Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 83 Likes Search this Thread
06-02-2014, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #91

Photos: Gallery
@Spooky
This is an excellent documentation of the real world and show us that there are people out there who don't have an ordinary life. You can read a lot from his face. The story behind it just make this photo more Powerful in my opinion.

@Manntax
Thanks for showing us this powerful photo, and in my opinion, one of the best photos in the contest

06-02-2014, 03:40 PM - 3 Likes   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've struggled with this photo. For some of the reasons that Spooky gives. In general I don't care for street photography of the homeless because usually it's done claiming it's documentary and drawing attention to their plight. Capital B. Capital S. Everyone knows homeless exist and I'll bet no one has done thing one about it because of a photograph and one more black and white hip shot of the homeless processed with structure at 100 is not going to make anyone take action either. Probably the perpetrators of these types of photos have seen the work of real pros, think Magnum level, and think if I just shoot the same subject, I'll be the real deal too.

This photo is not what I describe above - at all. This is an excellent portrait that happens to be of a homeless person. This photograph stands on it's own merit. We don't need to know the man is homeless for it to be good. The tonality and presence is very good and makes it stand out in the gallery of submissions. While I'm not enamored with the backstory, I'm judging this photo on it's merit as a photo and I think it's quite good.

Nominated.
06-02-2014, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #93

Fantastic candid portrait! I nominate!
06-02-2014, 09:57 PM - 1 Like   #94

I nominate the photo for the mood and the story behind it.

06-02-2014, 10:56 PM - 1 Like   #95

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
... mushy-mashy shots of a wall we all have done enough while testing the lenses….

...My photo is controversial; is provocative; is making the viewer react : stop and think…
First- There is no wall in the image. I am not surprised at all that you didn't pick up on that.

Second- You wanted to make the viewer react? I gave you my reaction to the combination of your image and the backstory. The only aspect of my comment that was a little off topic was about second account thing, which although not directly related to your photograph, shows an interesting parallel in how you operate. Maybe you should make a third account and fix the loophole where people are allowed to post negative comments on your work?

QuoteOriginally posted by Pande Quote
@Spooky
... show us that there are people out there who don't have an ordinary life. ...
I have no problem with showing that there are people out there who don't have an ordinary life. What I do have a problem with is setting off a tired old man and running away, regardless of how bad someone wants the shot.
06-02-2014, 11:04 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by -Spooky- Quote
You wanted to make the viewer react? I gave you my reaction to the combination of your image and the backstory.
We all know your hysteric reaction already - now go and dramatize somewhere else , will you ?
06-02-2014, 11:18 PM - 1 Like   #97
Veteran Member

This photograph & the backstory have disturbed me from day one.
I do not believe that the poor and disenfranchised live to satisfy our voyeurism or to win camera contests.
If I knew nothing about how or why the photograph was taken, I might feel differently but knowing what I do
know about how & why this photograph was taken, it continues to disturb me.
I have worked with the homeless for over a decade, especially homeless veterans and finding a safe place
to nap is a wonderful and rare occurrence.
Diane Arbus took the photos she took because she saw the beauty in the subterranean lives that surround
us, she did not exploit them. Mostly, I simply wish there was some catchlight in his eyes. The swirling black
drags me in and down.
This photograph should come with a soundtrack of The Jam's "That's Entertainment."

06-02-2014, 11:38 PM   #98
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pande Quote
@Spooky This is an excellent documentation of the real world and show us that there are people out there who don't have an ordinary life. You can read a lot from his face. The story behind it just make this photo more Powerful in my opinion. @Manntax Thanks for showing us this powerful photo, and in my opinion, one of the best photos in the contest
Thank you Pande for your support and encouraging words.. I actually didn't want to stunt with his homelessness, but rather the humanity and the power of his expression that drew me in..

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
I've struggled with this photo. For some of the reasons that Spooky gives. In general I don't care for street photography of the homeless because usually it's done claiming it's documentary and drawing attention to their plight. Capital B. Capital S. Everyone knows homeless exist and I'll bet no one has done thing one about it because of a photograph and one more black and white hip shot of the homeless processed with structure at 100 is not going to make anyone take action either. Probably the perpetrators of these types of photos have seen the work of real pros, think Magnum level, and think if I just shoot the same subject, I'll be the real deal too.
This photo is not what I describe above - at all.
QuoteOriginally posted by CeciProAm Quote
This photograph & the backstory have disturbed me from day one. I do not believe that the poor and disenfranchised live to satisfy our voyeurism or to win camera contests. If I knew nothing about how or why the photograph was taken, I might feel differently but knowing what I do know about how & why this photograph was taken, it continues to disturb me. I have worked with the homeless for over a decade, especially homeless veterans and finding a safe place to nap is a wonderful and rare occurrence. Diane Arbus took the photos she took because she saw the beauty in the subterranean lives that surround us, she did not exploit them. Mostly, I simply wish there was some catchlight in his eyes. The swirling black drags me in and down. This photograph should come with a soundtrack of The Jam's "That's Entertainment."
I really appreciate the thoughtful comments of your both !!
Yes, precisely my feelings - as I have already hinted in the description, I wasn't totally comfortable the way the shot was taken - which is one of the reasons I kept it unpublished and buried on my hard drive for the last 6 years !! However I was repeatedly encouraged by the comments from friends and family to not keep the photo hidden - so finally I started to believing that the photo could be of some value to the others and simply stand on it's own merits , without bringing to the table an unnecessary pity to the man in the photo.
And this is precisely what I did - and the backstory came in later as I was asked about the man in the photo and so I decided to uncover these details. I didn't lie - which was very easy to do in this case, and I didn't stretch the story, nor did I created it to 'colourize' the otherwise bland shot in order to get someone's attention. There is nothing artificial or planned about this shot - I happened to be prepared to take it - the story is real as the man in that photo as the feelings one can read from his eyes...

@CeciProAm the photo is not of a homeless person - I am not sure if that was the case - but even if it did - what drew me to taking it was an extraordinary emotion on the face of this sleeping man and the powerful explression that he had - one can read both of these from this photo and this is what I think makes people stop and look and pay attention in this case - not the fact that it is (most probably ) a photo of a homeless. Also note the person wasn't napping in the safe place - it was right in the middle of crowded Portobello Street - and most certainly he was there to seek some attention , not to find 'a safe place to nap'
Thank you.

QuoteOriginally posted by mosfet32 Quote
I nominate this photo. Great story. You can clearly see the beginnings of being surprised in his eyes (and thinking he is going to kick your butt!). Well done. Nice that you did not post-process the heck out of it.
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Nominated. Excellent portrait. Shows again what a skilful photographer can do with a kit lens.
QuoteOriginally posted by ThomasHemming Quote
Fantastic candid portrait! I nominate!
QuoteOriginally posted by acbc Quote
I nominate the photo for the mood and the story behind it.
QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
This is an excellent portrait that happens to be of a homeless person. This photograph stands on it's own merit. We don't need to know the man is homeless for it to be good. The tonality and presence is very good and makes it stand out in the gallery of submissions. While I'm not enamored with the backstory, I'm judging this photo on it's merit as a photo and I think it's quite good. Nominated.
Thank you guys for all the support and your nominations !!

Last edited by manntax; 06-03-2014 at 01:04 AM.
06-03-2014, 04:29 AM - 1 Like   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I nominate this picture for its merits. It's a powerful portrait, skillfully shot and processed. I'd have nominated this picture without knowing anything about the backstory. When I first saw the picture, I thought the man might have been a relative or friend of yours, Manntax. There seems a kind of connection with the photographer.

For my feelings about the backstory? I can't say it better than RyanW. I could never have approached the man to photograph him, but I'm not a portrait nor a street photographer. Manntax, not only have you created (with the unwitting help of your subject) an evocative photo, but I would hazard to say you had courage to even try.
06-03-2014, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #100

Photos: Gallery
Very cool black and white!
06-03-2014, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #101

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
This is one of the very few photos of a street photography that I ever took.. after some battling I decided to enter this photo into the contest...

I wanted to show an emotion of this old long suffering man who was resting with his crutch on a bench on the side of a busy street. People were passing by and seemed not noticing him at all.
I took 1 photo on which you can see all his appearance but I didn't like it - it was too obvious and ostentatious. I decided to go for a closer shot where I wanted to focus on his face while he was sleeping there. What struck me was the fact that although he was napping - his forehead and eyebrows were lifted like he was going through some excitement or amazement. It got me absolutely hypnotized with all the deep emotions written all over his face so I got really really close...

When I was about to shot I realised that he was slowly waking up !! Imagine how devastated I was while composing as his eyes began to slowly open and they looked like someone's who has blinked in the shot !

I resisted the urge to click and run ( I knew he wouldn't be happy seeing me there !) and waited for his eyes to open wider. As the cobwebs began to clear from his eyes I took the shot above - and literally a split of a second he went ballistic realising that there was a fellow with the camera right in his face ( ok it was maybe 1,5 meters away ) .. so we immediately had to run... When I see this photo I am fully aware that I sort of not only composed the frame but also the look in his eyes. The reality was : had I pressed the shutter a 1s earlier - and his eyes would've been closed while sleeping; would I click 1/4th of a second earlier - and his eyes were half open.. .This was either to NOT have the shot at all ( with him napping with deep emotions all over his face ) - or to wait and get a different look

I know I was a bit naughty back there :P - but I really wanted to talk to the person! Sadly it was not possible immediately after I snapped the shot, so I took a nice sized print of this photo and went in the same place next week - hoping that I would meet him and talk to and hand the print over and somehow clear the air so to speak :P - but sadly I never met him again .

The title is reflecting what I saw in his face while he was sleeping and I am very happy that this photo I eventually took is actually showing all these emotions also through the look of his eyes.

>>-manntax-->
I nominate this photo. It's a terrific B&W street photography !
06-03-2014, 03:09 PM   #102
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
I nominate this picture for its merits. It's a powerful portrait, skillfully shot and processed. I'd have nominated this picture without knowing anything about the backstory. When I first saw the picture, I thought the man might have been a relative or friend of yours, Manntax. There seems a kind of connection with the photographer. For my feelings about the backstory? I can't say it better than RyanW. I could never have approached the man to photograph him, but I'm not a portrait nor a street photographer. Manntax, not only have you created (with the unwitting help of your subject) an evocative photo, but I would hazard to say you had courage to even try.
QuoteOriginally posted by newzer Quote
Very cool black and white!
QuoteOriginally posted by mike2034 Quote
I nominate this photo. It's a terrific B&W street photography !
I am unspeakably pleased to know that so many viewers have seen in this photo something of a certain value.
Thank you so much for all these nominations and your kind comments !
' >' manntax
06-03-2014, 11:47 PM - 1 Like   #103

I nominate this photo. Great candid. It is... human, let me say.
06-04-2014, 03:38 AM   #104
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by milmo Quote
I nominate this photo. Great candid. It is... human, let me say.
I would like to thank all the voters that have nominated my photo to the round 2. I wouldn't make it without all your support and encouragement !

THANK YOU!

'>' manntax
06-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #105

Although you know my reaction to this image, I would like to congratulate you on the many nominations and moving on to the next round!! Best of luck!
« Morning Glow | M31 »