Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2014, 06:40 PM - 1 Like   #46

Portrait

This is a terrific portrait and I nominate it. I think the exposure and focus are just right. And yes, it's quite an expression on his face.

Last edited by jwcjrccc; 05-08-2014 at 06:55 PM.
05-08-2014, 08:04 PM - 1 Like   #47
icy

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very intereseting portrait; the eyes are very lively and seem to ask me for something. I nonimate it!
05-09-2014, 02:27 AM - 1 Like   #48

Photos: Gallery
I thought this was an avatar - now I see it's a nominee for the contest.

Kudos for that impressive portrait - Nominated !
05-09-2014, 03:42 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Nominated, again, as it's a great image.

Regards

05-09-2014, 05:13 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SKYoung Quote
i can never get over how much expression can be captured in a subjects eye with a good portrait. you've done that here. i love the choice for black and white too!
QuoteOriginally posted by jwcjrccc Quote
This is a terrific portrait and I nominate it. I think the exposure and focus are just right. And yes, it's quite an expression on his face.
QuoteOriginally posted by icy Quote
Very intereseting portrait; the eyes are very lively and seem to ask me for something. I nonimate it!
QuoteOriginally posted by Yuval Quote
I thought this was an avatar - now I see it's a nominee for the contest.
QuoteOriginally posted by sam-joseph Quote
Nominated, again, as it's a great image.
I can't thank you enough for all the encouragement and your nominations !!!

>>-manntax-->
05-10-2014, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #51

Thanks to your comment on my photo, manntax, I could get to see this post of yours, and I am happy I did !

Wow! Lovely photo, with lots of character and seems to tell a story. Great light and details in the textures.

I nominate this photo !
05-10-2014, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #52

I nominate this great photograph...right place at the right time...thank you for the story...well done.

05-10-2014, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
This is one of the very few photos of a street photography that I ever took.. after some battling I decided to enter this photo into the contest...

I wanted to show an emotion of this old long suffering man who was resting with his crutch on a bench on the side of a busy street. People were passing by and seemed not noticing him at all.
I took 1 photo on which you can see all his appearance but I didn't like it - it was too obvious and ostentatious. I decided to go for a closer shot where I wanted to focus on his face while he was sleeping there. What struck me was the fact that although he was napping - his forehead and eyebrows were lifted like he was going through some excitement or amazement. It got me absolutely hypnotized with all the deep emotions written all over his face so I got really really close...

When I was about to shot I realised that he was slowly waking up !! Imagine how devastated I was while composing as his eyes began to slowly open and they looked like someone's who has blinked in the shot !

I resisted the urge to click and run ( I knew he wouldn't be happy seeing me there !) and waited for his eyes to open wider. As the cobwebs began to clear from his eyes I took the shot above - and literally a split of a second he went ballistic realising that there was a fellow with the camera right in his face ( ok it was maybe 1,5 meters away ) .. so we immediately had to run... When I see this photo I am fully aware that I sort of not only composed the frame but also the look in his eyes. The reality was : had I pressed the shutter a 1s earlier - and his eyes would've been closed while sleeping; would I click 1/4th of a second earlier - and his eyes were half open.. .This was either to NOT have the shot at all ( with him napping with deep emotions all over his face ) - or to wait and get a different look

I know I was a bit naughty back there :P - but I really wanted to talk to the person! Sadly it was not possible immediately after I snapped the shot, so I took a nice sized print of this photo and went in the same place next week - hoping that I would meet him and talk to and hand the print over and somehow clear the air so to speak :P - but sadly I never met him again .

The title is reflecting what I saw in his face while he was sleeping and I am very happy that this photo I eventually took is actually showing all these emotions also through the look of his eyes.

>>-manntax-->
I certainly nominate this photo. Sometimes the best shots are not exactly how we planned it but you were certainly set up for lighting and angle. For a first ot 1000th street shot, this is good.
05-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ulises Quote
Thanks to your comment on my photo, manntax, I could get to see this post of yours, and I am happy I did ! Wow! Lovely photo, with lots of character and seems to tell a story. Great light and details in the textures. I nominate this photo !
QuoteOriginally posted by Hogdriver Quote
I nominate this great photograph...right place at the right time...thank you for the story...well done.
QuoteOriginally posted by graham641 Quote
I certainly nominate this photo. Sometimes the best shots are not exactly how we planned it but you were certainly set up for lighting and angle. For a first ot 1000th street shot, this is good.
Ulises, Hogdriver, graham641 - thank you guys for the kind words - very much appreciated! Both the comments and your nominations makes me feel honoured !
Thank you !

>>-manntax-->
05-11-2014, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #55

Great Shot!!!

I nominate this picture
05-12-2014, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #56
Banned

I nominate this photo. I did look at it a few times and it is simply a portrait that takes you into the life of the old man. Clearly he had a life that had many difficulty's, but still looking as a strong man. Your story is great, but don't make that working method your way off shooting streetlife
05-12-2014, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #57
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I nominate this photo. I did look at it a few times and it is simply a portrait that takes you into the life of the old man. Clearly he had a life that had many difficulty's, but still looking as a strong man. Your story is great, but don't make that working method your way off shooting streetlife
Since you've red the story you know that it is a creation that started to exist on it's own.. on the fly, altered by a sudden awakening of this poor, old man. Although the story might seems controversial to some, I have nothing to be ashamed of and I am glad that I didn't stop framing back then. Now his dignity and the humanity that emanates from this picture so powerfully are visible and perhaps influential to so many viewers.

Had he slept without an interruption ? The story of taking this photo would've been very similar to many that we all know and see... a photographer saw something, framed, composed, took the shot.... walked away...
saw something... composed.. took the shot... walked away...
saw something...

I am grateful for the nomination as well as your comment. I am very glad that you've perceived the photo exactly how I see it

>>-manntax-->
05-12-2014, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #58

Beautiful portrait. Nominated
05-13-2014, 12:22 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Corto Quote
Great Shot!!! I nominate this picture
QuoteOriginally posted by manny2000 Quote
Beautiful portrait. Nominated
Thank you Corto and manny2000 for your nominations and the kind words !!

>>-manntax-->
05-13-2014, 04:13 AM - 1 Like   #60
Inactive Account

Great picture! Nominated!
« Morning Glow | M31 »