Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-28-2014, 08:27 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Bellingham Bay at Sunrise
Lens: DA 50-135 Camera: K5 

The challenge in taking this image is to select the appropriate exposure time. If the exposure time is too long, then the boat becomes blurry. If it is too short, then the ocean waves are more noticeable. I wanted the water surface to be smooth and the boat to be as sharp as possible. After some trial and error I found the right settings that convey the beauty and serenity of that moment.

The City of Bellingham is the largest city in Whatcom County and the twelfth largest city in Washington State with over 80,000 residents. The city is flanked by Mt. Baker (10,781 feet elevation) and the Twin Sisters Mountain (7,021 feet). Being surrounded by such natural beauty, Bellingham is a great place for sport enthusiasts and photographers. One can literally go skiing in the morning on Mt. Baker and spend the afternoon kayaking on Bellingham Bay. An annual event called Ski to Sea race exemplifies the outdoor opportunities; it is a 'team relay race made up of seven legs: cross country skiing, downhill skiing (or snowboarding), running, road biking, canoeing (2 person), mountain biking, and kayaking.'

Best regards, from the City of Subdued Excitement.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
04-28-2014, 08:35 PM   #2
Marketplace Reseller

I nominate this photo, an excellent balance
04-28-2014, 08:53 PM   #3
mee
Veteran Member

A well executed photograph all around - boat is placed well, good reflection off of the water, interesting clouds with a golden hue peeking through, and the soft glow of the city lights in the background.

nominated!
04-28-2014, 09:07 PM   #4
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
Nominated, for the aforementioned balance. Just drove through that area a couple weekends ago.

04-29-2014, 01:51 PM   #5

Hi
This is a nice picture but why you didn't use the bracketing for such kind of challenge as you wrote with your k5? Using Photomatix for example to mixk the exposure
It will really change your life !

By the way Bravo
04-29-2014, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by oleoproteus Quote
Hi
This is a nice picture but why you didn't use the bracketing for such kind of challenge as you wrote with your k5? Using Photomatix for example to mixk the exposure
It will really change your life !

By the way Bravo
Oleoproteus,
I prefer to use manual mode, with mirror up to take the sharpest image possible. This image was 30 second long. I could not bracket image for longer than 30 sec. Digital blending is a great technique. It takes time to do it well. I prefer spending my time behind the camera than a computer screen. Thank you for your interest in my photo.

Last edited by jnguyen; 04-29-2014 at 02:16 PM.
06-02-2014, 09:18 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
It seems a picture. Good image!

06-02-2014, 03:49 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I nominate this photo!
06-02-2014, 04:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Gorgeous shot, really well composed, great exposure.
Nominated!

As this was a 30 second exposure, how did you get the boat so sharp? Was that a different exposure that you layered in later?
06-02-2014, 05:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoJerry Quote
Gorgeous shot, really well composed, great exposure.
Nominated!

As this was a 30 second exposure, how did you get the boat so sharp? Was that a different exposure that you layered in later?
GeoJerry,
This was a single exposure without layering or blending. It was a very calm morning; no wind and so the waves were subdued. Thank you for your interest in my photo.