Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2014, 02:34 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Winters grasp
Lens: Pentax FA50 1.4 Camera: Pentax K-30 

Just like a small baby grasping it's parents fingers for the first time, gentle and tentative.

The photo was taken with 10 seconds exposure behind a waterfall the first cold day of this latest winter here in Sweden(-7c). Ice was just beginning to form as water spray ran down the stones. And the formations looked like they were defying gravity. It was taken early in the morning and by mid day the ice was over 10cm thick.

It was taken with a Pentax K-30, Pentax FA50 1.4 lens, Hoya variable ND filter, Manfrotto 190xcpro3 and DSLR remote for android by bitshift. Edited in Lightzone to add some saturation and contrast, then in gimp just to put my mark on it.

Attached Images

05-08-2014, 05:55 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I nominate this photo

Reason : Great moment, light and composition
05-09-2014, 02:38 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the nomination but I fear that I kicked the saturation and contrast up a bit too high, I did the job during a coffee break at work, and I know that my monitors at work aren't the best. So even though I took less than was needed for the image to look it's best on my monitors at work I noticed now when I revisited with my home PC that it is a bit over the top if anyone is curious, here is the original image, straight from the camera: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-sMoWpVUo1Vo/UthrMILTznI/AAAAAAAAAXs/fltorfKh3ww/s1600/70-faste.JPG

as you can see it lacks punch but I think I may have knocked it out with post processing instead of just giving it the slap it needed.
05-09-2014, 05:45 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
It does not lack any punch whatsoever, and for my humble opinion it is great as-is.

As to your reservation about the degree of saturation present in this version - you may ask Adam if replacing with the original would not bend the rules.

Sometimes, away from our usual monitor, we are urged to change the parameters, influenced by the current settings of another monitor with it's different brightness and colour setting. Some, carry a monitor-calibration kit as they travel along, but the best advice I think it to make a point, editing all your photographs on the same calibrated monitor, and then view the resuly on random selection of other monitors, set as they are.

Bottom line is - I nominated this one because I like and appreciate it, as-is.

05-10-2014, 01:51 PM   #5

Original Poster
You are right, although I don't gave any calibration tool for my monitor I do have a good dual IPS panel setup at home with color profile from the manufacturer, not perfect but close enough for my needs. Just didn't want to wait until I got home to enter the contest Well, you win some and you lose some.