Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2014, 02:41 PM   #1

Watson Mill Bridge
Lens: OLYMPUS M.14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II R Camera: Olympus E-PM1 

This photo was taken at Watson Mill Bridge State Park near Comer, Georgia, in the afternoon of July 14, 2012. Earlier in the day, I had taken photos of Commerce, Georgia, and decided to stop at Watson Mill Bridge State Park on my way back to Atlanta, Georgia. It was a lovely day and there were white clouds during the entire afternoon. As described by the Georgia Department of Natural Resources website, this park "contains the longest covered bridge in the state, spanning 229 feet across the South Fork River. Built in 1885 by Washington (W.W.) King, son of freed slave and famous covered-bridge builder Horace King, the bridge is supported by a town lattice truss system held firmly together with wooden pins." It is one of only 20 covered bridges now existing in Georgia. I had left my Pentax DSLR camera home on this day and was shooting with a recently acquired Olympus E-PM1 and the Olympus M. 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 IIR kit lens. The camera was handheld when this shot was taken. The technical information about this photo is as follows: f/10.0; 14mm (28mm equivalent in 35mm); 1/125; ISO 200; Aperture Priority AE. The photo was shot in RAW and was processed using Lightroom 4. In Lightroom, the contrast was increased somewhat and some sharpening and noise reduction were applied. Also, I lightened the shadows slightly to reveal the lattice truss system of the bridge. I then made some perspective adjustments using DXO Viewpoint 2.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-PM1  Photo 

Last edited by jwcjrccc; 05-14-2014 at 08:55 PM. Reason: To add more descriptive thread title
05-06-2014, 02:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow that is a fantastic piece of historical architecture !! I love these old relics of the past - they are adorable ! What I like about this photo is the textures and the colors you have managed to capture ( considering the tool you've used !) - I almost can feel the smell that construction must have What I would do try though in in the processing I would see how the photo looks like with that tiny gap cropped out on the right edge of the photo. I would probably cut it so the viewer gets stronger impression of the lengthiness of this bridge - but then the character of this shot would change from a bit historical-documentary into something in a form of abstract architecture I guess...
Regardless a nomination from me

--manntax
05-07-2014, 09:39 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Wow that is a fantastic piece of historical architecture !! I love these old relics of the past - they are adorable ! What I like about this photo is the textures and the colors you have managed to capture ( considering the tool you've used !) - I almost can feel the smell that construction must have What I would do try though in in the processing I would see how the photo looks like with that tiny gap cropped out on the right edge of the photo. I would probably cut it so the viewer gets stronger impression of the lengthiness of this bridge - but then the character of this shot would change from a bit historical-documentary into something in a form of abstract architecture I guess...
Regardless a nomination from me

--manntax
Thank you for your comment and suggestion. I appreciate it.
06-01-2014, 11:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Nominated