Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2014, 11:19 AM - 6 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Happy New Year!
Lens: Pentax DA 40mm 2.8 Limited Camera: Pentax K-3 

I envisioned this shot ahead of time and had to plan it out. To pull it off I headed up to Crested Butte to climb Mt. Snodgrass which lies across the valley from Mt. Crested Butte after leaving work a little early on New Year's eve. I skied about 1000 vertical feet over a few Miles with two tripods and two cameras (new K-3 and K-5) so I could shoot individual shots as well as a time lapse. I got set up just in time to catch the start of the torchlight parade, which is when the ski school staff ski down with road flares creating the line you see on the snow. This was the first firework of the display as the skiers came into the base area and this was the one that came out the best since it wasn't completely dark yet. I got to ski a little powder in the dark on the way back to the car as icing on the cake. Fun night!
ISO 800, 40mm, f/8, 20s

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-26-2014, 05:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nominated! Puts a new meaning to the phrase, "Happy trails!"
04-26-2014, 06:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I envisioned this shot ahead of time and had to plan it out. To pull it off I headed up to Crested Butte to climb Mt. Snodgrass which lies across the valley from Mt. Crested Butte after leaving work a little early on New Year's eve. I skied about 1000 vertical feet over a few Miles with two tripods and two cameras (new K-3 and K-5) so I could shoot individual shots as well as a time lapse. I got set up just in time to catch the start of the torchlight parade, which is when the ski school staff ski down with road flares creating the line you see on the snow. This was the first firework of the display as the skiers came into the base area and this was the one that came out the best since it wasn't completely dark yet. I got to ski a little powder in the dark on the way back to the car as icing on the cake. Fun night!
ISO 800, 40mm, f/8, 20s
love the way the colours from the firework are reflected in the snow and mountains. great capture
04-27-2014, 10:11 AM   #4
Marketplace Reseller

I nominate this photo, an excellent vantage point and execution

04-28-2014, 06:24 AM   #5

I nominate this. I really love the way the firework "paints" the snow purple.
04-30-2014, 05:36 AM   #6

I just wrote comment and it never showed up, hm hm hm, I think I have to write it all again

I nominate this for sure. I was saying I really like the colors as it makes the village look like a place from a fairy tale. And that I really like there is no grain at ISO 800, K-3 is obviously awesome. Now I really want to win it
04-30-2014, 02:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I nominate this photo. Planning pays off! Looks like it all came together. PS - the sky looks better with a little light in it anyway.

04-30-2014, 04:54 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hey thanks for the nice comments and nominations folks!
I work hard at this so it's really nice to hear.
04-30-2014, 07:46 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't remember if I commented on this image before when I saw it - but I definitely am now! That's excellent how the color plays on the peaks, and it's so nice when a lot of planning and effort pays off so nicely.
05-01-2014, 12:24 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
ISO 800, 40mm, f/8, 20s
I nominate this photo!
05-02-2014, 02:04 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nominated! You picked your location exactly right, perfected the composition and waited for the right moment. Also, you sacrificed your new years celebrations to get a stunning photo. (I would have gladly done the same to produce anything this great! )
05-02-2014, 12:22 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I nominate this photo because I'm jealous you get to ski so much. Nice work planning this one.
05-06-2014, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arizona Dave Quote
I nominate this photo because I'm jealous you get to ski so much. Nice work planning this one.
Thanks! If you wanted to ski more you should have been Utah Dave or Colorado Dave!
05-06-2014, 01:57 PM   #14

I nominate this photo. Just fantastic from planning through execution, and it paid off IMO.
05-09-2014, 07:29 PM   #15

I nominate this photo. It is really well laid out and executed. Congratulations