Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
05-04-2014, 06:20 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sunset at Gettysburg
Lens: Sigma 18-125 Camera: Pentax K5 

My family and I attended the 150th anniversary of Gettysburg. It was very hot with a threat of an afternoon/evening thunderstorm in the forecast each day. On the third day, during the reenactment of Pickett's charge, very dark and ominous storm clouds gathered. Fortunately the rain and lightning held off until after the reenactment. We returned to our campground and when the rain let up a bit, we went up to the area of the battlefield known as the "Highwater" mark where the Confederate line breached the Union line. The clouds were still very dark and heavy, with a little light rain falling. As I wandered along Hancock Ave. I approached a photgrapher. He had his camera mounted on a tripod (with a rain cover) and was using a neutral density filter/long exposure to capture the swiflty moving low cloud cover. I said "Hi", he looked and then grumbled at me. I said "Clouds are really moving," he grumbled again. I wished him luck with his shooting, and he grumbled something back at me as I walked away. I chose to go in the opposit direction of where he was standing. I walked to the highwater mark area. As I came up to a row of cannons, the sun suddenly broke through the heavy clouds, producing an absolutely stunning sunset and with an interesting refelction on this one cannon. This lasted for only a few moments, but it was pretty spectacular. I suppose I should thank the grumpy photographer, as had he been the least bit friendly, I would have missed this shot.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-04-2014, 06:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Amazing shot indeed and I love the backstory ! You did very good job at capturing an uniqueness of that moment - the colors the sky and reflections on the cannon works absolutely together ! A nomination from me for a good start !

--manntax

Last edited by manntax; 05-06-2014 at 02:12 PM.
05-04-2014, 07:34 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you very much Manntax...my family loves to tell the story, but they are more amazed that I actually took a moment to enjoy the view before I picked up the camera.
05-04-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
wow! i nominate this photo!

05-04-2014, 12:13 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I nominate this beautiful photo! Good luck.
05-04-2014, 12:24 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
great light & atmosphere - nominated!
05-04-2014, 02:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I nominate this photo for the capture of the magnificent colors of the sunset!

05-04-2014, 08:06 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you MK-x, Arizona Dave, paulh and Marquis for your kind words and nominations.
05-04-2014, 09:07 PM   #9

Love the color. Maybe could have toned down the sky a little.
05-05-2014, 05:15 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Church Guy Quote
Love the color. Maybe could have toned down the sky a little.
Thank you Church Guy...when I get the chance I will definitely look at the original raw file. I don't do a lot of pp as I am still learning!
05-05-2014, 06:35 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wonderful work and story. I love the light reflection on the canon. Nominated!!
05-05-2014, 01:45 PM   #12
Banned

I nominate this photo. Looking at your exif just gives me the feeling that you presented a wonderfull image. A good example off making the best out off your gear.
05-06-2014, 04:26 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I nominate this photo. Looking at your exif just gives me the feeling that you presented a wonderfull image. A good example off making the best out off your gear.
Thank you for the nomination. It was one of those hastily made decisions, in between raindrops, to head over to the battlefield that evening and I just grabbed the camera leaving the rest of my gear behind.

This sunset and sky lasted just a moment...the other pictures I took that evening was of a rainbow over the Pennsylvania monument taken just after this picture, the sky still has some purple coloring, but isn't nearly as dramatic.

QuoteOriginally posted by EricBrown Quote
Wonderful work and story. I love the light reflection on the canon. Nominated!!
Thank you very much for the nomination. It was the light reflecting from the cannon that caught my eye as the sun started to come through the clouds.
05-06-2014, 10:29 AM   #14

I have been to Gettysburg several times and I know where this row of cannons sit. I nominate this photo
05-06-2014, 04:42 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nanny10 Quote
I have been to Gettysburg several times and I know where this row of cannons sit. I nominate this photo
Thank you for the nomination nanny10...I truly enjoyed the time I spent there last summer