Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-29-2014, 08:05 AM - 3 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery
Cobbler, Luostarinmäki
Lens: Samsung 12-24 f/4 Camera: Pentax K-30 

I took this one last year on a trip to Finland, when visiting my wife's folks. There's an area in Turku's city centre that had remained largely untouched from when it was built in the 18th and early 19th centuries, up until it was opened as a museum in 1940. It's not just remarkable for its age (it's one of the earliest museums of its type that I've visited), but also because you might think that the Finns had other things to worry about at the time.

The museum itself illustrates how residents of Turku lived and worked when the area was built. It's refreshingly free of explanatory signs and modern clutter - if you want to understand what something is, or what people are doing, you need to talk to the workers

The lighting conditions were relatively tricky (wide dynamic range, and quite dark overall), but I was able to work around this by merging three exposures taken using the K-30. The good low-light performance helped a lot. The Samsung 12-24 is generally considered to be a landscape lens, but its delicate handling of blues works pretty well here.

05-12-2014, 03:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I like this shot - there is something missing in modern life style that I can see on a face of that woman. I like how you've handled the white balance in such a tricky interior - the light also seemed to be really hard to work with - well done with exposure. The only gripe I have is the framing ( or crop ) - I think that in this particular case the square-ish format would work much better - I would guide the crop where the black shoes starts vertically and slightly above where blue shoes starts horizontally. That would reduce this distortion-perspective-effect which makes the shoes stand out too much in your current crop. Just few my personal impressions - pennies worth so no worries Still a nomination from me for a very good photo taken in very tricky conditions and excellent , naturally looking post-processing. Best of luck!

>>-manntax-->
05-12-2014, 04:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I nominate this photo. I love the story it tells. There is so much detail everywhere you look. The colour scheme is wicked too, brings the whole thing together!
05-12-2014, 05:47 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great photograph and the explanation and work is amazing. I really love this for lots of reasons. I nominate it if needed, great portrait.

05-13-2014, 03:32 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
I like this shot - there is something missing in modern life style that I can see on a face of that woman. I like how you've handled the white balance in such a tricky interior - the light also seemed to be really hard to work with - well done with exposure. The only gripe I have is the framing ( or crop ) - I think that in this particular case the square-ish format would work much better - I would guide the crop where the black shoes starts vertically and slightly above where blue shoes starts horizontally. That would reduce this distortion-perspective-effect which makes the shoes stand out too much in your current crop. Just few my personal impressions - pennies worth so no worries Still a nomination from me for a very good photo taken in very tricky conditions and excellent , naturally looking post-processing. Best of luck!

>>-manntax-->
Thanks for the nomination! Yeah, the cropping's something I really struggled with - there's a lot going on in the details, so I guess I've been overly-precious about cropping anything out. I've been meaning to print this one out for the mother in law, so I'll revisit that when I take another look. Thanks again!

Macquot and SKYoung: Thanks guys, I'm relatively new to this stuff, so it's appreciated!
05-14-2014, 04:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Lovely, nominated !
05-14-2014, 05:50 PM   #7

Good piece of work reportage. It reminds me of some of the shots taken by Michael Freeman. Nominated.

05-30-2014, 05:43 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really nice use of multiple exposures. Plus . . . it's Suomi.

Nominated.
05-31-2014, 08:21 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
Like very much the control of light and the interesting subject. From other comments, you had the skill to manipulate the light. Well done and good luck.
06-02-2014, 02:36 AM   #10

Nominated! Reminds me somehow on the old flamish masterpieces in painting . . .
06-02-2014, 10:46 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks very much guys!
06-03-2014, 03:02 AM   #12
Veteran Member

as above, I nominate this photo.