Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-26-2014, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What was that?
Lens: Super Takumar 85mm f1.9 Camera: K30 

My beautiful son enjoying a milkshake

I took this photo with one of my legacy manual lenses - one of my favourites this being the Super Takumar 85/1.9. A discrete lens that goes unnoticed by unwilling subjects

I deliberately chose this lens for its natural cropping dimensions. I did this as I had the intention of testing my abilities to get that great shot without relying on post processing as a means of improving the image. While I routinely engage in post processing (and enjoy doing so) I do actively try to limit the post processing work needed on an image by using the right lens for the situation (as is the case in this shot).

This shot was not post processed at all and as such was immensely satisfying. It is the JPEG generated straight from the K30. I could probably improve the contrast and colours a tad but I decided to leave that alone as the story behind the image forms part of my satisfaction in its production. Besides the earthy tones appear to suit the subject matter. The unassuming and engaged look grabbed at that moment was spontaneous - a background lending itself to more natural subtle organic tones.

Last edited by Wild Mark; 05-04-2014 at 09:01 PM. Reason: describing my phylosophical approach to taking the image
04-26-2014, 07:15 AM   #2
Forum Member

pretty neat portrait. love the innocent expression.
04-26-2014, 06:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

this portrait captures so much about the child/student
05-04-2014, 08:40 PM   #4

I like how you cropped it , tight, focused on one of his eyes. Great joy!

05-04-2014, 08:46 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for your comment.

One challenge I have placed on myself (generally) is to use the lens itself to crop the image (I have lots of prime lenses ). While I do crop in Photoshop I also try to minimise this as much as possible. I do this to try and preserve the natural characteristics of the lens in addition to the satisfaction one gets when the effort expended works.

This shot was not cropped in photoshop. This is one of the reasons why I like this image so much - I have not used photoshop at all (image straight from the camera)

Cheers
05-18-2014, 08:58 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Lovely photo - this will be treasured for a long time!