Dabney Coleman with full head of hair. The episode also guest starred Anne Francis and Charles Drake.
07-31-2020, 11:35 AM   #371
Veteran Member

Recently noticed the hit TV series "Stranger Things" has one of the main characters sporting a good 'ole Pentax K1000
08-03-2020, 08:53 PM   #372

Pentax film cameras in the movies and TV

I just watched an episode of Danger Man (the colonels daughter) and the colonel was using a Pentax SLR with a first model clip on light meter. Anyone else remember any old Pentax seen in a movie or TV show?
Attached Images

08-03-2020, 09:35 PM   #373
Pentaxian

Out of interest, why did a thread about Pentax film cameras get moved out of the Pentax Film SLR forum and into Photographic Technique?
08-03-2020, 10:02 PM   #374
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Out of interest, why did a thread about Pentax film cameras get moved out of the Pentax Film SLR forum and into Photographic Technique?
I thought it was in General Photography.

(There have been some dSLR models show up, IIRC.)

Steve
08-03-2020, 10:31 PM   #375
Pentaxian

Watched a NZ doco a couple of days ago hosted by NZ photographer Craig Potton about the Clutha River. Towards the end of the show he visits a piece of remnant natural forest and carries over his shoulder a Manfrotto tripod with a Pentax 645 of some sort attached - a recent show so it would probably be a Z.