Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2009, 08:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Buying Used From Adorama...

I would just like to know if you guys have bought used stuff from Adorama before. They have a couple of pieces (film SLRs, hence why I'm posting here - mods, please move if it should be located elsewhere...) that KEH doesn't have, so I'm looking to buy from them. Your thoughts and experiences? Thanks!

01-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've always done pretty well with them, actually. The selection isn't as big as KEH, obviously, but I've had no complaints with used things I got from them: I get my film and chemicals from them and often see what they happen to have. I've gotten, well, a couple of lower-priced lenses there, actually, what else, I'd been just about to buy something else from them before I made a bit of an Ebay bargain.
01-09-2009, 10:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
I would just like to know if you guys have bought used stuff from Adorama before. They have a couple of pieces (film SLRs, hence why I'm posting here - mods, please move if it should be located elsewhere...) that KEH doesn't have, so I'm looking to buy from them. Your thoughts and experiences? Thanks!
You may want to check out This Thread.

Actually, I've bought from them several times, they're a good vendor with good merchandise and fair prices, IMO.

01-09-2009, 02:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I bought a used lens from them last summer that had issues with the iris diaphragm and they paid for the return shipping and refunded my money. I emailed them about the issue and they called me at home. They gave me several options. There rating system is pretty good as well. Of course I think KEH excels in rating used gear better than almost anyone on the net except maybe Blue Moon in Oregon.
The place that I personally buy used gear is KEH, Adorama, BH and Blue Moon. Blue Moon is the smallest of the bunch but respond to email and phone.

01-09-2009, 06:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
You may want to check out This Thread.

Actually, I've bought from them several times, they're a good vendor with good merchandise and fair prices, IMO.

Man, that's a good buy! Hmm, maybe I should try for an MZ-5 and hope an MZ-S goes in the mail (5 and S do look alike sometimes )? Kidding aside, I appreciate that Adorama keeps checks on this forum. It speaks of their integrity and honest nature.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I've always done pretty well with them, actually. The selection isn't as big as KEH, obviously, but I've had no complaints with used things I got from them: I get my film and chemicals from them and often see what they happen to have. I've gotten, well, a couple of lower-priced lenses there, actually, what else, I'd been just about to buy something else from them before I made a bit of an Ebay bargain.
Well, in this case, Adorama has some stuff KEH doesn't have at the moment. I should check their stocks more often.

I have yet to score a good deal out of eBay. I usually get outbid. Maybe I should try looking for the most obscure items?

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I bought a used lens from them last summer that had issues with the iris diaphragm and they paid for the return shipping and refunded my money. I emailed them about the issue and they called me at home. They gave me several options. There rating system is pretty good as well. Of course I think KEH excels in rating used gear better than almost anyone on the net except maybe Blue Moon in Oregon.
The place that I personally buy used gear is KEH, Adorama, BH and Blue Moon. Blue Moon is the smallest of the bunch but respond to email and phone.
What's the safe rating to go with Adorama? I'm okay with KEH's BGN rating. Is E- a good enough rating to go with for an SLR body?
01-09-2009, 07:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

i was looking into an expensive camera on Adorama and e-mailed the used department and got nothing. you'd think that if you're gonna spend almost 2 grand on a used piece of equipment, getting some photos wouldn't be too much to ask
01-09-2009, 07:42 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
. . .

What's the safe rating to go with Adorama? I'm okay with KEH's BGN rating. Is E- a good enough rating to go with for an SLR body?
That is a pretty good comparison but KEH is more consistent with their appraisals. If I wanted something to look real good I would keep it to E or E+ at Ador and 8 or 9 at BH. All 3 have good return policies not to mention decent warranties for used, or even antique gear.

01-10-2009, 10:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
i was looking into an expensive camera on Adorama and e-mailed the used department and got nothing. you'd think that if you're gonna spend almost 2 grand on a used piece of equipment, getting some photos wouldn't be too much to ask
I'm not too sure they could accommodate everyone who requests photos. I agree, though, that if you are considering a purchase upwards of a certain dollar amount, you should be able to at least view the item itself. Or that they post the photo itself on the web page. That way, they won't have to accommodate all photo requests of the same single item.

Their used department may be too busy sorting out, grading, and listing stuff, though. They do seem to have a lot of used items up for sale. Certainly not as many as KEH, but still sizable.

That is a pretty good comparison but KEH is more consistent with their appraisals. If I wanted something to look real good I would keep it to E or E+ at Ador and 8 or 9 at BH. All 3 have good return policies not to mention decent warranties for used, or even antique gear.
Thanks for the rough equivalency. Gives me a good idea of what ratings to look out for just in case.
01-10-2009, 10:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Update: I just went ahead and ordered the Pentax KX they have sitting in their used department.

Well, I'm hoping it is a Pentax KX. It was listed as "Penta Kx". I'm not picky about typographical errors, but there are stories abound here where FA lenses were inadvertently listed as F. I certainly don't want to have to ship back stuff, it'll cost me upwards of $60.

Here's hoping to a hassle-free transaction from Adorama.
01-10-2009, 02:44 PM   #10
Adorama Camera Representative

Adorama Camera Customer Service

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
You are absolutely right, and I apologize on behalf of the used department that you weren't contacted; is it something that is too late for me to be able to rectify for you?

P.S. I was at the last ever Arsenal game at 'Highbury' in 2006......

Sincerely

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
helen.oster@adoramacamera.com
01-10-2009, 02:47 PM   #11

You may not yet have seen the brand new Adorama rating system, which was drawn up with input from a number of contributors to the forums where I have a presence:

N) New (Brand new)
All original packaging and manuals included.

D) Demo (Like New) 98-100% of original condition
Like New with little or no signs of use

E+) Excellent Plus 96-97% of original condition
May have slight wear, but only visible under close up inspection.

E) Excellent 90-95% of original condition
Lens Glass very clean - cosmetically may show slight wear and/or signs of use

E-) Excellent Minus 85-89% of original condition
Shows signs of moderate use - Lens Glass is perfect but may have some dust which will not affect picture quality

V) Very Good 75-84% of original condition
Appears well used and may include dings, brassing, scrapes and bruises but is in fully functional condition. Glass may have marks or haze that should not affect picture quality

G) Good 50-74% of original condition
Appears to have been used very heavily, with multiple dings, scrapes, scratches and heavy brassing. Glass may have fungus, excessive dust and/or scratches that can affect picture quality

F) Fair Item works with certain malfunctions. Read comments for exact malfunction details

X) For parts only

Accessories:
New – As Packaged by manufacturer
For all other grades – Instruction books, caps, batteries, cases, and straps are sold separately, except when specified

All digital cameras are packed with Battery and charger, except when stated otherwise.

Sincerely

Helen Oster
01-10-2009, 04:12 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Helen,
You are correct. You guys slipped the new rating system by me. I need to take that into account when I'm looking over the listings of used gear.

Edit: It looks like the new Adorama system will make my above comparisons more accurate.
08-08-2014, 01:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
You may not yet have seen the brand new Adorama rating system, which was drawn up with input from a number of contributors to the forums where I have a presence:

N) New (Brand new)
All original packaging and manuals included.

D) Demo (Like New) 98-100% of original condition
Like New with little or no signs of use

E+) Excellent Plus 96-97% of original condition
May have slight wear, but only visible under close up inspection.

E) Excellent 90-95% of original condition
Lens Glass very clean - cosmetically may show slight wear and/or signs of use

E-) Excellent Minus 85-89% of original condition
Shows signs of moderate use - Lens Glass is perfect but may have some dust which will not affect picture quality

V) Very Good 75-84% of original condition
Appears well used and may include dings, brassing, scrapes and bruises but is in fully functional condition. Glass may have marks or haze that should not affect picture quality

G) Good 50-74% of original condition
Appears to have been used very heavily, with multiple dings, scrapes, scratches and heavy brassing. Glass may have fungus, excessive dust and/or scratches that can affect picture quality

F) Fair Item works with certain malfunctions. Read comments for exact malfunction details

X) For parts only

Accessories:
For all other grades – Instruction books, caps, batteries, cases, and straps are sold separately, except when specified

All digital cameras are packed with Battery and charger, except when stated otherwise.

Sincerely

Helen Oster

the recent re-designed of the web for used dept is pretty bad, often no image, item description is not clear.
I got burn by buying a Pentax 67 extension tube. I was thinking it comes with case, as at the time I am looking, there is no such description that say it didn't come with case.

I received mine without case, email cs and were ask to send back at my own cost. and order the newly listed (same price) that suddenly have a description that said "case". nice job.
so now not only I have to pay both ways shipping for returning the item, and pay new shipping to place new item...

should have bought from other place.

Not just adorama, Keh.com recent re-design of the web is also as bad as Adorama.

very disappointed. If you want customer to call to verify an item before they place an order, please write that on the website or just do phone order for used item.

bad experience.
08-09-2014, 12:06 PM   #14

As you can see above: Accessories:
For all other grades – Instruction books, caps, batteries, cases, and straps are sold separately, except when specified.

As it was not specified that the case was included, it was not......

The images are generic and are supplied by the manufacturers as a series of codes (we don't photograph everything ourselves) that can be uploaded to our website. If the manufacturer cannot supply this eg because the item is discontinued, we wouldn't be able to post it. However, you are always most welcome to request a picture of an item you would like to see in more detail, and if we have a photographer available at the time, will do our best to help with this.

Last edited by Helen Oster; 08-10-2014 at 01:08 AM.