Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: If photography is like fishing, are you in it for the process, or just the keepers?
I love the process of photography, working with my equipment and visualizing the images 9172.22%
I'm in it for the results. I want to get the images I need with minimum fuss 1814.29%
There's a K3III, three Limited lenses and a trout in my bag right now 64.76%
We're only in it for the money 10.79%
Is that a rainbow trout, or a Monochrome? 107.94%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2023, 09:07 PM - 1 Like   #1
Staff Writer

Photos: Gallery
Is photography like fishing? The Best of PF Newsletter poll for September 13, 2023

ffking said on The Best of Pentax Forums Newsletter Poll for August 23 "In some ways, photography is a bit like fishing - some people enjoy the process, others just want the result. I happen to think that more enjoyment of the process (less mechanization means greater user involvement and decision making) makes more creative images, but you can't deny that more mechanization makes for less frustration and near certainty of captures that were once very hit and miss. It all depends what you want or need - creative input with an element of unpredictability or near certainty of results. I suppose we're lucky to have the choice. I miss simple film cameras though - there's a joy in the process, for all the frustrations and a pleasure of ownership in the results when you get it right. A bit like fishing."
What say you, Pentaxians? If photography is like fishing, are you in it for the process, or just the keepers?

09-12-2023, 09:36 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photography is like hunting. Images can't decide to bite or ignore the bait. Photographer can be a kill it all type (in burst mode) and throw away what's not edible (delete), go for the occasional rabbit , duck or pigeon, or hunt for big animals.
09-12-2023, 11:22 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Photography is like hunting..
Yeah, sometimes the other practitioners turn their guns on you…
09-13-2023, 12:40 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cjfeola Quote
I miss simple film cameras though - there's a joy in the process, for all the frustrations and a pleasure of ownership in the results when you get it right.
There's no need to miss it! There's plenty of people still using film. You can still buy film & there are still loads of great film cameras out there.

09-13-2023, 02:06 AM - 4 Likes   #5
Pentaxian

For me it is the planning and and being out in the field capturing images, enjoying nature that is the most important to me.
Photography is like a therapy for me to take my mind off all troubles in life.

Like most hobbies I have it is the "journey" that is more important than the actual end result.
09-13-2023, 03:14 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
For me it is the planning and and being out in the field capturing images, enjoying nature that is the most important to me.
Photography is like a therapy for me to take my mind off all troubles in life.

Like most hobbies I have it is the "journey" that is more important than the actual end result.
As I believe I said at the time “I’ll let someone else tie the flies”. I do photograph with B&W film at times, but I appreciate how automation adds to my effort. I’ve always had automation, and I do seek it up to a point; it is like an assistant, pointed in the same direction.
09-13-2023, 04:08 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Yes - in the sense that, if you are not careful, you can get hooked (sorry !).

09-13-2023, 04:23 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Photography is like hunting.
I like this. Maybe it's why many refer to taking photos as "shooting pictures".
09-13-2023, 06:21 AM - 5 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I voted for the second option (results), but I see myself in between 1 and 2.

Just like with fishing, it can happen that I spend a whole day out in nature with the camera and not come home with a single keeper, and be sort of fine because being in nature is like therapy (but free).
But it feels a whole lot better when you come home and you already know there's at least one great picture on the card of an encounter you've had that day. The kind of picture where you immediately transfer the files to the computer, flip through to find the best one(s), edit and upload them that very day.
I'm sort of a "spray and pray" kind of guy when it comes to digital photography (because why not?), so I tend to have to delete a lot of the images I take, and I despise having to do that so I usually put off that part of the process until I'm in the mood (ah, that's why).
But sometimes the stars just align
09-13-2023, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmm, I really do hunt and fish. I like nature, day or night. Big things, small things, get a great catch or a unique find, then process it. I never go out hunting or fishing without a modified tool bag filled with camera, 2 lenses, extra batteries, and sometimes the tripod and remotes. Most of the time, camera sits here on my desk ready to grab and catch something in my own yard or just sit to the side catching birds.

And as ehrwien said, I'm fine if nothing comes home, it's therapy.

So I guess I'm in option 1 and 3? (fish go in the cooler though, lol)
09-13-2023, 09:10 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
I’m sort of a "spray and pray" kind of guy when it comes to digital photography (because why not?)
I’m most definitely not a “spray an shoot” sort of guy. Why not? - because, for me, each and every shot is intentional; I wouldn’t fish or hunt with a machine-gun. I never even had a ‘motor drive’ until I got a Canon film camera with a built-in one in 1995. In the Film Project, they talk about the importance of advancing film by hand - that spoke to my soul. When we toured the swamps where Lafitte had lived, a member of the tour group took a burst for every shot I took ……. I didn’t see any point to his continual bursts - nothing was changing.

Last edited by reh321; 09-13-2023 at 09:24 AM.
09-13-2023, 12:37 PM - 5 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find myself struggling with a lot of these polls - even when instructed to pick the closest fit in case there is no perfect one. (Voted for the first option, devoid of a better alternative.)

Now, if I happen to enjoy wine deeply, do I have to despise good beer? It's like that with so many things in life, at least for me: Doing one thing, and not leaving the other undone.

As for photography, I'm both in it for the process and the results. I like both the technical and the artistic aspects of it. I feel both attached to the instruments and the photographs produced with them. I like the capturing and the editing. I take photos both to document and to express my way of seeing the world and how I feel about it. I could go on and on like this. It may well be the combination of all those things that has kept me going with photography for so many years.

Or I could just cut the waffle and let an image do the talking:

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 09-13-2023 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Nuance.
09-13-2023, 03:57 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like others, these polls don't really give the right option. The first option is great, but I want results too.
09-13-2023, 06:20 PM - 3 Likes   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

There's a saying in cycling, that your worst day on the bike, when things go wrong - is still better than your best day at the office.

An aphorism, for sure, but I do get that you can arrive home tired and happy from a shoot with all its ups and downs. It's been a great time, because this is a great hobby we have.

I guess that's a roundabout way of saying that for me, it's process. I have come back from a day empty handed seeking a particular species of bird to shoot, except for the usual pigeons and fairy wrens, but like an angler who has no actual fish in the icebox to bring home, it's been a mind clearing exercise where the day to day thoughts of home and work obligations have been pushed to the back of the stove.

The anglers I know had beers in that icebox when they left in the morning, none left at the end, so I can see there are several ingredients to their Zen-like happiness.

By the way, Chris, you generate some great conversation starters in this series!

Last edited by clackers; 09-13-2023 at 06:40 PM.
09-13-2023, 08:11 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Is photography like fishing ?

For me it is to a degree. I used to fly fish before it got to the point that the physically repetitive casting required was too much for my shoulder replacement.

I tied my own flies, tried to match the hatch, observe what insects / small bait fish were in the water, loved to make wet flies...those long strips of rabbit fur that undulate so sinuously and minnow like....through the water. I liked fishing mostly for Northern Pike...when a pike hits your wet fly....hang on.

Going by the above, Iiked the process...making the bait (flies), matching what bait there was (insects, minnows) in the particular waters I fished...and there are a lot of fish filled waters in the Canadian Shield.

I am certainly no great fisherman...or photographer for that matter. If I get a great image or a big linker...great...but if I don't no big deal. I like the doing.

In the film days, in my tackle box...I would carry a small Olympus Clamshell 35mm camera.....always at the ready to record my catch of the day.