Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2014, 04:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Frangipani Flowers
Lens: Sigma 10-20 Camera: K5 

I changed my submission for the competition.

I am not sure how to change the thread name to remove the word abstract.

So here is my offering.

Thanks for taking the time to have a look.

Cheers and good luck with your entry.

Last edited by FreeSpirit9; 06-29-2014 at 03:31 AM.
05-14-2014, 03:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I really wanted to like this shot - from the thumbnail it looked like something interesting. The abstractness of this is somehow dubious to me but sadly the main issue is that this shot is not sharp - not that it is soft - it simple looks like the lens was focused behind the part we see - or the camera shake was introduced perhaps ? And for a macro shot it is basically a kill since the only purpose of doing it is to bring in sharp focus what otherwise invisible the the naked eye. Just few pennies worth of critique from me - hopefully constructive.
Best wishes!

>>-manntax-->
05-14-2014, 06:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
I really wanted to like this shot - from the thumbnail it looked like something interesting. The abstractness of this is somehow dubious to me but sadly the main issue is that this shot is not sharp - not that it is soft - it simple looks like the lens was focused behind the part we see - or the camera shake was introduced perhaps ? And for a macro shot it is basically a kill since the only purpose of doing it is to bring in sharp focus what otherwise invisible the the naked eye. Just few pennies worth of critique from me - hopefully constructive.
Best wishes!

>>-manntax-->
Thanks for your critique. I agree with what you have said. It was a difficult shot to take (100% crop) with what turned out to be (discovered later) a faulty lens (sigma 10-20). Your comments are fair. Unfortunately I will have to wait till next year for the flowers to bloom once more. By then I should have found a replacement wide lens that will give me the colours and better DOF. I posted it because it is a good shot (but not brilliant) and I wanted to get it out there for a comment such as yours. Much appreciated.

Cheers
05-14-2014, 06:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FreeSpirit9 Quote
Thanks for your critique. I agree with what you have said. It was a difficult shot to take (100% crop) with what turned out to be (discovered later) a faulty lens (sigma 10-20). Your comments are fair. Unfortunately I will have to wait till next year for the flowers to bloom once more. By then I should have found a replacement wide lens that will give me the colours and better DOF. I posted it because it is a good shot (but not brilliant) and I wanted to get it out there for a comment such as yours. Much appreciated.
Glad I helped - I agree the idea is definitely worth exploring - but If I may suggest something - try to get even your 50mm prime ( or any prime for that matter ) and mount it on an extension tube - or even reversed - you will get better sharpness , great colours and bokeh - no need to go for a super wide angle lens to get shot like that.

Also I advise to edit your post and select something in focus for the contest - there is still plenty of time to qualify for a second round.
Best of luck!

>>-manntax-->

« Elk | Best photo »